German Shepherds Forum banner

ADCH Mikko!!!!!

3K views 26 replies 19 participants last post by  I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO 
#1 ·
Mikko recently earned the title of Agility Dog Champion!! He is only the 18th GSD to have achieved this title (out of over 1,500 GSDs registered to compete in USDAA)! I can't express how proud I am of him! I am especially proud to have accomplished this with my first dog. So now, at 8 years old, Mikko will run in performance 20" until he doesn't want to play anymore.

Here are some photos:

See less See more
#10 ·
:congratulations: That's a wonderful accomplishment :)

#16 ·
Aww, thanks for posting his puppy pic! He got his ADCH exactly 8 years from that day we brought him home (which is the day that picture was taken)! It's like you knew, haha. I actually meant to text you a photo, but didn't take any with my phone and then you posted here anyway :)

Thank you so much everyone!!
As Sunflowers pointed out, Mikko had some health issues lately, so I am extremely happy that he is even still running agility!

He is my heart dog, for sure.

#17 ·
Congrats!!!! Gorgeous happy pictures of you guys!!!

Do you like USDAA? I have always done AKC/UKC but am thinking about sticking my toe in the water with USDAA as we are seeing more trials around here now.

#20 ·
Thanks, LaRen and kbella!

Congrats!!!! Gorgeous happy pictures of you guys!!!

Do you like USDAA? I have always done AKC/UKC but am thinking about sticking my toe in the water with USDAA as we are seeing more trials around here now.
Thanks! I do really like USDAA. The courses are not always so GSD friendly (faster times and tighter courses with 270s, wraps, backside jumps, etc.) But I think it is comparable to UKC.

I like it because there are so many different games and tournaments so you don't sit around all day for two classes. It's highly competitive because you have to beat out other dogs for SuperQs in Snooker and Qs in Steeplechase (similar to T2B). But, that's what makes it so fun! Everyone watches these classes and cheers for everyone else as they get through it. And the crazy fast border collies can crash on these courses so it is definitely possible for a GSD to qualify or get a SQ.

They also recently changed some of the heights so now the performance height for the tallest dogs is 20" (used to be 22"). So if you don't want to jump 26", it's a great option.

I hope you try it, it is a super fun venue!

#24 ·
Congratulations! What an awesome accomplishment. :) There certainly aren't many GSDs who have earned the higher titles in USDAA. Solstice is 11 Qs from PDCH, and there are only 6 GSDs to get that one so far. USDAA courses can be harder to run with a GSD, but I do like USDAA for all the reasons you listed. :)

#25 ·
Thanks! Best of luck to you on finishing your PDCH! I know in general that fewer dogs compete in Performance, but it surprises me that more German Shepherd owners don't enter Performance instead of Championship. Looking back, I probably would have, but at least Mikko gets to jump 20" now!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.