She Used The Puppy Pad! - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2012, 10:02 AM   #11 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena View Post
I guess I should have clarified for everyone. She's fully 100% housebroken. My goal was to train her to use a puppy pad while in her crate for when I have to go on overnight trips and our neighbor is taking care of her (again, overnight, not long term) and so far it's working perfectly. No accident in the house, and while in her crate, she uses the puppy pad. I'm not that retarded...loll
Just saying, if you had her 100% housebroken, and the entire point of crate training is to teach them to hold it and NOT go in the crate.... to me you have backtracked and untrained all the great housetraining.

To you, you've trained her to go on the pad. But for the pup, they may be learning going to the bathroom in the crate/house is just fantastic!

When I have to go on overnight trips, I just have my friends take my crate trained dog into their home while I am gone! The reason I train my dogs in the first place. So my friends will take my dogs when I have to leave, and I will take their when they are out of town.
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 10:35 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You want to train her to go in her crate?

Dogs are born with the instinct not to soil where they lie.
That is why crate training is done, to take advantage of this built-in thing.

The caretaker should let the dog out to do her business outside.
Crates are for holding it, not for toileting.

Last edited by Sunflowers; 11-16-2012 at 10:40 PM.
Sunflowers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 10:50 PM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieRoseLee View Post
Just saying, if you had her 100% housebroken, and the entire point of crate training is to teach them to hold it and NOT go in the crate.... to me you have backtracked and untrained all the great housetraining.

To you, you've trained her to go on the pad. But for the pup, they may be learning going to the bathroom in the crate/house is just fantastic!

When I have to go on overnight trips, I just have my friends take my crate trained dog into their home while I am gone! The reason I train my dogs in the first place. So my friends will take my dogs when I have to leave, and I will take their when they are out of town.
And it really isn't fair to a pup to be crated for such a long time. How is that beneficial to her muscle tone and her mentalwell being?
Old 11-17-2012, 07:11 PM   #14 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Athena

Well, I'm sorry the method hasn't worked for some of you. For me, it has. She used the puppy pad in her crate, and doesn't have any issues in the house. Maybe I just got lucky! It's a large crate, so she has more than enough room to lie without being in her stuff. And my caretaker does let her out, however to make it easier on him if she has any accidents/he runs late, he can clean it easily. When we go for longer periods, we have a different method. To each their own.

http://youravon.com/mzuellig
Athena is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.