Larger than normal German Shepherds - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2011, 08:20 AM   #21 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I personally think Rei and Abbyk9 have both made some excellent points and the OP will benefit from reading their posts. JMO
cliffson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2011, 08:37 AM   #22 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmac25 View Post
I have read online that there are breeders who specialize in breeding larger german shepherds that are in the weight range of 100-140 lbs. How can I find a breeder like this?
Are you talking about a King or Shiloh Shepherd or one of the sites that lists "large old fashioned straight backed" type sheperds
I have a shepherd from one of the "old fashiond" type breeders and while I know many people on this forum do not like or agree with the breeding practice, I love mine and would buy a second pup from the breeder I bought mine from, you can pm me if you would like to know more about mine.
Rowdy (MyHearts Red Treasure) Australian Shepherd
Franksmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2011, 09:43 AM   #23 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Most breeds have the same issues. Compare a pet lab to a top dollar hunting lab and it's no different than a pet gsd and a drivey sport gsd

Whoever was talking about sport breeders and pet quality... Both my breeders had both in both litters. Any breeder who says all their dogs are sport quality is likely wrong. Even so, only a small subset of the best of any line should be breeding otherwise we get too dilute

Also, OP be aware the bigger the dog the bigger the chances of bloat
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald, 2 x SchH3, Kkl 1

Last edited by hunterisgreat; 02-10-2011 at 09:46 AM.
hunterisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2011, 10:30 AM   #24 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I think sometimes we forget that most people aren't looking for a dog that is the perfect definition of the breed standard, and while most of us on this forum understand what a true GSD should be, there are many varying opinions on this. I've been a GSD owner for about 5 months now and have developed my own opinion based on what I read here and also from what I hear at my local GSD club. But when I was looking for my first GSD the King, Shiloh, and "big boned" definately sparked my interest. This was of course before I knew what I wanted out of my dog. As much as most of us don't want to see these large GSDs bred, they will be, because there is a market for them (and the breeder's websites make quite an argument on why it is a better dog). There were many times when I thought, "Wouldn't it be cool to walk down the street with a 150 lb german shepherd." But then say you do get a very prey driven one, at 150 lbs thats probably uncontrollable.

We have to remember that as much as we don't want those dogs called GSDs, to the rest of the world they are exactly that. I can almost guarantee that a 150 lb saddleback would be considered more purebred by most people than my sable pup (6 months ago I would've been in that camp). These are probably dogs that should have their own breed, but because of their close ties to the GSD they won't, and all we can do here is warn of any kinds of issues these dogs might have due to their size or questionable temperment.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2011, 10:50 AM   #25 (permalink)

Well I am a little confused..So many responses by people that know much more about dogs in general and GSD's even more so. I certainly don't want a large GSD that acts like a lab. I want a GSD I was just hoping I could get one thats larger. Do the king shepherds act like GSD's? Sorry if my questions seem on the stupid end but I am a little confused on exactly what the cons of going this route are? Im not really concerned about taking a big dog for a walk and having it pull me. I am not a small guy by any means and I am into bodybuilding so I am on the very strong end lol. Not saying it couldnt happen but most likely wouldnt with me. But other than that can we discuss some of the pros and cons?
Cmac25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2011, 10:51 AM   #26 (permalink)

Are there breeders that don't just breed soley for size but will give you a GSD that is larger and acts like one or am I going to get a big soggy fluffball?
Old 02-10-2011, 10:51 AM   #27 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martemchik View Post
I think sometimes we forget that most people aren't looking for a dog that is the perfect definition of the breed standard, and while most of us on this forum understand what a true GSD should be, there are many varying opinions on this. I've been a GSD owner for about 5 months now and have developed my own opinion based on what I read here and also from what I hear at my local GSD club. But when I was looking for my first GSD the King, Shiloh, and "big boned" definately sparked my interest. This was of course before I knew what I wanted out of my dog. As much as most of us don't want to see these large GSDs bred, they will be, because there is a market for them (and the breeder's websites make quite an argument on why it is a better dog). There were many times when I thought, "Wouldn't it be cool to walk down the street with a 150 lb german shepherd." But then say you do get a very prey driven one, at 150 lbs thats probably uncontrollable.

We have to remember that as much as we don't want those dogs called GSDs, to the rest of the world they are exactly that. I can almost guarantee that a 150 lb saddleback would be considered more purebred by most people than my sable pup (6 months ago I would've been in that camp). These are probably dogs that should have their own breed, but because of their close ties to the GSD they won't, and all we can do here is warn of any kinds of issues these dogs might have due to their size or questionable temperment.
Shilohs and Kings are considered separate breeds... don't believe they are AKC recognized. Both breeds have their own governing bodies and registries.

Pretty common for many breeds... for example, my family is boykin spaniel heavy (20+) and they didn't have AKC recognition forever and have their own governance and registry (boykin spaniel society). AKC moves slow and eventually adopts established breeds. They adopted boykins in 2008 I think. My neighbors cane corso was only officially recognized very very recently by AKC. Everyone thinks she's a pit lol
Old 02-10-2011, 10:53 AM   #28 (permalink)

For some reason my replies are posted all over this thread so I hope ppl can see them lol.

Basicially I would like to discuss the pros and cons of this a little more basic. I am a little confused by some responses.

Also I guess what I mainly want is a GSD that acts like a GSD but tends to be on the larger end. I dont want something that acts like a lab or is just a soggy ball of fluff that sits on my couch all day.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:55 AM   #29 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmac25 View Post
Well I am a little confused..So many responses by people that know much more about dogs in general and GSD's even more so. I certainly don't want a large GSD that acts like a lab. I want a GSD I was just hoping I could get one thats larger. Do the king shepherds act like GSD's? Sorry if my questions seem on the stupid end but I am a little confused on exactly what the cons of going this route are? Im not really concerned about taking a big dog for a walk and having it pull me. I am not a small guy by any means and I am into bodybuilding so I am on the very strong end lol. Not saying it couldnt happen but most likely wouldnt with me. But other than that can we discuss some of the pros and cons?
Anyone attempting to improve on any breed will tell you their progeny exemplify the breed and improve upon it

I'm 137lbs and I have no issue controlling my friends 185lb dane, my mom's 130lb dane, my neighbors 110lb corso, either of my dogs, or both on a Y splitter (and thats 160lbs with 8 legs pulling forward). Its all technique in controlling a dog, not dead weight.

What do you feel a GSD should be? Don't go look it up on wikipedia... just describe to us what a GSD is to you, and what you want it to be. If we know what you expect we can assist better.

Last edited by hunterisgreat; 02-10-2011 at 10:58 AM.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:01 AM   #30 (permalink)
Crowned Member

If size and raw poundage is truly important... to get to 150lbs the only way without being severely overweight is one of the above "sub breeds" of gsd. If its more of an intimidation or deterrence factor that is important, I assure you a 90lb beefy ddr or czech dog will intimidate with presence alone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.