German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Bloodlines & Pedigrees (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/bloodlines-pedigrees/)
-   -   Show Line Breeding with Kirschental dogs (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/bloodlines-pedigrees/423354-show-line-breeding-kirschental-dogs.html)

John C. 03-12-2014 03:16 PM

Show Line Breeding with Kirschental dogs

Does anyone know anything about the pedigrees/lines of these two dogs -
Bara von der Sandsteinkust and Java vom Kirschental?

I've done a little research on the Kirschental lines and like that, while they have the looks of WGSL dogs, they were all actively involved in herding, and the fact that the Kirschental Kennels has been breeding dogs for 50 years. I've also read somewhere that Kirschental dogs have the reputation for being somewhat handler sensitive, but do have a strong desire to please their handler.

However, I know almost nothing about the various GSD bloodlines and would love to get the input of breeders and others who know far more about this than me.

I did get to meet both of these dogs and a 4 month old puppy from a prior paring of these two dogs and was impressed by their calm demeanor (although I suspect that none of these dogs possess over the top drives).

mspiker03 03-12-2014 03:23 PM

I have a Kirschental dog. Handler sensitive - yes. She also just wants to work and would probably work until she collapsed. There was another forum member with a dog from Java. You may want to do a search for him or her. I only have my phone now so helping is hard, but I know he posted on a threat about kirschental dogs and did mention java.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Jim and Echo 03-17-2014 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John C. (Post 5185554)
Does anyone know anything about the pedigrees/lines of these two dogs -

I've done a little research on the Kirschental lines and like that, while they have the looks of WGSL dogs, they were all actively involved in herding, and the fact that the Kirschental Kennels has been breeding dogs for 50 years. I've also read somewhere that Kirschental dogs have the reputation for being somewhat handler sensitive, but do have a strong desire to please their handler.

However, I know almost nothing about the various GSD bloodlines and would love to get the input of breeders and others who know far more about this than me.

I did get to meet both of these dogs and a 4 month old puppy from a prior paring of these two dogs and was impressed by their calm demeanor (although I suspect that none of these dogs possess over the top drives).

Hello I have a puppy from Bara von der Sandsteinkust and Java vom Kirschental and he does have a lot of drive!!! you can see him and one of his sisters this saturday at olympia kennels at 11:00 for training. come and see for yourself. He is a great dog, and would be great at anything I want to train him for.

blehmannwa 03-17-2014 08:23 PM

My boy Havoc is closely related to Java. Great dog. Loves Nosework, loves his family. Aloof towards strangers but a goof with friends. Excellent companion who has gotten more and more affectionate with age--he was three in December.

John C. 03-17-2014 08:47 PM

Great, thanks for the replies. My wife and I have visited Olympia Kennels, got to meet the owners and both Java and Bara. We were very impressed with the owners and their dogs. And of course it was great that they had both dogs on the premises. It's nice to have our initial impressions confirmed by a current owner of a puppy from this breeding, as well as two other owners of pups from the Kirschental lines.

I've been trying to do some research on my own, and I have to say I've read nothing but good things about Kirschental dogs. And they seem like they would be a perfect fit for us. We love the looks of the WGSL dogs, but also want a dog that's trainable, loves to work, is healthy and has a solid temperment. Everything I've read about Kirschental dogs seems to tick all these boxes. These dogs all have a working background (HGH not Schutzhund) and come from a breeder that has been CONSISTENTLY producing quality dogs for 50 years. Surely that kind of depth and consistency has to count for something.

blehmannwa 03-17-2014 09:20 PM

I think that Java might actually be Havoc's "aunt"! Small world.

cliffson1 03-18-2014 08:54 AM

If getting a puppy try to make sure you can get your pup between 8 and 10 weeks.....I have seen and worked two different Kirschental dogs in past 10 years that were brought from the Kirschental kennel ( while Karl was still active) at 5 months and 6 months. I feel they showed the effects of kennel life during puppy developmental periods. I have seen many Kirschental dogs that were received at 8 to 10 weeks and had the traits you are looking for. Good Luck!

John C. 03-18-2014 10:08 AM

It is pretty amazing when you think of the tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of GSD out there that you can post on this forum and run into someone who has a puppy from these two dogs and someone else who owns a close relative. I guess the number of people who really try to research the various lines and kennels and do their best to find a dog that would be a good match for them is much smaller. I really appreciate everyone's help and generosity.

Cliffson, thanks for the insightful comments and the benefits of your experience. Our plan would be to get a puppy and bring him home at 8-9 weeks, where he will definitely not be spending his time in a kennel. In fact, although we started our puppy search almost a month ago, we have ruled out actually getting a puppy until late May or early June, since we are planning to spend 7-8 days traveling to Portland, Oregon for our daughter's graduation from college and some sightseeing, and would not want to get a new puppy only to immediately put him in a kennel.

Jim and Echo 03-18-2014 06:18 PM

Well if you get your dog at Olympia, I know that Gina aways takes the puppies one at a time to spend some time with them in there home. hope to see you this Saturday so you can see Echo and one of his sisters and talk.

blehmannwa 03-18-2014 07:09 PM

Thanks for the info Cliffson...I had heard that some Kirschental dogs could be sensitive and I wonder if that is the effect of kennel life. We got Havs at eight weeks and he has been pretty solid. We had a major crisis which resulted in complete turmoil for a year right after he turned one. Consequently he is not as comfortable in public as I had hoped he would be--I'm talking about pubs, restaurants and crowded parks but that's a high bar. At home he is amazing and welcomed dozens of health care workers over the course of my husband's recovery. He's close tobombproof when doing Nosework and enjoys staying at nice hotels..he particularly likes room service.

It's pretty funny when he stays at a hotel. You can tell he is on vacation. He doesn't alert to hallway noises and sleeps on our bed instead of thresholds--we bring a sheet from home.