German Shepherds Forum banner

Pedigrees and Bloodlines.

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  carmspack 
#1 ·
Is there a book or website for understanding Pedigrees and Bloodlines?

#2 ·
what is your area of interest .

are you interested in current GSD , show line, working, sport , American bred dogs.

I can recommend books , magazines , in fact I have decades of German Shepherd Dog Reviews which document the top winning dogs in American show competition - pedigrees , lots of pictures, articles etc.

There is no charge for them. I do have to recoup shipping . That may add up to a bit , but it will be true shipping cost only .

#3 ·
Would love to learn about Pedigrees.

Carmen I am actually very interested in learning about pedigrees. I'm extremely new to it. I'm mainly interested in the working line shepherds. Could you recommend reading materials to help me learn how to distinguish between strong lines or less quality? Right now it's extremely confusing. :confused:

-Audrey

#4 ·
Nothing except going out and working dogs will help you with that. You have to understand what qualities are important and highly valued, see them for yourself, start to understand how those qualities are presented and how to see them in a dog.

Reading a pedigree, and just accepting what other people tell you about a certain dog in that pedigree is a waste of time...you're just regurgitating what they told you, you're not learning what that quality looks like and what it brings to the table.

If you want to learn about working, join an IPO club, start training, trialing, and the information will come quicker than you've ever imagined.

#6 ·
well there is iceberg breeders on this forum http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/breeding-general/163886-iceberg-breeders.html

martemchik I think Hemlock wants to become familiar with names and be able to join and understand discussions.

Pick a name any name - say Bernd Lierberg and then read as much as you can find on that dog, that litter .

Sue Barwig has a good encyclopedic book on the breed

as does Malcolm Willis - somewhat more advanced ,

Nem and Percy Elliot .

German Shepherd Quarterlies used to have breeder interviews (check ebay) -- Schutzhund USA magazines , many publications but in non-English print.

were do you want to begin , a particular era, a particular modern dog?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.