Need Pedigree help--Long time GSD lover - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2014, 07:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Need Pedigree help--Long time GSD lover

We lost our female GSD about 3.5 years ago. She was 13 years old and a huge part of our family. My daughter and GSD ( Chula) grew up together.

We have been thinking about another GSD for about year and 1/2 now but its so hard to sort through the breed info. We were at our vet (with our female Beauceron) and met a GSD breeder of working lines.

We met the last male puppy who is now 12 weeks old. His litter mates went to serach and rescue and help for the blind. Of course we fell in love with him but want to do our due dilgence.

Can someone please help me with his pedigree line. I am looking for a dog with good working lines. He would be mostly a family dog but like our former GSD would go through obedience and bite work training.

I have pasted the parents pedigree info below. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sbd Posejpal's Leka

Agar Z Modra Hvezda
hamstring is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2014, 09:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hello all
Can anyone help with pediagree help I need to make a decision on this puppy fairly quickly.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Why was he the only one left? How was your interaction with him when you met him?
simba405 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2014, 09:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Have you met the parents? How were they? You have a real life pedigree in front of you.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

2 generations of untitled dogs...hard to make any call....dog is mostly czech with some Belgian lines....are the parents and the grandparents all certified for clear hips????

kind of ambivalent - if you can meet the parents adn have someone knowledgeable meet the pup and evaluate it would be the best way to go

Not an expert on czech lines, there have been some people here with dogs from the breeder of the sire....

Lee

wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2014, 10:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Czech dogs seem to be very sharp. You can send a PM to Cliffson1 on there. He's very good on pedigrees and has knowledge of Czech dogs.

Personally, when I was looking for a sport dog, titles were important to me. I wanted to see that the parents had what it took. And I met the parents to make sure they were balanced.

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2014, 10:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

First off thanks for the relpy.

We met both parents and I am not an expert by any means. The male just turned two and the female was 6. This was the first litter with this male and the female has had several litters ( aprox 4 with 3 different males). She had just been spayed this was her last litter.

They reason for posting pedigree was because of my lack of experience choosing a dog. You can read and research all over the internet, and I have, and if you don’t have experience it can be a daunting task.

We asked why the male puppy was left and were told. First off the person who initially was interested never got back to the breeder. She also said one of the search and rescue people she works with said he was wasn’t a good fit for the search and rescue had a little to much drive . Probably not the exact words but I think I have come close.

Far from being an expert at this we relied on the breeders input. The male seemed confident. I played a little tug of war with him and i couldn’t say he was overly aggressive. He didn’t tug hard or have a full mouth on it. He wasn't solely focused on the toy. He did get focused on the family cat and was persistent at trying to play with the cat. I have read all the advice on choosing the puppy but will admit I probably did not do a good job of evaluation.

I have a with problem with commenting on drive. Our 4 yr old Beauceron bitch is just plain crazy with drive. I don’t think it’s a fair comparison but it’s what i have been around for 4 years. I have learned drive alone does not make the dog i am after. Our Beauceron doesn’t even bark at the mailman. We love her but she is not a GSD.

I want a family companion but also a dog will show some protection traits.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

All I have to say is these lines won't be social butterflies. I wouldn't recommend anyone walking into your house uninvited. They are aloof. Have no problem biting and need to be TAUGHT what is a threat and what isn't.They might need a firm hand and a more experienced owner.

Go see the parents and the pup. How confident are they? The temperament is important. I'm sure the dogs have drives and can allow you to dabble in sport.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by simba405 View Post
All I have to say is these lines won't be social butterflies. I wouldn't recommend anyone walking into your house uninvited. They are aloof. Have no problem biting and need to be TAUGHT what is a threat and what isn't.They might need a firm hand and a more experienced owner.

Go see the parents and the pup. How confident are they? The temperament is important. I'm sure the dogs have drives and can allow you to dabble in sport.

We did see the parents and met both. They had no problems with us very friendly the female brought a toy and barked at me to play with her. The male allowed me to pet him roughly.

How do you differentiate confidence from being friendly? My Beauceron is very friendly but in stress situations, not at our home, out of her comfort zone she can be quite timid. You wouldn’t know this this unless you had her outside our home otherwise she would seem quite confident even overtly friendly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.