German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Bloodlines & Pedigrees (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/bloodlines-pedigrees/)
-   -   Pedigree Help/Education (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/bloodlines-pedigrees/383850-pedigree-help-education.html)

hdc 12-19-2013 01:53 AM

Pedigree Help/Education

Hi all,

(Forgive the length in advance): I cringed a little at this being my first post (aside from my Introduction), as I see I'm one of many (exhaustively, it appears) to ask a pedigree-related question, but I am genuinely curious about my guy's lines, top and bottom - and what a wealth of knowledge there appears to be among the members here! This is Greek to me; I am a Thoroughbred pedigree nerd, but that is backed by a lifetime of study and exposure to many of the top breeders and trainers in the country - something I do not have when it comes to dogs. I would like to gradually increase my knowledge of the various working GSD lines and what they throw, but it is a work-in-progress. I am poring over the forums here, amongst other things; feel free to suggest other resources, books, etc., if you're so inclined.

So why not begin at the beginning with my own? I am eager to procure another pup within the next year that has the same overall temperament and personality as my now-5 year-old male. I am unable to find any information on his breeder aside from the name and address that I already have on the original paperwork that came with him, though I can try to check through the individuals that selected and trained him for me when the time comes. (They utilize a handful of OCONUS kennels when selecting dogs for LE and private citizens like myself, as I understand it). That being said, if for some reason I would be unable to find a closely-related pup, does anyone have any suggestions as to similar lines/types of dogs based upon what you see in his pedigree? There are certain traits that appeal to me in both my horses and dogs. When I described the type of dog I wanted at the pre-purchase consultation, they listened and returned with this guy. It took them a few months to find what I was after, but he has proven to be a perfect companion for me.

Now that I have effectively written a novel (again I apologize) - what does an experienced eye see when they view my guy's pedigree? Is there a consistency to his relatives through and through? If so, what traits are present that many dislike? What traits are present that many desire or seek out? Are there any particularly notable dogs - of good or bad note - that appear and should be sought out or avoided if possible? Any pairings that leave one scratching their head? I sincerely appreciate any feedback - this is an ongoing learning experience, which I enjoy immensely. Eventually I hope to choose something to "do" with my dog. Understanding where he comes from, and what makes him "him" may help me to better gauge what the best fit for us would be. It will also assist me in choosing suitable dogs in the future. I have a lot of research to do regarding Schutzhund and other sports, but I am certainly open to other suggestions. Thanks so much for any input!

Links (including 2 in case one does not work for whatever reason):

Rex von der Sintherner Kirchgasse

Rex von der Sintherner Kirchgasse ? working-dog

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

David Winners 12-19-2013 04:44 AM

Stefan Schaub of Staatsmacht Kennel is in Minnesota. He would be a great one to call if you want to talk about the bloodlines of his dogs. He will welcome you to his kennel to see what he produces as well.

hdc 12-19-2013 02:42 PM

Thanks for the info, David! Was Stefan formerly located in Germany, by any chance? My dog was brought over from there - Pulheim to be exact, I believe. The breeder on his pink papers is listed as a Friedrich Muller, however.

Wild Wolf 12-19-2013 02:47 PM

I can provide info on the Staatsmacht foundation female line, just shoot me a PM with what you want to know.

I wrote this up for my website, I always direct people to it when they want to start learning about pedigrees. It may be of some use to you:

Pedigrees - German Shepherd Guide

Good luck on the research, if I come up with anything viewing the ped you providing I will PM you. I find this sort of thing interesting and enjoyable.

JakodaCD OA 12-19-2013 03:38 PM

hdc, not David, but I do believe Stefan was formerly from Germany and now resides here in the us...I think he might even be a member here tho doesn't post much.

Your best bet is to follow David's advice and contact stefan since the pedigree looks like the stud was staatsmacht dog. Mr Muller probably owned the female and bred the litter:)

hdc 12-19-2013 05:37 PM

WildWolf,

Thanks so much! I will check out the link you provided after I post this. I too really enjoy pedigree research, genetics, etc. (I have volumes and volumes of various works related to Thoroughbred horses, but am only just getting started where GSDs are concerned). I appreciate your reply!

hdc 12-19-2013 05:42 PM

JakodaCD OA,

Thanks for your reply; I will follow up with Stefan and see if he might be able to provide me with some more info, and maybe even schedule a visit in the future. Interestingly, I had been under the impression that there just weren't many "good" working-line breeders in the US, and had even heard one gentleman state that he would "never purchase an American-bred GSD, of any flavor, working or otherwise". That stuck in my head - I am really interested to see what Stefan may have, as I have been reading a lot of positive things about him and his dogs just on this board alone when I searched. Thanks again!

JakodaCD OA 12-19-2013 05:45 PM

hdc, there are ALOT of really good working line breeders/dogs here in the US. Just have to know who to go with. Have fun researching!

David Winners 12-19-2013 09:19 PM

Yes, Stefan moved to the US from Europe. I feel we are lucky to have him.

I don't know what your definition of a good dog is, but I would find it hard to believe that anyone would claim that Stefan was breeding dogs that were not worth working.

Check out his web site and YouTube.

Search Staatsmacht on pedigree database.

Go check out his training facility and dogs.

David Winners

dawnandjr 12-19-2013 09:25 PM

West German working line, just looked quick and saw that Fero is back there too. Very popular stud that was used a lot.