German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Braggs!!! (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/braggs/)
-   -   Unruly, untrained dogs (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/braggs/481577-unruly-untrained-dogs.html)

MichaelE 08-20-2014 10:50 AM

Unruly, untrained dogs
 
This morning Lisl and I are out for a morning walk and coming up the street is an elderly man walking a black Lab.

Lisl takes notice from two blocks away, but the Lab doesn't notice us until about half a block.

The Lab starts growling and snarling and pulling so hard he nearly pulls the old man over. He had to sit down on the church steps and hold onto his dog all the while making a lot of noise.

I said good morning to the man, and Lisl and I walked by without her so much as breaking her stride. She looked at him, but didn't utter a sound.

I felt sorry for the elderly man. That dog could have caused the old guy a serious injury had she pulled him down.

wyoung2153 08-20-2014 11:00 AM

Yeah I come across that a lot here. Mostly they are smaller unruly dogs, which isn't less annoying just less hastle for the person walking them. I will admit it makes me happy to see Titan have virtually no reaction to them though.

brembo 08-20-2014 11:40 AM

Mine are great on lead, they know the rules. In the house though they can get pretty rowdy when certain people come by. One friend LOVES for them to basically mob him when he comes over. He encourages it, I've asked him to not do so but the dogs seem to understand that he's the only person that likes it. It's also kinda cool to see two off-the-hook crazy happy dogs do their best OMG WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN greeting.

They run circles around me and talk when I get home, then lay down and wait for me to give proper hellos. If they forget themselves and jump I go to my bedroom and shut the door and check my email on my tablet. Have to do that 1-2 times a month, they are just so excited when two-legs gets home.

blackshep 08-21-2014 08:00 AM

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it sounds like the Lab in question had some aggression/reactivity issues. This isn't the same as unruly/untrained, so saying that isn't fair to the owner.

I have a reactive GSD that I have worked very hard at training.

It's VERY difficult working with reactive dogs, I can only imagine what people think about me and my dog if/when she blows up. She's getting better, but it's a very long, slow process, and it's very difficult to control their environment when you are out in public and people don't give you the space you require with your 'special needs' dog.

wyoung2153 08-21-2014 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackshep (Post 5930105)
I'm going to go out on a limb and say it sounds like the Lab in question had some aggression/reactivity issues. This isn't the same as unruly/untrained, so saying that isn't fair to the owner.

I have a reactive GSD that I have worked very hard at training.

It's VERY difficult working with reactive dogs, I can only imagine what people think about me and my dog if/when she blows up. She's getting better, but it's a very long, slow process, and it's very difficult to control their environment when you are out in public and people don't give you the space you require with your 'special needs' dog.

You know, you make a very valid point. I honestly have never really thought of that when I am out and see a dog who appears that way. I, admittedly, assume they just aren't trained. Which is silly because i know better and read all kinds of things on here about that. Thank you for pointing that out. It will definitely make me think twice before makinga judgement like that. :)

blackshep 08-21-2014 12:45 PM

Being on the other side makes you a lot more sympathetic! :D

Just this weekend I was walking her around the grounds at a flyball tournament. She had to pass a grass area where a lady was throwing a Frisbee for her BC. My dog was doing great until a bad throw sent the dog barreling toward us where it jumped and caught the Frisbee.

My dog held it together, but was very 'up' and her hackles were up. She did great though, and the BC owner probably didn't even pick up on the near blow up. :)

Steve Strom 08-21-2014 12:51 PM

And then being on another, another side, I've had a couple of nervy, insecure dogs that became targets of not normally aggressive dogs.

wyoung2153 08-21-2014 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackshep (Post 5931001)
Being on the other side makes you a lot more sympathetic! :D

Just this weekend I was walking her around the grounds at a flyball tournament. She had to pass a grass area where a lady was throwing a Frisbee for her BC. My dog was doing great until a bad throw sent the dog barreling toward us where it jumped and caught the Frisbee.

My dog held it together, but was very 'up' and her hackles were up. She did great though, and the BC owner probably didn't even pick up on the near blow up. :)

I guess that's true.. I show SOOO much sympathy for people who post on here or tell me about their ball crazy, drivey pup who doesn't want affection, and they don't know what to do.. LOL.

Guess it's within your experiences. I have only had Titan on my own so it's what I can relate to. I guess it's similar to how I feel when I have people come over. They don't understand why we meet them in the drive way vs just letting them greet Titan in the house.. because then Titan would appear to want to eat them. Meeting outside saves us and additional step :p I have had many a pizza guys ask if my dog is safe because they came to the door before I could realize they were in my drive way. He's not aggressive, honestly, but appears that way ONLY in the home when people come to our door.. I digress.. lol.

Long tangent to say that I am going to start thinking differently now. I am glad your boy did well even if you knew he was on the verge of a meltdown. I can't imagine that!


Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Strom (Post 5931017)
And then being on another, another side, I've had a couple of nervy, insecure dogs that became targets of not normally aggressive dogs.

Hmm do you think that's because of the nerviness?

Steve Strom 08-21-2014 01:06 PM

Quote:

Hmm do you think that's because of the nerviness?
Yeah. I just think other dogs that are a little insecure too are bothered by it. A confident dog isnt.

wyoung2153 08-21-2014 01:11 PM

Yeah I can see that. I have heard of/witnessed some nervy/frightened dogs being picked on at the dog park.. never a good scenario.. I always talk to the owners at that point.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:04 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2