bloodlines or dogs known to produce long coats - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2014, 02:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default bloodlines or dogs known to produce long coats

I'm thinking about getting a second puppy in another year.

I'm going to get a working line this go round. My main quality I'm looking for is a strong desire to work, or a very handler oriented dog. Probably medium drive, good off switch. I'm not sure if this puppy would be for schutzhund as the sport aspect (though that would be nice) or just tracking and maybe a little protection work Down the line (nothing hardcore, just for mental stimulation and a good challenge).

Anyway, tangent. I have all the time in the world to find my idea of the perfect litter, so along with my health, temperament search, why not add a little something else? I
are there any dogs you guys know of or have seen work that LOVE to work, have impressed you, and have been known to throw long coat pups on occasion? I know its not the standard but I also know it happens quite frequently in some lines so I'm looking for what those lines are if they also align to my wants. Thanks for reading
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2014, 03:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

I'd be interested to hear the responses as I'm a lover of all shepherds coated ;-)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jsnail17/
Kaiser2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2014, 04:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

this combination of working lines produced a black sable long coat and a bicolour long coat Carmspack Stark Bax Leona the sable and Mathias the bicolour represented by their brother Stark's pedigree

Mathias will at some time be bred for a working litter , not for long coat , that is never intentional . Would not breed to get the long coat and would not sell with long coat as primary interest . Whole package all the way.
Just showing a pedigree.

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2014, 04:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Thank you Carmen.
Yes the long coat trait is just something I'd look for on top of health, temperament for my next puppy. If a long coat was born in a litter and the pup's drives or personality weren't what I was looking for, I"d pass and get a short coat. Just want to try to increase the odds at least a little bit by focusing on some specific dogs that might carry the gene.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

"I know its not the standard but I also know it happens quite frequently in some lines so I'm looking for what those lines are if they also align to my wants. Thanks for reading [/QUOTE]

Look at GSD's being judged and conforming to the SV standards in Europe as what is not "standard" in the USA is now "standard" in Europe as well as Australia....in regards to coat.

1) Coat of hair, sub-item “quality of hair”

For New version:
a) German Shepherd Dog varieties based on hair types: As far as the hair type is concerned the German Shepherd Dog has been officially categorized into two approved varieties, viz. Straight Topcoat Hair with undercoat and Long Straight Topcoat with undercoat.
b) German Shepherd Dog Breeding within varieties: Breeding by combining two varieties are not allowed, despite both these varieties being approved by SV and FCI. Matings permitted only within the same varieties, for instance, either both animals are of Straight Topcoat Hair with undercoat variety OR both animals are of Long Straight Topcoat with undercoat variety.

Too many quality dogs in these countries had been penalized due to a longstock coat....not any more.

GSDCA is all about conformity to appearance....the rest of the world isn't. No wonder hardly any countries import American GSDs and the vast majority of GSDs which are exported come from abroad......that was a bit redundant....LOL

SuperG
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2014, 05:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Wishing you luck, as you know I am also waiting on a longcoat. The breeder does not breed for a longcoat, but I already know that both parents have produced them in the past.

So exciting and good luck on your search!
Old 01-16-2014, 07:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mego View Post
Thank you Carmen.
Yes the long coat trait is just something I'd look for on top of health, temperament for my next puppy. If a long coat was born in a litter and the pup's drives or personality weren't what I was looking for, I"d pass and get a short coat. Just want to try to increase the odds at least a little bit by focusing on some specific dogs that might carry the gene.
If you are interested in a working K9 line GSD, I can give you my breeder's contact information. He is in Collinsville.

Mother and father are both coaties.

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
MichaelE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2014, 08:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

A dog on our team is from working bloodlines and is a longcoat. Actually a littermate to the dog posted. He is, however, a monorchid

Diva vom Haus Shekinah

Irmus Galan Nalag
x
Itsy vom Mengeder Bach

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2014, 08:10 AM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

My first litter produced long coats. So both parents carry the gene. This is one of the pups from the litter. He is now a working K9. Ari vom Littlehaus
dawnandjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2014, 09:39 AM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Mego you have PM.

Mom & Dad:

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!

Last edited by MichaelE; 01-17-2014 at 09:48 AM.
MichaelE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.