German Shepherds Forum banner

What can you tell me about my pup's pedigree?

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  wolfstraum 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I love learning about bloodlines and pedigrees, and have been curious about what you all can tell me about my pup's lines. From my limited knowledge, he seems to be a mix of WGSL, working lines, and American pet lines.

Is there anything in his pedigree that might indicate anything about working ability or trainability? He is firstly a pet, but I am I interested in possibly doing AKC obedience with him. Or another sport that he might show talent and desire to do. Agility is a possibility. I have also thought about tracking or herding... Basically anything we might enjoy, can train in within a reasonable distance from our home, but that doesn't take up a crazy amount of time (since I also work full time, have two kids, and my main sport is equestrian eventing).

Here's the link to his pedigree database page: StrongArm's Ruger vom Oldenburg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

#3 ·
I am on my phone so I really can't click on the different dogs like I want to. But at a quick glance looks to be a lot like a lot of dogs I see. Working dogs 3 generations back but just breed dogs in recent lineage.
Others I am sure will have more information that may benefit you.

#4 ·
My advice is to focus on the dog you have and have fun with him. You're right that he comes from a mish-mash of lines and those dogs that have done "stuff" competitively are pretty far back. I have no deep knowledge about bloodlines, so I wouldn't be able to help you out there anyway!

With that being said, try different sports with him. I ended up herding with my WGSL dog and we had a blast for a lot of years. We also did a little tracking. You never know what will engage both of you until you try it. Don't limit your opportunities based on his pedigree.

Get out there and just do it! Have fun!
Sheilah

#7 ·
what were the sire and dam like?

had they been bred before and are there relatives to give you some clues?

did the breeder have a goal in mind other than producing saleable pups . That is not an insulting question because that motivation , sadly, is pretty common .

that and the pup you have are your blueprint as to what your possibilities are .

so tell us about your pup.

#8 ·
Thanks, all! I am encouraged to try different sports with him and see what we will enjoy together. He is a good boy and very willing to please...his puppy enthusiasm is sometimes a problem but as he is getting older he is starting to think more lol.

His sire and dam are pets, but I believe he has an older full sibling who is a therapy dog. Breeder's motivation is mostly to produce healthy pets. Since that's what I was looking for, I am fine with that. I don't need a high drive working dog. I want a fairly laid back house dog that is willing to go and try new things with me, but mostly just be obedient and trainable, but also be a beautiful German Shepherd. That's what mom and dad seem to be, so hoping pup will follow suit.

I was just curious if anything in his pedigree stood out to anyone. I realize that three generations back for titles isn't likely to have a big effect on his potential, and the mixture of lines means his type will be even less predictable. It will just be interesting as he develops to see what he got from each of his ancestors.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

#9 ·
Pulling up a 5 generation pedigree, he certainly hits all the different types - WGSL, WGWL, DDR, Czech, ASL, totally unknown and White pet breeding....there does seem to be as much working/show as unknown/pet/ASL....

AKC rally, agility and obedience - along with lure coursing, barnhunt, dock diving etc - are activities in which many breeds of dogs with many people participate....he is still a GSD and should be able to have a good time in any of those activities given he has solid nerves and a stable temperament.

He is certainly pretty, and shows the color and coat type seen in the WG/DDR/Czech lines so hopefully he will enjoy training in one or more of those activities.

Lee

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.