Genetic Trackers? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2013, 01:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Genetic Trackers?

If you were looking for a puppy with lots of potential for detection work, as well as protection, what dogs that are producing right now would you go to?

I've read the old threads on bloodlines that bring nice tracking and hunt drives, but I'm interested in hearing what dogs really stand out right now with these qualities, and what they're producing.
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2013, 01:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Are you asking about specific breeders or bloodlines?

Harley
Black/Tan, neutered male
"American Pet Line"

Varick vom Haus Jeffery
Dark Sable, intact male
DDR/West German Show Line
HarleyTheGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2013, 02:03 AM   #3 (permalink)

I suppose I'm looking for both really, with an emphasis on currently producing studs or dams. I'm grateful for any advice, line or breeder recommendations any can give me. I'm usually a lurker/reader and not a poster, so sorry if I'm not clear enough.

This thread was very helpful to me in learning some lines that carry strong tracking ability: Bloodlines/Dogs known for tracking

So now I'm interested in what dogs are producing good strong noses at the moment, true to whatever lines they may be bred on. If there are any that stand out that is.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Yes . There are dogs being bred for this right now . Strong instinctive tracking . Here is a pedigree of Carmspack Nicholas certified detection dog - working every single day -- ready for SAR evaluation , Carmspack Stan is sire (brother is a dual police dog)

Nick's dam Chiba vom Parchimer Land

recently bred to Carmspack Claudia sister to bomb dog Silva, and two sisters who are narc and SAR Carmspack Claudia

I do not own these animals , they are in professional working hands , it is their litter bred for their need for strong tracking dogs -- I do the breeding plans , consultant , evaluation of pups. Also consultant for a law agency wanting a secure source of dogs with high hunt / search / tracking, so they have a little breeding program.

In another thread panties got in a twist because I put out pedigrees and provide information about my dogs. (where are the oldtimers) Why not , when as in those cases , whether it was "Buffy" or genetic obedience, or tracking , pedigrees and a record of the dogs were an important part of the answers/discussions .
I don't have anything to sell. I am providing pedigree information , which is what genetics is, so that the OP can dissect the pedigrees and find similar genetics -- or other people with a desire to learn can do so.
this link back to a previous thread has lots of good information.
Bloodlines/Dogs known for tracking
Tracking by and large is neglected . This is not schutzhund tracking . These pups can be tracking fiends as early as they can run Kade as an example owned by the same person as Nicholas . Kade at 10 weeks of age was doing searches where he would not break off - totally bloody minded determined , elvations, unstable footing , object to be found had no meaning to him (so not a toy - just what happened to be available in the environment) , no food reward, tons of praise and connection feedback , no hesitation , would leap onto a 3 foot rubble pile with skids and yard waste like a lizard onto a wall . Fire-in the belly .
Saphire with her dog in tracking training can vouch for this.

The genetics are out there .

Carmspack

Last edited by carmspack; 12-13-2013 at 08:05 AM.
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2013, 08:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I've heard that Ernst vom Weinbergblick produced good genetic natural trackers.

Chaos v. Wildhaus, SchH2, OB3 (HOT) ~ Bismark v. Wildhaus, SchH1 (HOT) ~ Kougar v. Wolfstraum, CGC ~ soon to be titled... And now Oberon v. Wildhaus ~ the obnoxious puppy..
G-burg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2013, 08:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Ernst can track -- I like Hank better ,

revisit this thread on Dusty z udoli upy comments on Dusty z udoli upy

consensus for the genetics !!

that was a breeding in consideration --- may be changed up to
a sister to Saphire's GUS -- so includes Chiba Parchimer Land , and Journey's brother Sumo Carmspack Sumo

we'll see soon - but I really like this Dusty for many reasons -- did have talk with owner -- the dog is strong tracking for sure , plus has a good base of old herding genetics .

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2013, 09:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My little guy seems to have a very nice hunt drive. What dogs in his pedigree contribute to that?

Seger vom Sitz von der Hose

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2013, 09:39 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I've heard Escobar van Adelrik supposedly produced nice hunt drive..

Chaos v. Wildhaus, SchH2, OB3 (HOT) ~ Bismark v. Wildhaus, SchH1 (HOT) ~ Kougar v. Wolfstraum, CGC ~ soon to be titled... And now Oberon v. Wildhaus ~ the obnoxious puppy..
G-burg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2013, 09:54 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
My little guy seems to have a very nice hunt drive. What dogs in his pedigree contribute to that?
All of 'em

Seriously, my young dog (Q litter Sitz von der Hose - so your dog's older brother) has a lot more hunt drive and persistence for "that object" than my dog that had almost the same pedigree as Nike (mine was Jai x Chukkie). I don't know if it is all from Eros (Iron) though.
Uniballer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2013, 09:56 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniballer View Post
All of 'em

Seriously, my young dog (Q litter Sitz von der Hose - so your dog's older brother) has a lot more hunt drive and persistence for "that object" than my dog that had almost the same pedigree as Nike (mine was Jai x Chukkie). I don't know if it is all from Eros (Iron) though.
Those Nike/Eros pups sure are something I am loving his hunt drive. So much fun to watch.

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.