opinions on this pedigree - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2014, 06:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default opinions on this pedigree

Line-breeding for the progency of UKC CH Amadeus Jazzed Up On Coltrane von Granville and UKC CH, VP1, G Cashmere vom Boeselager

Just some honest opinions. Keeping in mind that I want an active pet with the ability to be trained as a working dog. And temperament and health are my big issues.
Sabis mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2014, 07:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

too much inconsistency in type to make any kinds of judgement call... pet sure....working? DDR/pet/WL with tail female out uncredentialed and sires dam lines with some AKC stuff/BH.....who knows...

I look for complementary and compensatory lines/abilities.....no way to tell on this....

Might be fine to do some entry level training...but with the questions on the sires dam lines....but the dam being half DDR and 3 gens of nothing credentialed in her dam lines it is a crap shoot...

I did not go look up OFAs....I would do that for sure before making a commitment (offa.org)

Lee

wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2014, 09:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you Lee. I respect your honesty. Breeder says the bitch is highly independent/challenging to train and does not thrive in a show/sport setting. All health testing/OFA checks out and the pups from this breeding are developing nicely. It may be repeated and I really like this bitch. The breeder backs her dogs 100%, is heavy into health testing and does a variety of things with them, outside of the traditional. It is worth mentioning that she is relatively new and learning herself, so a difficult dog may be outside of her ability at this point.
My plans for a pup derailed due to life but I keep coming back to this one bitch.
I do have to say that as breeders go, she may be doing some stuff a bit backward but she is doing an awful lot right.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

Sabi (hello btw, long time not speak!), lines and pedigree aside, these are GSDs. Even a "pet type" GSD banks the odds of being a very trainable companion animal that anyone but the most serious working prospector stands to enjoy.

Besides that, I just like Granville. She may be up-and-coming, and this particular bitch may not have all the bells and whistles, but as a kennel I can totally get behind them and consider what they are doing worth supporting. I know of no other breeder doing health testing as comprehensive, and knowing your history I can completely understand why that would be of importance to you, as it is to many. Many of her dogs don't have high level titles, but she DOES work them, which is more than most can say.
atravis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2014, 09:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

Is this pup from Granville? My friend has a dog from them. Very nice dog, good drive, social, stable. When she told me about him I looked at the website and was underwhelmed, but her boy and his litter mate are doing pretty great things now. So, I guess it's all in what you produce.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

Ha! I would know that dog anywhere. I hope all is well with you and the boys.

I keep looking for another pup, and I keep circling back, to Kashmir. I do like the breeder and I do believe she deserves praise for her efforts. But I really, really like this bitch. So much so that I considered offering to buy her a while back. Sadly an adult bitch is a bad idea. It seems I am not destined to have a pup anytime soon.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

All is well, and I hope the same for your crew

Liking the bitch that much is reason enough to stay in contact. For what you want, I can't imagine a breeding like this wouldn't produce it. Being overly concerned with complementary pedigrees and which lines blend well/etc is all well and good for the serious competitor or a breeder. For a nice working pet? Who could look at Granville and not appreciate what they are striving for, even if they are just starting out.
atravis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2014, 10:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdsar View Post
Is this pup from Granville? My friend has a dog from them. Very nice dog, good drive, social, stable. When she told me about him I looked at the website and was underwhelmed, but her boy and his litter mate are doing pretty great things now. So, I guess it's all in what you produce.
Is he a Berlin pup? For a dog with no real titles, he is proving to be quite the producer. Working PD, SAR, service dogs, detection.
Yes it's a Granville litter, planned anyway.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabis mom View Post
Thank you Lee. I respect your honesty. Breeder says the bitch is highly independent/challenging to train and does not thrive in a show/sport setting. All health testing/OFA checks out and the pups from this breeding are developing nicely. It may be repeated and I really like this bitch. The breeder backs her dogs 100%, is heavy into health testing and does a variety of things with them, outside of the traditional. It is worth mentioning that she is relatively new and learning herself, so a difficult dog may be outside of her ability at this point.
My plans for a pup derailed due to life but I keep coming back to this one bitch.
I do have to say that as breeders go, she may be doing some stuff a bit backward but she is doing an awful lot right.

The first highlighted comment would make me be very cautious.....I don't like dogs like this...I like dogs who WANT to work with you. Perhaps the male counteracts this characteristic, but breeders need to know the lines, how to combine them etc....and with the second comment, I would not have alot of confidence.

Lee

wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2014, 10:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

why would a female that "Breeder says the bitch is highly independent/challenging to train and does not thrive in a show/sport setting" be of interest , and why would a breeder hoping to produce some solid dogs breed a female that fits this description.
Does not sound like something that you would want in a pet home which generally are not prepared for a "challenge to train" and not something you would want for competition where the dog "does not thrive" , and not for real work either because results will likely be unreliable.
No work ethic?
Independent .
Why when you " want an active pet with the ability to be trained as a working dog. " and the breeder has given information which is contrary to your ideal , do you "really, really like this bitch".

Carmspack
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.