Examples of Conformation - Page 7 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2012, 08:12 PM   #61 (permalink)
Rei
Elite Member

No problem, it helped me a lot as well. I have a lot of appreciation for the experts of this board and the knowledge they share with us.

The pictures are taken a month or two apart, he probably lost 3 to 5 lbs of fat maximum. The difference is not so much the weight loss as it is the weight loss + loss of undercoat + stance/posture combination. In the first (before) picture, we were strolling along the open field and I grabbed him on whim for a stack as a part of our morning routine. He was very relaxed, bored, and accustomed to holding the stack for me. In the second picture, he was stacked and then I pretended there was a cat around (with a "hey kitty!" cue) so he was tensed, alert, and on a look out for a cat.

But spotting that is also a matter of being able to pick out that the individual parts of his structure and conformation and seeing that they have not changed as much as they have become differently presented. Xeph on this board had pointed out that while he lost substance between the first and second stacks (which I good naturedly complained about), he also shows off his high withers better and presents an overall smoother picture once he became more alert.

The fact that his mouth is closed also makes a difference between the two stacks - he does not have as strong of a head as I would like, but when his mouth is open his secondary sex characteristics appear sufficient. When his mouth is closed, he appears, in my opinion, ,to have a bit of a bitch head. Love my dog, though. I do still find him well balanced enough for me, and his structure certainly can keep up with his mental stamina and drive.

Bree - 2/11/08 Tuxedo DLH Cat

Raina - 8/12/11 Black Smoke DLH Cat

Last edited by Rei; 11-08-2012 at 08:14 PM.
Rei is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 08:20 PM   #62 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I wish I could get another critique on Koda, in a better stack and maybe when her posture/expression are more confident. But I only have one recent pic that matches that a bit And I do see, looking over her stacks, that a couple where she is "smiling" make her head seem more masculine LOL
Old 11-08-2012, 08:44 PM   #63 (permalink)
Rei
Elite Member

Well, I post critique threads like nobody's business. I think everyone must be sick of them by now

We practice stacking as a part of our routine morning walk. Sometimes I can get a good shot and sometimes I won't. It's been 3 1/2 years of practice and it's still a matter of luck.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:48 PM   #64 (permalink)
Knighted Member

My two biggest issues: Getting her hock at a 90 degree angle (I always over-extend for some reason), and getting her to look interested as I move away. Usually she gives me an irritated or pitiful face >.>
I got a great stack today when she knew I didn't have my phone or camera
Old 11-08-2012, 09:19 PM   #65 (permalink)
Rei
Elite Member

That's usually how it goes - awesome stack, perfect representation of my dog's structure, reaching for the camera before I miss it and... oh, wait, I don't even have it on hand. Thanks, Dog!

The alert expression is the most difficult for me. I only figured out the "hey, kitty!" trick a little over a month ago. A great on watch expression, but I know he'll hold the stay. It is usually easier if you have a helper to take the picture while you catch the dog's attention (as qbchottu recommended to me before). I know others who have thrown paper bags or toys in front of the dog for their attention. I usually use his Bad Cuz or a Wubba, although treats will work if I am going for a series of pictures (I just continuously chuck hotdog pieces in front of him the moment he loses interest).

Old 11-08-2012, 09:22 PM   #66 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I'll definitely try, when Matt returns from Conn., to get him to help me out (: Maybe I can get one using someone else or a toy/stick/food before then. Great idea!!!
Old 11-08-2012, 10:06 PM   #67 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rei View Post

Absolutely gorgeous. How could I have missed this one?? That weight suits him so much better - I am so happy with his defined waist. He is maturing. It is noticeable. Beautiful!!
qbchottu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 10:48 PM   #68 (permalink)
Rei
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GsdLoverr729 View Post
I'll definitely try, when Matt returns from Conn., to get him to help me out (: Maybe I can get one using someone else or a toy/stick/food before then. Great idea!!!
Best of luck! I try to reel friends in to help out occasionally. They usually wonder what in the world is going on, and just finally decide that I'm flat out crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbchottu View Post
Absolutely gorgeous. How could I have missed this one?? That weight suits him so much better - I am so happy with his defined waist. He is maturing. It is noticeable. Beautiful!!
Thank you very much, that means a lot to me! I was also just thrilled to have him back in shape again. I have a lot of appreciation for dogs in good physical condition (especially considering the health benefits), so it felt good to flip back to the past pictures and see that. And luckily, it is fairly easy to maintain that once we get him to the point.

It surprises me how much he continues to change in maturity. I thought he was done at 2 years, but the difference in the last year (between ages 2 and 3) was astounding. I have no doubt that he'll continue to change, even at 3 1/2. No complaints here!

Old 11-09-2012, 06:53 PM   #69 (permalink)
Knighted Member

LOL! Luckily, my two best friends each own a shepherd. And they understand my OCD nature completely. One has a working line, the other has an ASL.
So we all work together on our stacking, learning about the sports, learning conformation, etc. One of them would like to get involved in SchH or SaR (I want to try SchH sooo badly!), so we both obsess over that. And my friend with the showline is more on the conformation/show side of learning.

Sooo never alone :3
Matt, however, thinks I'm a lunatic
Old 11-09-2012, 06:54 PM   #70 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Xeph Send a message via Yahoo to Xeph

You know how I feel about Trent HE has a beautifully high wither. Your stacks have also improved greatly in the time you've had him.

He is a wonderful representative of the breed

Strauss: Service dog/old man
Wesson: The soon to be champion
Loch: Service dog in training
Barrett: The Frikken Tikken
Xeph is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.