TIGHT Inbreeding - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2013, 10:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default TIGHT Inbreeding

What are your experiences with WL dogs inbred tight. Goal oriented not accidental, on good dogs.
Im talking brother/sister, parent/progeny, grandparent/grandprogeny, dogs appearing several times close up etc.

This seems to be more common with Mal/Dutchy folks, hunting dogs and game bred dogs.

From what I hear the benifits (if it works out well) are extremely prepotent typey dogs that pass on their genetics well and you will be more likely to run into the potential pit falls in your bloodline.

The downsides are smaller litters, and bad recessives popping up both temperment and health. Obviously one would assume you would cull hard.

So any experiences good bad with such a work oriented breeding? Seems like going tight with appropriate outcrosses from time to time would increase the likelyhood of the pups you want expressing the traits you want..or thats the idea anyways.
Such shy animals are in all circumstances an encumbrance to their owner, who must be ashamed of such a dog, and a disgrace to their race. Under no circumstances whatever must they be used for breeding, however noble and striking they may appear.
Blitzkrieg1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2013, 01:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I don't think it is good idea today with most West dogs, but some years ago you could do it with the right compliments. Jmo
cliffson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2014, 07:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

What makes it more possible with mals and dutchies?
Such shy animals are in all circumstances an encumbrance to their owner, who must be ashamed of such a dog, and a disgrace to their race. Under no circumstances whatever must they be used for breeding, however noble and striking they may appear.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Just wrote a long piece on this subject on another venue, don't want to bore people on this forum, but basically it goes back to the beginnings of these breeds. In summary, the German Shepherd needs to be balanced for continuity of keeping it strong,( compensation breeding), Mals/Dutchies naturally have stronger singular traits that when amplified still allow the dog to be functional to its purpose. Sorry about lateness of response, I only check this forum about once a week.
cliffson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2014, 08:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

GSD are like a complex stew , many ingredients without one dominant trait.

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2014, 11:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
Doc
Elite Member

Tight inbreeding?? Inbreeding is always tight breeding.
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2014, 03:40 AM   #7 (permalink)

I'd love to be pointed to the longer piece you did on this topic
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2014, 11:08 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My boyfriends dog is linebred 2-3 on Ellute, which I consider a relatively tight linebreeding. He is an incredible dog, balanced in the house with any other dogs/people and environmentally stable everywhere else. He has incredible drive in all 3 phases of IPO. Super, super stable dog. Just had xrays done and hips and elbows looks great. But that's my only experience with a breeding of this type.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Boaz von der Quellwasser - little man in training!

http://vomfeuergarten.weebly.com/
GatorDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2014, 03:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffson1 View Post
Just wrote a long piece on this subject on another venue, don't want to bore people on this forum, but basically it goes back to the beginnings of these breeds. In summary, the German Shepherd needs to be balanced for continuity of keeping it strong,( compensation breeding), Mals/Dutchies naturally have stronger singular traits that when amplified still allow the dog to be functional to its purpose. Sorry about lateness of response, I only check this forum about once a week.

Id love a link.

The Ellute breeding sounds interesting. Its hard to find nice tight breedings like that. Was there a lot of variation in the litter?

So correct me if Im wrong, you are saying that mals/dutchys tend to express things like drive and nerve more strongly then GSDs? So GSD breedings tend to be more about offsetting weakness instead of emphasising and concentrating strengths?

Would the issue be a lack of worthy individuals to go tight on? Or to many negative recessives within the pool of potentially worthy individuals?
Old 02-28-2014, 04:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

Very interesting question that I've always though about myself, Blitzkrieg1. I've never seen a half brother half sister breeding (2-2)with the GSD and every time I've even seen it mentioned, I've seen the way people cringe. I've always wondered about it, because in the other breeds that you mentioned (Mals/Dutchies, hounds, sporting dogs, game bred dogs,hunting terriers,etc.), it's quite common. Showing a GSD pedigree to a fancier from one of the other working breeds and mentioning a dog bred 5-4 on a famous GSD,(say Mink) would be almost laughable . One thing I've learned is when looking at a GSD pedigree, you REALLY have to know WHERE those traits are coming from. Cliffson, I do understand a lot better now that you have mentioned the balance of the breed and being able to maintain it. I had always thought of other reasons.
coachcj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.