German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Braggs!!! (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/braggs/)
-   -   Therapy Dog [Day One] (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/braggs/399145-therapy-dog-day-one.html)

Okie2 01-20-2014 05:58 PM

Therapy Dog [Day One]

Today was the first of what I hope is many such days that Maggie, my 4 and half year old GSD, and I will visit the various Nursing Homes, and or Children’s Hospitals in our area.
It all started a few months back, with our annual visit to Maggie’s vet. He had suggested that Maggie would be an excellent candidate for Therapy Dog work, so I took his advice and contacted our local chapter of Delta Hearts of Gold/Pet Partners. What followed was an all-day class/workshop to get me certified and then a few weeks later Maggie’s evaluation.
Back to today….Friends, let me tell you it is certainly very rewarding to see the happy faces of people all too use to being shut in, without family to see them (in some cases), of those that have memory lost, when you dog walks into the room faces light up. The people are not looking at you, but your pet partner and if I may brag….Mag’s showed her best….setting in front of each and every person/client and shaking hands with them. What I saw, above all the smiling faces, was people who really appreciated the animal being there for them. When I left with Maggie I really thought the two of us had made a difference. When Maggie got home she crashed……… :laugh:
I certainly recommend the Therapy Dog program, if you have the time to give. :)

ksotto333 01-20-2014 06:03 PM

How wonderful, what a great way to share your Maggie with others...

Mrs.P 01-20-2014 06:06 PM

Awesome! So glad you and Maggie can bring such joy to others :)

madis 01-20-2014 06:06 PM

That's wonderful! We got our pup with therapy work in mind! He's only a baby but he has a sweet, gentle nature about him. I've heard great things about pet partners, that's who we will probably go through.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

mcdanfam 01-20-2014 06:06 PM

Congrats.....you guys will love it!

ken k 01-20-2014 06:18 PM

congrat`s, very rewarding

Okie2 01-20-2014 06:50 PM

Madis, I certainly recommend the therapy dog program for you and your "baby". If you want pointers/suggestions on getting to that point.....send me an email [ttaylor38@att.net]

Too all others thank you for your kind words.

An added note: Last week I made a trip to a local nursing home....without Maggie....and with another certified couple and their pet partner, just to get an idea as what to expect, before I took her (Maggie) today. One room contained a man and his wife, both in need of the nursing facilities....when the man saw the couples dog, he began crying....my heart just sank to the bottom of my stomach. I was sold on the program.

madis 01-20-2014 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Okie2 (Post 4871569)
Madis, I certainly recommend the therapy dog program for you and your "baby". If you want pointers/suggestions on getting to that point.....send me an email [ttaylor38@att.net]

Too all others thank you for your kind words.

An added note: Last week I made a trip to a local nursing home....without Maggie....and with another certified couple and their pet partner, just to get an idea as what to expect, before I took her (Maggie) today. One room contained a man and his wife, both in need of the nursing facilities....when the man saw the couples dog, he began crying....my heart just sank to the bottom of my stomach. I was sold on the program.

Thank you! I will definitely be in touch!

llombardo 01-20-2014 07:53 PM

I know when we go there are so many that had to leave their dogs behind and are so sad about it, but being able to touch a dog again brightens their day. I was also surprised at how many of them have owned shepherds in the past.

mcdanfam 01-20-2014 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madis (Post 4871849)
Thank you! I will definitely be in touch!

My daughter had to stop visiting one wing the hospital we visit with Millie.... She is vet emotional and when two elderly lady's were crying and thanking us for sharing our pets....my daughter lost it and was crying with them! She now stands outside of that wing. :-(
It really does being so much joy to them!!!
What you are doing is such a wonderful way to give back!