CKC? Would you bother wiht registering? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2013, 11:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default CKC? Would you bother wiht registering?

My dog's dam was from a notorious local BYB who should have been shut down long ago, but that is a story for another time. For some reason she has been "disallowed" from registering any litters with AKC so she deals with the CKC. I can only imagine ...

His sire was from another city and supposedly a reputable breeder. His parents are both owned by the same man. His litter was brought to my shelter for assistance in placing when the owner of the litter fell sick and needed help. He provided us with the CKC registration papers for the litter, but I never bothered to register him since he was neutered. Now I find I am curious about his ancestors. Does anyone know anything about the CKC? Is it worth the money to register or are they a joke? Do they provide a pedigree?
TAR HEEL MOM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2013, 12:25 AM   #2 (permalink)

The Continental Kennel Club is basically a BYB/puppy mill registry. I wouldn't bother with it. If you decide you want to do stuff like obedience, rally, or agility, you can get a PAL, and compete in AKC events Purebred Alternative Listing/Indefinite Listing Privilege, and/or a Limited Privilege Listing, and compete in UKC events United Kennel Club: NOTICE Sole Signatory Registration.
LeoRose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2013, 12:28 AM   #3 (permalink)

I don't think I would ever have the time to do any of that stuff, although I know it would be worthwhile and fun.

I just wanted to see who his grandparents were and where they were from. I might pay the $25 just to get a pedigree and see.

Thanks for the input. That is pretty much what I expected knowing what I know about the BYB here in my county.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

I think for 25 dollars, it is worth it to satisfy your curiosity. Just be aware that the pedigree of the dam might be fake, random famous dogs included to make it look good and impressive to a newbie - but obviously made up.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2013, 01:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

I wouldn't bother with a CKC registry because:

(a) I don't want to give money to an organization that essentially exists to legitimize puppy mills;

(b) as far as I know, they don't have any sports or trials, so registering my dog with that organization wouldn't help me actually do anything, whereas if I pay that same $25 to register my dog with a sport organization then I can do stuff and have fun;

(c) it's not a "real" breed registry so registering my dog doesn't help with breeding it or registering the progeny (plus I probably wouldn't want to breed such a dog anyway).

Curiosity is a legitimate factor, but speaking only for myself and only in the hypothetical, I would rather not give $25 to an unethical organization (and in my opinion the CKC is an unethical org) for a very probably fake pedigree when I could just make up my own fake pedigree for fun.

But I can certainly understand why you might decide differently, since curiosity IS an incredibly compelling force!
Old 09-12-2013, 07:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAR HEEL MOM View Post
My dog's dam was from a notorious local BYB who should have been shut down long ago, but that is a story for another time. For some reason she has been "disallowed" from registering any litters with AKC so she deals with the CKC. I can only imagine ...
It could be the dog's dam was registered with AKC before the breeder was banned from registering with AKC??? What's the dog's registered name?
Old 09-12-2013, 08:08 AM   #7 (permalink)

I doubt it but his parents were "Angel Lady- Grovers Angel" and "Maxillian-Grover's Max"

I did it on line last night..just couldn't help myself. 'm really curious to see hw far back the mother's side comes from the BYB. And if the father's side is all from down east instead of from around here like the owner said. The owner of the litter was a really nice guy who had been involved with shepherds for years. Supposedly his male is a really good dog with a nice lineage. He basically "rescued" the mother from this BYB after he went to look for a pup and saw the deplorable conditions.

You're probably right merciel about giving them 25, but curiosity killed the GSD mom And as I mentioned, I sure have no plans to let him father any babies. He was neutered at 8 weeks
Old 09-12-2013, 10:34 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Can you PM the breeder's name and location? Just curious if it's anyone I know or heard of.
mehpenn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2013, 11:07 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAR HEEL MOM View Post
I doubt it but his parents were "Angel Lady- Grovers Angel" and "Maxillian-Grover's Max"
There is no GSD in the AKC database with the name "Angel Lady-Grovers Angel".
LeoRose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2013, 04:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

I would say that the BYB was already banned from AKC by the time that Angel was born, hence the CKC registration. The breeder of the litter was William Grover and he lives here in Burnsville. Like I said he never intended to have the litter. In fact he had scheduled his Angel to be spayed through our program and it snowed and he couldn't get her here. The pups were born outside under his porch and he didn't even see them until they were 6 weeks old. His male and female took care of htem. So my baby is truly a "wild dog."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.