What should I expect out of a dog with this pedigree? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2014, 06:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default What should I expect out of a dog with this pedigree?

Long story short, my coworker has a friend who needs to rehome her GSD. I have spent a little time with the dog, and she seems very intelligent, biddable, and still has a good amount of energy for being 5 years old. She seemed to settle nicely in the house. Her current owner said that she started Schutzhund with her, but she decided to move onto doing agility with her Aussies so she stopped.

She showed me the pedigree, but I admit that I know nothing about pedigrees! I just want to make sure that I am not taking home 'too much' dog. I currently have a very high energy, lovable, excitable male GSD. I'm looking for a nice fit for him for a companion. The current owner is willing to do a 'trial run' with me to see if she fits nicely into my home.

I'm just trying to see if I can get some more information on what I can expect. I've always had rescues. I've never had a 'working' line dog. I'm trying to get a grasp if she will be able to acclimate to an active home or if she needs something more than that (she currently spends her time in a kennel outdoors and in the garage, sadly.)

The sire:
Hans vom Basshaus

The dam:
Sina von der Nord Kuste
Zlata is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2014, 07:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

There are some very strong dogs in her pedigree (Geppetto and Ben), but I would base your decision on the dog herself. If they are willing to allow you to do a test run I would do that. Just remember it can take at least 6 weeks for a dog to start to fully acclimate to its new home and person and take that into account.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2014, 05:01 AM   #3 (permalink)

Nevermind. Didn't read fully. Question answered.

Albus "Dobby" Van Meerhout

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DobbyDad is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2014, 07:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I like seeing the mother's mother line going through Titus....a super strong dog in nerve giving support of nerve to support the Ben's and Gephetto.
cliffson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2014, 09:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

the paper work at this point is worth a pinch .
You have a 5 year old dog before you. The potential of the pedigree has been realized or not in this dog.
You now have the cumulative effect of genetics, and environment , training and socialization .
the papers will only be a consideration for breeding.

go and see the dog and test the dog .

go to your friends and take the dog out for a couple of walks, together . See the dog in different environments with your friend and see if you like the dogs reactions.
See how the dog fits into the friends home .

Have the friend bring the dog over to your house , see how the dog reacts.

carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2014, 04:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thank you for everyone's input! I do believe we are going to give her a go to see how she fits in with our family. I will keep the detail in mind that it may take some significant time for her to adjust and adapt.
Zlata is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what the 2x4 is made of.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.