German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Bloodlines & Pedigrees (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/bloodlines-pedigrees/)
-   -   Curious about pedigree (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/bloodlines-pedigrees/434401-curious-about-pedigree.html)

Colie CVT 04-06-2014 02:01 AM

Curious about pedigree

I am not really good at looking at a pedigree and knowing what would mean what lol. I realize that my dog is a white shepherd, but if you go back in her pedigree, there are GSD with different titles there. A few friends have attempted to explain but I still am kind of curious.

It is fairly far back there, but I figure it's a way to learn something new. :) Some day I may aim for a working line or the like, but reading the pedigree to tell if it actually is a working line or show that has done some sport is what I'm curious to. My other dog's father is the only one that I can get a pedigree on the database for, but his mother has fairly similar background as my Leia does.

Surefire Hallelujah

Colie CVT 04-08-2014 12:55 PM

Anybody? :/

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

TwoBigEars 04-08-2014 01:07 PM

Most people here aren't going to know a lot about white shepherds. And I'm not really sure what you're asking. Is this Leia?

I'm not seeing working titles until you get back to the 4th and 5th generations, then you get some SchH2/3 GSDs. The rest are mostly conformation, some obedience, and a couple tracking dogs.

The thing about white shepherds is that they aren't really split into show and working lines like GSDs are. With white shepherds, it's basically show lines or BYBs.

Colie CVT 04-08-2014 03:32 PM

It's the dogs in the back with the titles. I didn't expect people to know much about the closer dogs. Just from what I know of the kennel she comes from it tells me.

I was curious as far as the dogs with the V titles and the Sch titles. How to tell what lines I am looking at. I figure it's a way to learn a bit of something new lol. I know that Sch titles were required for show dogs, but from what it seems those may not be the same weight I think as dogs who are from working lines?

Just hoping to learn a little something using my own dog's pedigree lol. It is Leia's pedigree. Doyle's is heavier in white shepherds and I suspect it much more show and his dam has a limited pedigree on the site, instead of being on PDB. Found his father tho. The image of him looks a lot like Doyle does now lol.

MaggieRoseLee 04-08-2014 04:01 PM

Any extra letters BEFORE our dogs names are the really high titles like the Championships.

Since white GSD's aren't able to compete in many regular GSD conformation trials, since white is a disqualifying fault, that's why the CH titles are with the UKC (rather than AKC). So I'm guessing the GRCH is Grand Champion. http://www.ukcdogs.com/Web.nsf/WebPa...eAbbreviations

MaggieRoseLee 04-08-2014 04:09 PM

UKC/AWSA/WSCC/WGSDCII CH., U-CD CDX, TT, HC, CGC Reeves Royal Angus von Tasz male

The purple titles are AKC performance titles (like my agility stuff) for obedience, temperament GSD test), herding, canine good citizen.

American Kennel Club - AKC Titles and Abbreviations

Merciel 04-08-2014 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colie CVT (Post 5345337)
I was curious as far as the dogs with the V titles and the Sch titles. How to tell what lines I am looking at. I figure it's a way to learn a bit of something new lol. I know that Sch titles were required for show dogs, but from what it seems those may not be the same weight I think as dogs who are from working lines?

You can't tell this from the titles alone.

They are show lines, however. The pictures suggest as much, and Googling the kennel names confirms it. The results come up with show line breeders. Wildsteiger Land is evidently quite well known, for one: Startseite

The dogs closer in the pedigree look like mostly UKC conformation dogs.

It's really interesting to look at the mix that goes into a white shepherd. I am no expert, but to me it looks like everything from at least one prominent West German showline stud to some nondescript American pet line dogs to eventually arrive at UKC conformation white shepherds. I wouldn't have expected to see such a broad range of dogs to arrive at that final product. Learned something new today. :)

MaggieRoseLee 04-08-2014 04:20 PM

Whole lot of 'surefire' involved on both sides.

Where was everyone seeing the Sch titles???

Merciel 04-08-2014 04:36 PM

You have to tab it to 5 generations back. There are some SchH3s and at least one SchH2 in the fifth generation, which is where you see the V/VA German showline dogs.

Colie CVT 04-08-2014 06:39 PM

That's what I thought too when I was looking back in her line, Merciel. :) I am not used to having dogs with backgrounds I can trace lol! My golden has papers, but his lineage is basically from hunting lines and the like that work the dog without trials involved and likely pet dogs too.

If I linked to Doyle's sire, you have white dogs going back really far in comparison! I know white dogs likely were around for some time, but after seeing the mix in Leia's I wasn't sure what to expect. :)

Leia was pick of her litter I believe. Didn't get shown though. She has beautiful movement however and the drives that have been brought up in training sure are fun to watch. I think I have a big dumb grin on my face most of the time.

I will have to look at that link when I get home! It is kind of silly I know but I like knowing where she came from and what helped mold her to be who she is over time if that makes sense lol. I'm kind of a nerd when it comes to genetics, sciences and the like.

I have some non-show style pictures of her we could trade in to really surprise people lol.