Have to brag about Sinister - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2014, 08:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Talking Have to brag about Sinister

Yesterday I took Sinister to the Vet, he did great. He was very well behaved, he never whined or showed shyness, he sat still for his shots, he willingly went to the back room with the staff to get blood drawn and I could hear them talking to him telling him how he's such a good boy. The Vet and staff gave me lots of compliments about how well behaved he was, how handsome he was and how healthy he looked. As the Vet stood there and talked to me, Sinister kept giving him his paw and everytime the Vet would shake it and tell him thank you, then Sin would do it again, lol.

When we got into the car I gave him a pig's ear for being so good and we drove to Petco. He was very well behaved there as well, he walked perfectly next to the cart, he obeyed every command I gave to him and I did not have to ask twice. He waited patiently as I took forever finding the supplements I wanted to get. He met several strangers and offered them his paw. We met a little mixed dog that barked, growled and pulled towards him and he 100% ignored it! Didn't look in it's direction, didn't make a sound, he just ignored it.

When we were done with Petco we drove to Petsmart to look for the supplements I couldn't find at the other store. Again he was very well behaved, obeyed commands right away without me needing to repeat, he met some more strangers and offered them his paw, we encountered more obnoxious dogs and he again ignored them completely. I was so happy with how good he was that I bought him the Everlasting Treat Wheeler and some dental chews.

After Petsmart we drove to my mom's hair salon. He was so happy to see his grandma and she was so happy to see her "best boy in the whole world" that's what she calls him. My mom has 10 employees there and they all adore him so they were happy to see him as well as the customers (he's been going there since he was a puppy so he knows almost everyone, he's kind of like their mascot.) He was well behaved there as usual, he greets everyone and then he lays down by the desk and remains there quietly until someone walks up to him to see him and then he gets up and greets them and offers his paw.

On the way home I stopped to get him a hamburger from Wendy's and then I cried like a big baby. He has been diagnosed with Lyme's Disease and I am just so sad for him. I cried for his new illness but I also cried because I was/am so proud of him, he is such a great dog, always wanting to please me, always doing what I ask, always friendly and loving to everyone, he's so well behaved and so smart, taking him places is so easy, he adapts to his surroundings and is a complete joy to have around. I just love him so much, he is the best thing in my life and I am so lucky to have him. He is my heart.

Sinister ~ black GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ Dalmatian 6.30.13
LaRen616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2014, 08:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Lyme is VERY easy to mitigate. Antibiotics wipe it out with the quickness. Caught early it's pretty much a non-issue. Banjo had it, I caught it early on and a round of doxycycline(I think) knocked it out.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brembo View Post
Lyme is VERY easy to mitigate. Antibiotics wipe it out with the quickness. Caught early it's pretty much a non-issue. Banjo had it, I caught it early on and a round of doxycycline(I think) knocked it out.
The problem is that my mom pulled a tick off him like 4-6 months ago and I didn't think it would be a problem, he was on Frontline and I thought it would be ok. So it's been months and it's all my fault!

He will be on Doxycycline for 3 weeks but the Vet said he'll pretty much always have Lyme's Disease.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Yeah, Lyme is a permanent thing, BUT antibiotics knock flare ups down quickly and incredibly effectively. In the years Banjo had Lyme I only ever had to do two runs of Doxy. With proper care it's not too much to worry about.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You'll never know if THAT tick was positive for Lymes. He could have had a tick on him a short while ago that bit him and then due to the Frontline fell off. It's just a guessing game at this point.

Sinister has always been a good boy. You've done a very good job with him! He sounds like a perfect candiate for therapy work!!!
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2014, 09:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Awwww good boy and NOOoooo on the lymes.

Like Brembo said, my understanding is lymes is very controllable though. I'm sure some of our holistic knowledgeable folks can give some advice on boosting his immune system as well.

If Sinister has a good immune system along with the antibiotics he should be just fine.

One suggestion I have is getting him started on Olewo Carrots (my dogs love the stuff) it helps keep the gut and immune system healthy.

https://www.olewousa.com/
Old 02-20-2014, 09:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Im so sorry to hear hes sick. I hope he gets better from it. You have a great boy there. He sounds like a perfect guy. Please keep us updated on how hes doing.
Msmaria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2014, 09:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It was longer than 4-6 months, I wrote an email to a co worker about finding a tick on him, it's been 9 months since we found that tick! 9 months! OMG I am a horrible mother!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

His immune system is not that good to begin with.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

Awesome story on the visits. So sorry about him having lymes disease.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:59 AM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

You're a great mom. Stop that. Look how wonderful your dog is. Just like with children, you can tell who are good parents because of the product of their raising. Good job, mom.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.