wait... she left a ball. in the yard. to obey a recall before I even said a word? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2014, 09:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default wait... she left a ball. in the yard. to obey a recall before I even said a word?

My intensely drivey little pocket rocket ball obsessed wolfbat dropped her ball and came dashing to me when I opened the back door. This is the girl so obsessed with her ball that she had trouble letting us pick it up eleven months ago when we brought her home. The girl so ball obsessed that losing her ball used to cause mouthing tantrums, who has not mouthed on a walk since January. She has apparently figured out that I want her to come when I open the back door. Apparently her bond has become so strong that she will leave her ball behind. This is the girl who tried to jump off a boat when she dropped her ball in the water and had to be held back.

Last edited by glowingtoadfly; 04-16-2014 at 09:07 PM.
glowingtoadfly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2014, 09:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

That's great!!! It sounds like you're making lots of progress!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
ZoeD1217 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2014, 09:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

She is getting there. I am very proud of her. Thanks!
Old 04-17-2014, 07:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Today she did great on her walk in the woods with her brother. She didn't bark at any dogs, unlike him :-) She also used to bark like crazy at other dogs so there is another reason to be proud.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Today when Skadi was chewing on my blanket, instead of physically moving her, which prompts a resource guarding response, or going to distract her with a treat, I tried putting her in a down stay each time she felt the urge to destroy and guard. It worked. She was able to be distracted from chewing on the blanket to listen to a command. Even when her brother Grim moved towards her when she had the blanket and prompted a growl, the down stay worked to stop her from lunging and barking at him. I was very proud of her. I think we will be working more on this command with both of them. I used a ball to reward her for holding the command. Although this object sometimes causes her to resource guard from him, sometimes causing scuffles, I think I am going to keep trying, just continuing to be very careful and cautious about letting the ball become a bone of contention between the two.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

2 years old? She's beginning to leave the puppy-brained nonsense behind and be a German Shepherd proper. Stay on top of the obedience and manners, the things these dogs can do when mature and bonded is breathtaking.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

I hope so! Today she fussed when asked to on our walk, allowed me to cuddle in bed with her (she sometimes has handling issues), and was good with her brother. She did just "miss" playing tug with my husband and make him bleed though, as she sometimes does. She gets overenthused. Grim has become quite the puller, but he is learning heel and bringing his dinner along on our walk helped him. I need to find some higher value treats than the ones we have to make sure I have his attention when bicycles and other dogs go by. He's nine months, getting bigger, and is a lunger when he wants to chase.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

From a cheesy TV show when I was a wee lad...." I love it when a plan comes together "

I appreciate your excitement....it is so nice when the bond grows.

SuperG
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2014, 08:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

I'm just hoping he outgrows barking and lunging at other dogs with training the way she did. She used to bark and lunge every single time we saw another dog, then go belly down when she met them, wanting to play. I worked on focus with lots of liver sausage and freeze dried chicken and eventually she became much better. He is more of the bark, lunge, and snap when the other dog gets too close type so we are very careful with him. I'm wondering if at nine months he could be going through a fear period. His interest in bicycles is much like her interest in squirrels- a deep desire to chase.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Bringing Grim's dinner along on our walk this evening made a huge improvement in his focus. I practiced calling his name and feeding him each time he looked at me, and the " fuss" command (heel). At the beginning he had his nose planted in the hand that held the treat and would heel for ten steps. By the end of the walk we were working on walking next to me while looking at me and he did it a few times. His pulling improved too. One thing we will need to work on is that he is reactive to bicycles-he pulled me towards a bicyclist and growled while lunging. I was able to pull him away, but from now on, my husband and Skadi will be the ones walking next to the bike trail, and I will need some higher value treats. He was able to look at me in expectation of a treat a few times when he saw a bicyclist, so he is beginning to associate bikes with "checking in" with me. It can't happen fast enough, so more focus work for Grim. Skadi did really well, but then again, she has been doing well on walks for months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.