German Shepherds Forum banner

What would you expect from this litter?

3K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  Femfa 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Just to add - I'm looking to get a dog with medium drive, suitable for achieving a BH and possibly IPO 1, concurrently UD title if possible. Should have an off-switch, be environmentally sound, sociable but aloof. This would be my first working line.

#4 ·
Thanks Cliff - could you specify why it would be best to request that? As in the traits to be expected from a medium drive pup from this litter vs. the low drive one. I looked through the lines and see a lot of kennel names known for certain traits, but I'd love to learn more.

#5 ·
I don't know how much you can tell at 8 weeks. My breeder kept what she thought was a high drive puppy and I got one as Cliff described, happy, forward, more interested in her environment than constantly biting the lure. My pup turned out to be a much higher drive than the one she kept then sold later. I'd suggest if you get a w/l puppy to make sure it has mandatory time outs in its crate throughout the day to settle itself. I tried to wear my puppy out, she just wore me out and is on all the time.

#6 ·
That's good to know. I have trust in the breeders of this litter as they're quite experienced individuals, but I would err on the side of having a lower drive pup than a higher drive one. Especially as my first working line. I'm not looking to achieve an IPO 3 title, at most a high scoring IPO 1 title would be more than enough for me at this point in time.

#7 · (Edited)
Wow, where to start. First, I absolutely would love to pick a male puppy for myself...lol.
Anyway, the dam line is very similar to a female I arranged a breeding to last year that produced a super litter. Now for this breeding; The dam is through Belgium lines mixed with Czech( Gass through Tom z PS) . This is nice sound breeding with a lot of prey through sire of Mom and good aggression through Tom.
The sire is linebred 3-4 on Manto ( Lord son). Manto is known for being source of strong aggression, when linebred on Manto can be really strong. Now the dams of both parents of Kent are linebred on Grief,( dam's dam I think three times), this is another source of very very strong dogs.
So I read what I see you want from your pup, and I know a low drive( at eight weeks) pup, that is very social will probably grow up to be plenty of dog to do IPO 1 and the social part will make it joy for akc obedience.
That's nutshell version of why I said what I said, I see a lot in this breeding. Strong nice breeding!

#9 ·
Thanks for the awesome explanation! I'm hoping things will fall into place and that this will be a great opportunity to get my WL pup.

And Holland, yes, they have been superb so far. Nothing official yet, but I'm very excited for the possibility. As an amateur, I'm even impressed by what I see pedigree wise and I hardly know anything.

#13 · (Edited)
Carm, I would love to go out and meet the dam and sire but unfortunately the dam is over in Ontario and I'm here in Saskatchewan. Not a lot of breeding in my province that I'm interested in, so my ability to watch the lines I'm interested in is limited. Most of the breeders I would invest in are either in Ontario or somewhere in the northern states so I'm left trusting reputation and the breeder knowing their lines for placing a pup with me. I will be attending the Prairie Regional Championships and am really hoping to see some great dogs there being worked this May, though. Kent is currently in Austria from what the breeder has told me.

Just wanted to add quickly - they did indeed invite me out to come meet their dogs and learn more about the kennel.

#15 ·
Not yet - they'll be doing x-rays sometime next week to confirm the pregnancy. Anticipating the litter to be born sometime in May. I have my fingers crossed that all the ducks line up nicely in a row for this. I'm very excited about it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.