Socialization success - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2012, 10:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Socialization success

Lately I have had a lot of pride in my 6 month old puppy's temperament and I want to brag about a few instances where she reacted better than expected.

About a month ago we were walking and came upon a neighbor who is mentally handicapped. He is HUGE (he likes football and looks like a linebacker) and always greets/ hugs me since we grew up together. She had met him once before, but this day he was particularly PUMPED UP about a football game he was going to and he started SCREAMING at the top of his lungs/ lunging forwards and back and flailing his arms around which took me completely by surprise and caused several neighbors to come outside and ask if I needed the police.

Maya my puppy just thought he was the COOLEST silliest man on earth and jumped for joy at this huge imposing screaming man's excitement.

We went to meet Santa before Christmas at a very small cramped petstore. She met a ton of new dogs and loved them all. Next to us in line was a yorkie puppy and she entire wait lying down and gently trying to get the puppy to play.

At petsmart a young boy ran over, grabbed Maya and started hugging her. I was taken aback (usually people ask, but this boy seemed to have some disabilities as well) but Maya did fine. He continued to pet and hug her as we chatted and Maya was especially gentle with him.

And lastly, we have been going to our local petsmart since Maya was just a baby so they know us very well. Now when we go and they are having training classes they specifically stop their students and have them interact with Maya since she is a very balanced dog. She has dealt with fearful dogs, yappy pugs and growly chihuahuas in the last week and reacted better than I could have ever hoped for.

I know I have to keep it up, but so far, so good.
Maya27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2012, 11:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

The time and effort you have obviously put into raising a nice dog is paying off. Congrats!
Finnick<3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 09:13 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks!

It is a work in progress, but so far I am very proud of her!
Old 12-27-2012, 09:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

I just LOVE hearing stories like this and you should be so proud of her and the great work you are doing with her!!

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 11:53 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks!

There are a lot of strange people at Petsmart.. so many people just randomly race up and hug dogs O_O not just kids either, it really makes me thankful to have such a balanced pup.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

Aww, you made me smile today.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Congrats to both of you!
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 01:50 AM   #8 (permalink)

Default Great Job!

Congrats,

That's an awesome characteristic to have in a puppy/dog it can keep a dog happy as well as out of trouble , I am currently socializing my Mieka a 4 month old full breed GSD and she is doing outstanding with other dogs and people. Sad story about a non socialized GSD a friend of mine is on the edge of rehoming his 2 year old GSD because of some issues that have become serious. That could have been prevented by early socializing. So in simple words "keep up the great work,it will pay off!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maya27 View Post
Lately I have had a lot of pride in my 6 month old puppy's temperament and I want to brag about a few instances where she reacted better than expected.

About a month ago we were walking and came upon a neighbor who is mentally handicapped. He is HUGE (he likes football and looks like a linebacker) and always greets/ hugs me since we grew up together. She had met him once before, but this day he was particularly PUMPED UP about a football game he was going to and he started SCREAMING at the top of his lungs/ lunging forwards and back and flailing his arms around which took me completely by surprise and caused several neighbors to come outside and ask if I needed the police.

Maya my puppy just thought he was the COOLEST silliest man on earth and jumped for joy at this huge imposing screaming man's excitement.

We went to meet Santa before Christmas at a very small cramped petstore. She met a ton of new dogs and loved them all. Next to us in line was a yorkie puppy and she entire wait lying down and gently trying to get the puppy to play.

At petsmart a young boy ran over, grabbed Maya and started hugging her. I was taken aback (usually people ask, but this boy seemed to have some disabilities as well) but Maya did fine. He continued to pet and hug her as we chatted and Maya was especially gentle with him.

And lastly, we have been going to our local petsmart since Maya was just a baby so they know us very well. Now when we go and they are having training classes they specifically stop their students and have them interact with Maya since she is a very balanced dog. She has dealt with fearful dogs, yappy pugs and growly chihuahuas in the last week and reacted better than I could have ever hoped for.

I know I have to keep it up, but so far, so good.
tacticalseries is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 01:56 AM   #9 (permalink)

Loved reading this! Keep up the good work and keep giving the public a great representation of the breed!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Old 12-29-2012, 08:06 PM   #10 (permalink)

you should be very proud of both of you. my pup is also a genlte soul. we are very lucky & will be for years to come. congrats
Jack9211 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.