WGWL not real - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2014, 11:29 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default WGWL not real

So I've been studying different working lines and I've seen some people stating that wgwl are used mainly for high levels of sporting. Does this mean that they aren't very civil dogs generally? I've also seen some say that they are fairly aggressive. I'm really confused.

V (2009 USA SS) Boy von Zorra

For example, would you consider this to be a sporting line? I'm just curious if anybody could chime in.
cltyus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2014, 03:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'll let others with more knowledge of bloodlines in general and WGWL in particular chime in on whether they are appropriate for non-sporting family (although based on what I've seen in other threads I strongly suspect the answer is yes). I think you also need to be a little more careful in your terminology. It seems like you're using the term "civil" as a synonym for polite or well behaved with strangers. My understanding is that when someone says a GSD is a "civil" dog they mean something very different and it could create a real potential for miscommunication if you tell a breeder you are looking for a "civil" dog. "Aggressive" is also something of a loaded word that can be interpreted a number of ways.

BTW - I'm interested to hear what others say about the dog you linked to. My only observation is that generally I prefer the looks of the GSL dogs, but think that is one good looking dog.
John C. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2014, 06:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

This should explain civil:

Civil - meaning?
Old 05-18-2014, 06:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

Are you looking to get a dog?
Steve Strom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2014, 09:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

Are you considering getting a Boy puppy? I've met him and I've owned and trained one of his sons so I could give my opinion but don't really want to use him as an example just because.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2014, 11:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yes to both questions lol
Old 05-19-2014, 01:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Any good Shepherd will bark and alert you. No need to get caught up in the civil mumbo jumbo.

This is over generalizing but if you want the most "real" of all the different stereotypical working lines then get a czech dog. High natural suspicion and have no problem biting. Also pretty territorial. Wouldn't recommend a plumber just walking into your house without permission. Then again I wouldn't recommend a good czech dog to a first time owner either.
simba405 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2014, 01:20 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by simba405 View Post
Any good Shepherd will bark and alert you. No need to get caught up in the civil mumbo jumbo.

This is over generalizing but if you want the most "real" of all the different stereotypical working lines then get a czech dog. High natural suspicion and have no problem biting. Also pretty territorial. Wouldn't recommend a plumber just walking into your house without permission. Then again I wouldn't recommend a good czech dog to a first time owner either.

Ok thanks! Just the way some people refer to sports dogs make it seem like they are retrievers that play tug on a sleeve with no real aggression
Old 05-19-2014, 01:23 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cltyus View Post
Ok thanks! Just the way some people refer to sports dogs make it seem like they are retrievers that play tug on a sleeve with no real aggression
Those kinda dogs are common. Civil, socially aggressive dogs aren't for everyone, but are manageable by a first time owner if they really consider what is entailed before getting such a dog
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
hunterisgreat is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2014, 02:32 AM   #10 (permalink)

I can handle it, I've had other aggressive breeds before, and a shepherd, just wasn't a working line...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.