German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Bloodlines & Pedigrees (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/bloodlines-pedigrees/)
-   -   German Shepherd lines are genetically different (moved from gen inf) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/bloodlines-pedigrees/426202-german-shepherd-lines-genetically-different-moved-gen-inf.html)

SuperG 03-18-2014 06:29 PM

German Shepherd lines are genetically different (moved from gen inf)

Interesting study about GSDs

RSV2000 .:. German Shepherd lines are genetically different

SuperG

Mister C 03-18-2014 08:23 PM

yes, interesting. thanks for sharing.

I'd love to see a similar survey with a much wider pool of dogs.

Blanketback 03-18-2014 08:29 PM

I'm glad you posted this, because I have a crazy question about it, and I hope someone can explain it to me. All those dots represent different DNA, but why wouldn't they be different if they're from different lines? That's what I don't understand: why anyone would expect them to be the same in the first place. Like none of us here would be clustered together, but if all our relatives were also added, then there'd be groupings. If that makes sense.

robk 03-18-2014 08:56 PM

What I took from it is that working lines are much more diverse genetically then show lines. .

Jax08 03-18-2014 09:17 PM

I saw this a few weeks ago. Very interesting that in just a few decades the breed has splintered to two individual genetic groups

brembo 03-18-2014 09:54 PM

Well, if one looks at the entire genome then they are not divergent. It's a really really complex molecule. At what point does the terminology "different" mean something significant?

If those Ven diagrams were of the sequence that controls coloration, then yeah, they are very different. I have blue eyes and blonde hair, but on the average I'm the "same" as my friend with brown hair and green eyes.

carmspack 03-18-2014 10:26 PM

we essentially have 3 separate breeds , working , German show and American .

volcano 03-19-2014 01:58 AM

yeah, its dumb/ of course they are different, or else theyd be the same.

SuperG 03-19-2014 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blanketback (Post 5225994)
I'm glad you posted this, because I have a crazy question about it, and I hope someone can explain it to me. All those dots represent different DNA, but why wouldn't they be different if they're from different lines? That's what I don't understand: why anyone would expect them to be the same in the first place. Like none of us here would be clustered together, but if all our relatives were also added, then there'd be groupings. If that makes sense.

In response to your " Like none of us here would be clustered together"....."Although scientists have long recognised that, despite physical differences, all human populations are genetically similar, the new work concludes that populations from different parts of the world share even more genetic similarities than previously assumed" Scientists state "all humans are 99.9 per cent identical and, of that tiny 0.1 per cent difference, 94 per cent of the variation is among individuals from the same populations and only six per cent between individuals from different populations."

SuperG

SuperG 03-19-2014 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by volcano (Post 5227570)
yeah, its dumb/ of course they are different, or else theyd be the same.

seriously ????

SuperG