German German Shepherd VS American German Shepherd - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2008, 06:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default German German Shepherd VS American German Shepherd

Hi Guys,
I`m new to this place. Looks like a wealth of Info...
I`ve have owned one Female German Shepherd I bought from individuals.... Loved the Dog But lost her to Hip Displasia @ 7
I fell in love with the breed. I have finally healed enought to get another.....
I have been re-searching Hi and Lo on the breed,,,, I can`t believe the Difference in Price for a German blood Line VS a American German Shepherd...... IS there that much difference between the Two ?

I`m not looking for a show dog or working Dog. Just a good Companion.
any thoughts would be great....
OldTimer46
OldTimer46 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2008, 06:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Default Re: German German Shepherd VS American German Shepherd

I personally like the Europian lines better than the american lines.
shepherdbydesign is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2008, 06:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to DancingCavy Send a message via MSN to DancingCavy Send a message via Yahoo to DancingCavy

There is a huge difference between the two. The main difference being physical structure (huge generalization here).

If you're just looking for a good companion, you can find it in either line. Just because a breeder breeds for the showring or schutzhund doesn't mean they don't occasionally produce dogs that make wonderful pets.

I bet if you get a bit more specific about what exactly you're looking for in a dog (do you have kids? what activities, if any, you're interested in doing? how active are you? etc.) someone might be able to point you in the right direction.

DancingCavy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2008, 06:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

There are basically three different "lines" of dogs out there--American, German Showlines, and Working lines. None is "better" or healthier than the others--there are good and bad breeders of any type. There are also expensive dogs in each line, and moderately-priced (but still very good and healthy) dogs in each line. For a well-bred puppy, regardless of which line, you can expect to pay starting at around $800 and go up to $1500 or so. More than that, and you're probably buying more dog than you need--a show prospect or a super working prospect.

As you've already learned, hip disease is one of the biggest health problems with this breed (but there are many others too)--and the best way to find a dog with the best shot at being healthy is to find a good BREEDER.

Check out some of the threads here on the different lines--to see what they look like (they are three very different "looks") and feel free to ask more questions. Tell us what part of the country you're in, and you might even get some breeder referrals nearyby.

Finally, rescue is always a good way to go. There is an active purebred GSD rescue section of this board, and many dedicated rescue volunteers all over the country who work to find homes for purebred dogs that have been left at shelters for whatever reason. Most of these dogs are evaluated and checked for health and temperament before placing them with a new home, so it's a good way to "know what you're getting." With any puppy, you're mostly buying potential.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y18...shepherd_4.gif Luca says, "Arf!"
tracyc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2008, 07:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

you're not allowed to buy one until you rescue one, its in the rules somewhere I know it
GunnerJones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2008, 08:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Is there a difference between the two? Try "three minimum!" There are American showlines, American pet lines, German showlines, and the European working lines which aren't as different as the showlines are but include West German working, East German working (DDR), Czech working, and a couple others. Price tends to be highest in the showlines as a generalization, but there are a few working line breeders that are waaaaay up there in cost. That brings me to another point about the GSD. You will often pay for what you get so if you look for an $800 breeder or less, Caveat Emptor. If you were to go with working lines, you have no need to spend more than $2000 as that's getting high for a working line. For a German showline, many puppies that aren't long coats (a disqualification) start at $2000 but there are exceptions, of course. I am not up on the American line pricing (My preference is to the European working line dogs).

Your best bet for getting to know the various lines is to go to an AKC dog show and watch the German shepherd showing and visit a schutzhund club where you can see working lines and German showlines. You can get a feel for how they look, how they walk (big differences), how they act, it's really the best way to know that this is what you want. The first time I was at a schutzhund club I knew that a working line GSD was exactly what I wanted.... well I knew even before that but seeing them in action cemented my desire. Once you have an idea of what you like and after you've talked to the owners and handlers you can then start a breeder search.

If you want recommendations here (even before you have a chance of seeing the dogs in person), I'd suggest making a list of what you want to see in a dog. What do you want in energy level, intelligence, protectiveness, what is your ideal GSD, what activities do you plan to do with it, how much training are you willing to do, how much time you have available to spend with the dog, your experience level, etc. It does happen that someone decides they want a dog of type A but they are recommended a type B dog and it ends up being the best match ever. And yes, working line dogs can make excellent companions, same with showline dogs, so don't read those labels and think "I'm not going to work/show, I don't want one." Remember that a good breeder who is striving for health and temperament and structure for work/show will produce very sound dogs. Some of these dogs aren't drivey enough to work or don't have the best conformation for show, but in a pet home they are absolutely fantastic companions because they were still bred for soundness, strong nerve, intelligence, all the great qualities that make for a model doggie citizen. A good dog with good health and great temperament is priceless.

Training @ The Canine Center - St Cloud, FL
"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
DianaM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2008, 08:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to wildwolf60

Well, just my personal opinion, but I prefer the German lines....they seem to have better health, temperament, and structure. Plus, I just like the way they look as opposed to American lines! (working
lines, that is) I have owned both, and the best one I ever had was from German working lines-fantastic mover, brainy, loving, playful, you name it. Course, the americans I've had were smart, and loving, but I've had a few more health problems with them. Might just be my luck, though! I can't afford to get a top of the line dog, and puppies are out of the question right now, work interferes. But I love them all!
wildwolf60 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2008, 10:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
"I like Daffy" Moderator

My personal preference is American Show Lines. My dogs are sound, healthy, and smart. I have been involved with German Shepherds all of my life (I am now $^ years old), and I have both German Show and American Show lines over the years. Presently I have a dog that is both show dog and service dog, a rare combination.
Home of Ch Doll; U-CDx Jag CDX GN RE NAP NJP OA AXJ(ch ptd); and Ch. Fisher (Mr. Evil)
At the Bridge: Ch Kahla CD; Ch Keno UD HSAs OA; Ch Kizzy HSAs RE; Ch Tag CD RAE2; Ch Pharra; Bee PT; Ch Natty; Ch Red the Dachshund
Andaka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2008, 11:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I like the German working lines.
Here is my disclaimer- I have very limited experience so take whatever I say with a grain or an entire shaker of salt- but having said that my puppy is from German imports. That I believe means that they cannot be bred without a Schutzhund title. That tells me a lot about their temperment, structure and drive right out of the box and that was important to me as a newbie. I cannot be assured in this way by the American lines. Maybe with a few more years experience under my belt I could make those judgements for myself as to conformation, temperment, etc...but until then I think unless you have an awesome breeder you trust you are less at risk with the imported German lines. Again, my very uneducated take on things.
Fancy Me Deuce (Tedy) APHA gelding
Purple Haze Nirvana AQHA mare
Trooper rescue kitty and senior fur kid
scannergirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2008, 11:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

There are good breeders and bad breeders in all lines. For American Lines Andaka is one that has nice looking AM lines that are well rounded dogs that look nice, not over angulated. If she doesn't have a pup she knows who has good pups and who doesn't in the AM lines.

There are several workingline breeders on this board who ALL have very nice dogs and are concerned about matching the right pup with the right family. Some pups just aren't going to be a match for a less active family.

Then there are you German showline breeders. I know a few people that breed nice dogs, that are very reasonable in price and are from Titled parents, that have a litter once in a while one a year or one every two years. I know of another breeder that has a nice male SchH3 but her females aren't titled, but she has them around kids, livestock, etc, they live on a ranch and SchH clubs aren't very available in her area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.