German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Bloodlines & Pedigrees (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/bloodlines-pedigrees/)
-   -   What should I expect out of a dog with this pedigree? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/bloodlines-pedigrees/419049-what-should-i-expect-out-dog-pedigree.html)

Zlata 03-03-2014 06:36 PM

What should I expect out of a dog with this pedigree?

Long story short, my coworker has a friend who needs to rehome her GSD. I have spent a little time with the dog, and she seems very intelligent, biddable, and still has a good amount of energy for being 5 years old. She seemed to settle nicely in the house. Her current owner said that she started Schutzhund with her, but she decided to move onto doing agility with her Aussies so she stopped.

She showed me the pedigree, but I admit that I know nothing about pedigrees! I just want to make sure that I am not taking home 'too much' dog. I currently have a very high energy, lovable, excitable male GSD. I'm looking for a nice fit for him for a companion. The current owner is willing to do a 'trial run' with me to see if she fits nicely into my home.

I'm just trying to see if I can get some more information on what I can expect. I've always had rescues. I've never had a 'working' line dog. I'm trying to get a grasp if she will be able to acclimate to an active home or if she needs something more than that (she currently spends her time in a kennel outdoors and in the garage, sadly.)

The sire:
Hans vom Basshaus

The dam:
Sina von der Nord Kuste

lhczth 03-03-2014 07:17 PM

There are some very strong dogs in her pedigree (Geppetto and Ben), but I would base your decision on the dog herself. If they are willing to allow you to do a test run I would do that. Just remember it can take at least 6 weeks for a dog to start to fully acclimate to its new home and person and take that into account.

DobbyDad 03-04-2014 05:01 AM

Nevermind. Didn't read fully. Question answered.

cliffson1 03-04-2014 07:40 AM

I like seeing the mother's mother line going through Titus....a super strong dog in nerve giving support of nerve to support the Ben's and Gephetto.

carmspack 03-04-2014 09:07 AM

the paper work at this point is worth a pinch .
You have a 5 year old dog before you. The potential of the pedigree has been realized or not in this dog.
You now have the cumulative effect of genetics, and environment , training and socialization .
the papers will only be a consideration for breeding.

go and see the dog and test the dog .

go to your friends and take the dog out for a couple of walks, together . See the dog in different environments with your friend and see if you like the dogs reactions.
See how the dog fits into the friends home .

Have the friend bring the dog over to your house , see how the dog reacts.

Zlata 03-04-2014 04:14 PM

Thank you for everyone's input! I do believe we are going to give her a go to see how she fits in with our family. I will keep the detail in mind that it may take some significant time for her to adjust and adapt.