German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Bloodlines & Pedigrees (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/bloodlines-pedigrees/)
-   -   Are GSD's getting bigger?? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/bloodlines-pedigrees/383442-gsds-getting-bigger.html)

zeusy 12-18-2013 09:56 AM

Are GSD's getting bigger??

Are german shepherds getting bigger? Are breeders breeding for size only? Are we moving away from versatilty and workability? Recently i've seen ad's for stud's at 30" at the withers and weighing over 100 pounds. Ive heard of Sire's who where 125 pounds and Dams weighing close to 90 pounds.

MichaelE 12-18-2013 10:30 AM

Probably BYB's who know nothing about the breed duping buyers who know even less.

DWP 12-18-2013 10:48 AM

I was wondering the same

Growing up our GSDs were in the 60lb range for females and a little larger for the males. Our latest GSD female is 92lbs! She is a mix of European (sorry, can't remember if Austrian or German) working and show lines. When she was 2 and a half we went to our breeders for some training and they were surprised at her size. She was the largest GSD present, easily the largest of her litter. (no she is not overweight) Even so, all the females were easily 75lbs and the males 85 to 90lbs.

I like the look of the size, but wonder if it is good for the breed.

No expert here though.

Liesje 12-18-2013 01:33 PM

Most of the adult GSDs I see at UKC and SV shows are in the 45-80lb range and all of my purebred GSDs have been within that range as intact adults. I've seen people comment on how large some of the show dogs are but I wonder how accurate that is? Or maybe it's more of an AKC thing? In the SV ring, the judges seem to have gotten more picky with size and will definitely comment on a dog that is too large, too tall, or too heavy. I find a lot of WGSL dogs look larger than life. My own WGSL male is 70lbs and people typically guess he weighs 80-90lbs. You've got to put your hands on a dog to really critique the size and condition.

ndirishfan1975 12-18-2013 01:48 PM

My girl is about 60 pounds at 11 months. I think a lot of people over estimate the size and weight of their dogs....maybe its a complex

Sunflowers 12-18-2013 03:37 PM

:popcorn:

sarah1366 12-18-2013 03:48 PM

Gsds at one time was always weighing in as adults around 100 lbs and females slightly less it's only more recent years got whole lot smaller my female she's 2 and 28 inches at shoulder as big as my male and weighs Around 7 stone but she's slender big boned and long and tall I don't like little gsds not how there meant to be supposed be big powerfull beautifull but we'll muscled and fast
Not overweight so always nice see breeder breed a good sized gsd seen alot of changes over 30 odd years of owning them not all been good changes
Sent from Petguide.com Free App

dpc134 12-18-2013 03:51 PM

I see alot of fat dogs waddling around. My brother always brags about the weight of his dog, but he is clearly overweight. I think its the old "bigger is better" complex.

Harry and Lola 12-18-2013 04:08 PM

Yes I think you might be right, novices like size - they want big and I suspect some breeders are breeding for size because that is want the average pet owner wants. I have noticed size is being produced a lot. The Germans love them them thin and not tall.

belladonnalily 12-18-2013 04:32 PM

My pup is huge but I didn't set out looking for a huge dog. My trainers male GSD is 70lbs and looks perfect and big enough. My pup's dad is 90 and mom is 70. Both big by GSD standards, but Tuck is going to be bigger than both, somehow. At 2 days shy of 8 mo he weighed in at 104.6. Not even slightly overweight. I'm praying he's an early bloomer and very close to being done, but I doubt it.

My next GSD will be smaller. I worry about Tucker and am taking every precaution in the book, but I don't mind his size for me. Its him I'm worried about. It does make me wonder...he was the last litter for the bitch...a litter of 2.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App