My GSD Titan - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2012, 10:13 AM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

"Well not that I don't appreciate your guys' input, but I've already made up my mind and im determined to follow through with my decisions" --- so why ask?

" It's one of the reasons I graduated HS at 16." ....... Good for you . I hope you acquired a love for learning because that is just a begining . You have now enrolled into the "school of life" where the most meaningful lessons are learned .

Should the dog be bred . No .
Should a dog be bred by an utter novice without guidance , support , mentoring , standards, an appreciation of what is correct , without a foreward looking eye to what needs to be addressed, balanced "for versatilty of the bloodline" without any experience in working a dog, seeing the breed at work ---- NO , you are not prepared, and the only person who would breed to a male without the best of best , is one who is looking for life generating biological material to create money fetching pups.
To help the most versatile bloodlines you would need to invest your time and interest for decades to come and take these improvements somewhere .

If you do , okay , then the forum is a great arena for topics , issues, start off with a thread called "IceBerg breeders" , ask questions , stick around. Use this male dog as a learning experience and then branch out .

"And I actually just got the AKC papers to fill out because his mother and father were both purebred." Okay do you want to share what names you are putting down for sire and dam so we can look into the pedigree ? Actually this is an issue with me -- the BREEDER should enter the information for sire and dam - they have to warrant that the information is true and accurate according to their breeding records. Handing off papers for someone to fill in the sire and dam information is an invitation for "created" papers that are not worth toilet paper , maybe even listing a sire or dam that is not even reproductive (spayed / neutered ) . NOT saying YOU , but I do know of several litters where there were misrepresentations -- .

Have you looked at GOOD breeders sites, I'll provide some that I know of , others can offer their own , there are lots of breeders on the forum that could fill the description. I know this one best , my own , http://wwww.carmspack.com , Lee of Wolfstraum von Wolfstraum: Background Lisa of ZuTreunhanden ZuTreuenhanden
Anne of Adlerstein Adler Stein Kennels-Photo Gallery Five

not meaning to exclude anyone - chose the ones I know , on this forum , who can supply input , if they so desire , plus , the fact that these people do have a program which builds on past litters, many generations deep into guiding the breed forward .

why so secure in your decision when your first post is riddled with doubt , asking if "we" thought he was purebred "So I just got a German Shepherd that is supposedly purebred. I'm waiting on papers from his previous owner. ....And does he look pure to you guys? "
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2012, 11:52 AM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Just because someone has a nice well mannered dog doesn't mean it should be bred.
Health tests need to be done at a minimum. This is to prevent propagating allergies, hip dysplasia, elbow dysplasia and eye problems into the breed. You are not going to be creating "diversity" you'll just be creating crippled dogs.

The dog needs to be proven (show ring or working ring or field in some cases).

The dog's temperament needs to be proven - when mixed with the wrong bitch, these two could produce and entire litter that is unstable and needs to be euthanized before they are a year of age.

Why do you think we'd be saying all this? Because we want to wreck your fun?

Consider that it could be many of us have years of experience, if not in the breeding world, in the rescue world where we see hundreds of thousands of puppies JUST LIKE THE ONES YOU'LL BE PRODUCING, they wind up on death row, if lucky (and if a good temperament and good health) maybe in rescue.
We see far more being kept in horrible conditions because the most you'll be able to ask for your "purebred puppies" is around $300-400 and anyone can afford that.

You will never attract quality buyers with that "stud dog". He barely resembles a GSD, sadly enough.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 09:37 AM   #13 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Instead of adding on to what everyone else is saying, I will take a different point of view for you. I think there is nothing wrong with breeding your dog if he meets a few criteria. An AKC registration is not nearly enough. That just shows what breed your dog is. It does not mean your dog is breed worthy.

To start off you need to take your dog and title in with at least the following:
BH
Schutzhund Obedience and Pattern for BH

AD
Sirius Dog

IPO1
Schutzhund - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and a breed surveyed to at a minimum a KKL2

SCHH3 IPO3 KKL1 ?? whats this all mean?

Your dog also needs to be health screened. Below is a good link of the recommended screenings:
http://www.caninehealthinfo.org/brdreqs.html?breed=GS

If your dog is really breed worthy, these should be no problem. After these are done, you MAY find an owner of a quality female that would be interested in breeding to your boy. Then again you may not. You may have to do all this again to your own female. Many breeders have to breed their males to their own females because there is no out side interest for their studs. It may take some time, but there are really no shortcuts to anything of value in life. Especially when it comes to breeding.

Good luck!
robk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.