German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Bloodlines & Pedigrees (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/bloodlines-pedigrees/)
-   -   Adopting a littermate at 14 months - good idea? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/bloodlines-pedigrees/378745-adopting-littermate-14-months-good-idea.html)

Brindle 12-09-2013 01:36 PM

Adopting a littermate at 14 months - good idea?

I hope I am posting this question in the correct section! I got a message from my 14-month old female's breeder that her brother from the same litter was returned to them and available for adoption. My husband and I had plans to eventually add a male GSD to our home and this seems like the perfect opportunity to make that goal happen, but I wanted some experienced opinions from you folks before we commit. I've read a lot about the down side of getting sibling puppies at the same time, but I wonder if the situation would be any different since they were not raised together.

Gerda (our female) has been in training classes for obedience since we got her at 16 weeks old and scent work most recently. She is a great girl with the exception of some occasional teenage rebellion. I am happy with her temperament and her brother appears to have a similar temperament.

Initially I see two potential issues with adopting him:

1. He has not had much training - this doesn't bother me terribly as he is very food motivated and in the brief visit we had with him, he seems very eager to please. When he found I had dehydrated liver in my pocket he kept throwing the two behaviors he knew (sit and down) at me to get that liver! I also enjoy training with my dogs.

2. He is intact and so is my Gerda. He did try to mount her during our visit to the breeder's to meet him. I'm not sure if it was sexual or a dominance thing. If we did adopt him we would have him neutered immediately.

We are planning to have him visit our house for the weekend to see how they get along on her turf. I'm trying to make an educated decision that is best for everyone, both dogs and people!

Here's a picture of the two dogs at their meeting:
http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/...ps6887ac39.jpg
He is on the left, she's on the right.

Thank you in advance for any advice on this situation!

stmcfred 12-09-2013 01:45 PM

I would :)

BellaLuna 12-09-2013 02:11 PM

They are both beautiful, you can always give it a try and see how things go. If you feel like your up to the task financially and mentally lol. I had two sibling pit bulls at one time it wasn't all that bad. Really was no different than having two dogs at once.

See where this weekend takes you and follow your gut only you know what what is right for you and your family, keep us posted with the outcome :)
Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

LaRen616 12-09-2013 02:13 PM

I say go for it! :wub:

They are both gorgeous, congrats!

You get to skip potty training and all the other annoying things that puppy's do. :)

Castlemaid 12-09-2013 02:21 PM

I think if you were planning on adding another dog anyways, and you like him and is a good fit in your household, the sibling thing won't matter. Male/Female combos usually work well and they were not raised together, so not overly bonded, , and you plan on spending a lot of one-on-one time with the new boy - seems like a great plan, good timing, and a perfect opportunity.

Shade 12-09-2013 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Castlemaid (Post 4642153)
I think if you were planning on adding another dog anyways, and you like him and is a good fit in your household, the sibling thing won't matter. Male/Female combos usually work well and they were not raised together, so not overly bonded, , and you plan on spending a lot of one-on-one time with the new boy - seems like a great plan, good timing, and a perfect opportunity.

:thumbup: Sums up what I was going to say quite well :)

My only concern is they are the exact same age so you will be most likely dealing with two seniors and their health issues :( But it's manageable and years away

Brindle 12-09-2013 03:27 PM

Thank you all for your input! I work with a bunch of dog lovers and they are all telling me to DO IT!!!! It's tough to not act with my heart and snatch him right up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shade (Post 4642369)
My only concern is they are the exact same age so you will be most likely dealing with two seniors and their health issues :( But it's manageable and years away

That bothers me as well, but I guess we can't predict the future. We've dealt with senior dogs and dogs with health issues (EPI and Megaesophagus) in the past so it's not foreign territory :(

I just hope the weekend visit goes well :D Wish us luck!!!

BellaLuna 12-09-2013 03:29 PM

Well good luck , keeping my fingers crossed ..

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

fredh 12-09-2013 03:56 PM

If you are sure that Gerda will accept the new Female, I would go for it! They are definitely Brother and Sister! The Parents must have been Gorgeous, cause the sure are!

Brindle 12-15-2013 09:32 PM

3 Attachment(s)
The visit went well, he's now a member of our family! They sure enjoyed playing in the snow, both are ball and frisbee fiends. Thanks to all for your help. :)