Seeing great progress with Eko after starting medication - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2014, 01:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Seeing great progress with Eko after starting medication

So I was a little afraid to post this because I know there are quite a few people against this sort of thing but I feel really good about how much Eko's behavior is improving and how much more focus he has. I have talked several times about how unfocused and anxious Eko can be and even the few times I could afford a private lesson with a trainer he commented on Eko's overall nervousness. I have anxiety issues myself so I was too afraid to go to a group class because of how reactive Eko can be. After 2 1/2 years I finally have broken down and asked the vet if there was anything we could try. She prescribed Prozac and after almost 2 weeks I'm seeing such a huge difference. So much more focus, less whining and anxious behaviors, and even a difference in his aggression to other animals I wanted something to take the edge off so he would be easier to work with, and that's exactly what I've got so far. I really hope to take him off of the Prozac after a while but we will see what happens. I know this is no big deal to most people but it's been a big deal to me and I'm so happy I gave medication a try. I wish I'd tried it sooner!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2014, 01:20 AM   #2 (permalink)

Not everyone can accomplish things in the same way Sarah. I'm glad you're enjoying your dog now. Whatever method or treatment, thats worth a lot.
Steve Strom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2014, 01:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

Thank you Steve! It does mean a lot to me and I'm starting to look forward to and be excited about our training again instead of dreading it. It's also really great to see that Eko can enjoy life more and not be so nervous all the time
Old 09-01-2014, 02:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

That's great news! I'm glad you've found something to make both of your lives easier! C:
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2014, 02:47 AM   #5 (permalink)

Keep me posted on your progress please. I have similar issues with my dog and I would love a solution that would offer her a happier life.
Sabis mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2014, 02:52 AM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I agree Susan. Having a dog with some issues myself I can relate. I think you will find that the main concensus here is that it is not used as a first tool, without trying other things such as some training. But I'm sure some dogs, just like humans can benefit from it and it can allow you to work through the issues, have repeated positive encounters and then weaned off. I'm so glad it s working for you and shows other members that have tried other techniques and failed that there are other ones, such as medication out there and that it's not taboo.
Msmaria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2014, 03:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

Thanks everyone for all of the really nice and supportive comments I will keep everyone posted on our progress! I would love it if Eko and I were able to help other people like Sabis mom and their dogs by showing them that medication can help I did feel very guilty at first, like I was a failure as a dog trainer, but now I see that I'm not a screw up and that we just needed a little extra help and that's nothing to be ashamed of!
Old 09-01-2014, 04:21 AM   #8 (permalink)

There's no shame in getting help, no matter what type. I battled with one of my dog's reactivity issues for years. This year, I couldn't take it anymore and we opted to try melatonin along with the regular training and redirecting. The results have been amazing. I so wish we started this years ago. Poor guy just turned 10 and is finally getting some relief (so am I lol).
So, good for you and I hope the improvements continue - for both of us.
BorderKelpie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2014, 11:07 AM   #9 (permalink)

Sarah, my compliments to you for not giving up and trying and trying. Just like with people, sometimes medication is the answer and there is NO SHAME in that! What a gift to your dog to help take his edge off and to be able to enjoy each other more.

Hats off to you!
Old 09-01-2014, 11:14 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

How sad that we've made you afraid to post on something like using meds to help your dog. If I was ever part of that then I apologize.

Karin said exactly what I was thinking
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchKarin View Post
Just like with people, sometimes medication is the answer and there is NO SHAME in that!

I've read that some dogs are able to come off the prozac after training and learning coping mechanisms, just like people. So happy that you were able to find something to help him!

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.