German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Braggs!!! (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/braggs/)
-   -   I think Hans is turning into a GSD!! (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/braggs/379257-i-think-hans-turning-into-gsd.html)

MyHans-someBoy 12-10-2013 12:12 PM

I think Hans is turning into a GSD!!
 
Maybe not really a brag or small victory- just an interesting observation of late...

Hans who spent most of his previous life in a kennel, has for many months been of the attitude of:

"OMG! I'm Freee! I'm Freeee!

Whenever he would meet someone it was a chore to keep him from jumping on them with that "Pet me! Pet me! Pet me! enthusiasm.

Lately, when he meets someone you can literally watch him look them up and down, as if sizing them up. :) I think this is a good thing. He is still very friendly ( if they pass the test, I guess).

As for the one person he apparently didn't like (but did not see as a threat) he simply yawned and looked away.

I kind of like that he is a bit aloof and somewhat discerning now. ;)


Sent from Petguide.com Free App

***Beth*** 12-10-2013 01:37 PM

Yaaaaaaaaaay! Great job!!!!!!! :)

Kayos and Havoc 12-10-2013 04:32 PM

Good boy!!!

Msmaria 12-10-2013 05:30 PM

Dex has never been the over friendly jump on you type of dog. so it has really been hard for me to see him get to the point wherestrangers reach out to pet him and he just walks around their outreached hand. but then I realized I have a German Shepherd and thats who he is. after all I've been reading about this type of behavior for several months now on this board. I guess I just wasn't expecting it. Like your guy he still friendly with people that pass his initial little test. he has his favorite people at Doggie Daycare that he will go and jump on them and give them kisses but as soon as we walked out of the place goes back to his regular routine where he's only interested in what I'm doing and what he's doing. I think I noticed Dex getting like this around nine ot ten months.
So glad Hans is getting to where u want him. he's growing up

MyHans-someBoy 12-10-2013 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Msmaria (Post 4650321)
Dex has never been the over friendly jump on you type of dog. so it has really been hard for me to see him get to the point wherestrangers reach out to pet him and he just walks around their outreached hand. but then I realized I have a German Shepherd and thats who he is. after all I've been reading about this type of behavior for several months now on this board. I guess I just wasn't expecting it. Like your guy he still friendly with people that pass his initial little test. he has his favorite people at Doggie Daycare that he will go and jump on them and give them kisses but as soon as we walked out of the place goes back to his regular routine where he's only interested in what I'm doing and what he's doing. I think I noticed getting like this around nine ot ten months.
So glad Hans is getting to where u want him. he's growing up

Sounds like Dex has the aloof personality that a lot of GSDs are known for, but is affectionate with those he really likes. :)

Since I work out of town a lot (while hubby holds down the fort back home), it is kind of nice that he has settled enough to really look at people and give 'em the "once over", instead of just projecting the big, goofy puppy image that he was previously. People do stop back a little ways when they see him looking them up & down. If he starts wagging his tail, I assume he's pretty comfortable with them and as long as I am too, I'll invite them to pet him if they seem interested.

Sounds like Dex is very focused on you and that is wonderful!



Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Msmaria 12-10-2013 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyHans-someBoy (Post 4650513)
Sounds like Dex has the aloof personality that a lot of GSDs are known for, but is affectionate with those he really likes. :)

Since I work out of town a lot (while hubby holds down the fort back home), it is kind of nice that he has settled enough to really look at people and give 'em the "once over", instead of just projecting the big, goofy puppy image that he was previously. People do stop back a little ways when they see him looking them up & down. If he starts wagging his tail, I assume he's pretty comfortable with them and as long as I am too, I'll invite them to pet him if they seem interested.

Sounds like Dex is very focused on you and that is wonderful!



Sent from Petguide.com Free App


I.ll invite some too to come and say hi if I see him relaxed. What scares people is that ear sticking straight up intense stare they get. You know the one..lol. I know Dex better to know he's being friendly but it scares alot of people. I would like Dex to be more interested in pets from strangers, but it is what it is. :( How old is Hans again?

Sunflowers 12-10-2013 06:34 PM

I did a double take :confused:when I saw this thread. LOL.

MyHans-someBoy 12-10-2013 06:35 PM

Hans is 28 months old. I adopted him 10 months ago. Time is already flying by!

I get the "He doesn't bite, does he?
If it is someone I don't feel completely comfortable with, I just say "I don't think he'd hurt anyone...unless they tried to hurt me" and then I smile. :)

I really wouldn't want him to risk getting hurt trying to protect me, but I don't really mind people (strangers) thinking he might. ;)




Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Msmaria 12-10-2013 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyHans-someBoy (Post 4650681)
Hans is 28 months old. I adopted him 10 months ago. Time is already flying by!

I get the "He doesn't bite, does he?
If it is someone I don't feel completely comfortable with, I just say "I don't think he'd hurt anyone...unless they tried to hurt me" and then I smile. :)

I really wouldn't want him to risk getting hurt trying to protect me, but I don't really mind people (strangers) thinking he might. ;)




Sent from Petguide.com Free App


28 months is along time to wait for him to have a gsd personality..lol..some dogs just take longer to mature, which is alright in my book..haha. Yep there's nothing wrong with having a deterrent dog, I'm sure it has come in very handy for lots of People. No one has to know he wont rip you to pieces if you try something haha.
Yes time sure flies by when your having fun.

MyHans-someBoy 12-10-2013 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunflowers (Post 4650665)
I did a double take :confused:when I saw this thread. LOL.

I bet you did! :D


Sent from Petguide.com Free App


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:11 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2