German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Bloodlines & Pedigrees (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/bloodlines-pedigrees/)
-   -   Can SL gsd's make a good personal protection dog? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/bloodlines-pedigrees/421497-can-sl-gsds-make-good-personal-protection-dog.html)

Germanshepherdlover2507 03-09-2014 03:53 AM

Can SL gsd's make a good personal protection dog?

I'm not planning on training my gsd pup in personal protection but I was just wondering. I was doing some research on the topic and basically everybody out there is saying that on WL gsd's are good for personal protection and for working. And that SL gsd's are weaker, more shy and not good for protection at all. In fact there was one person who said that they wouldn't trust a SL gsd to protect any of his/her family members. Also that they will do nothing more than bark at strangers and that they are much friendlier with them. I really don't want to believe what these people said! I just found a wonderful SL gsd pup that I'm planning on getting in a week. (from a reputable breeder of coarse).
Is what they said true? Please tell me your experiences with both lines. Thank you so much guys!

boomer11 03-09-2014 04:11 AM

Is there something you need protection from? If so get a gun.

A well bred stable german Shepherd is a good deterrent no matter what line it's from. From my own experience i did find my show line to be much more friendly and would run up to people to sniff them etc. My working line is much more aloof and would just watch strangers. I never have to worry about him running up to people.

Either way I wouldn't count on a dog with no training to protect you no matter which line it's from. If I had to choose a line to train in personal protection it would 110% be working line though. They are bred to train, not to look pretty.

volcano 03-09-2014 05:58 AM

Heres something to consider- if the dog is kept in a cage at night it cant do much. I have a tough girl but shes crated.

lhczth 03-09-2014 11:34 AM

Yes. If the dog has the right drives, instincts, temperament and nerves, the lines won't matter.

Germanshepherdlover2507 03-09-2014 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lhczth (Post 5161913)
Yes. If the dog has the right drives, instincts, temperament and nerves, the lines won't matter.

thank you so much! I was hoping that those people were wrong about them:)

Nigel 03-09-2014 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Germanshepherdlover2507 (Post 5162441)
thank you so much! I was hoping that those people were wrong about them:)

It's been said before, a good dog is a good dog regardless of lines.

Baillif 03-09-2014 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boomer11 (Post 5161393)
Is there something you need protection from? If so get a gun.

A well bred stable german Shepherd is a good deterrent no matter what line it's from. From my own experience i did find my show line to be much more friendly and would run up to people to sniff them etc. My working line is much more aloof and would just watch strangers. I never have to worry about him running up to people.

Either way I wouldn't count on a dog with no training to protect you no matter which line it's from. If I had to choose a line to train in personal protection it would 110% be working line though. They are bred to train, not to look pretty.

Yup. Plus youre a human being. Youre smarter and more innovative than a dog. Why trust your protection and well being to an animal with a brain the size of a lemon?

Baillif 03-09-2014 03:04 PM

Also in before david talks about how fama saved him in war time. Different set of circumstances. If youre going to kabul or something ok take a good dog but might want a gun too.

Sunflowers 03-09-2014 03:06 PM

179 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baillif (Post 5162601)
Yup. Plus youre a human being. Youre smarter and more innovative than a dog. Why trust your protection and well being to an animal with a brain the size of a lemon?

Hehe. If a GSD has a brain the size of a lemon, what does a Chihuahua have?
Kumquat? :D

Baillif 03-09-2014 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunflowers (Post 5162625)
Hehe. If a GSD has a brain the size of a lemon, what does a Chihuahua have?
Kumquat? :D

Two lima beans pushed together