Eastern European Shepherd - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2013, 09:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Eastern European Shepherd

I had been doing some reading and I heard about an Eastern European variant of the German Shepherd. From what I remember the Russians imported a few German Shepherd Dogs in the 1930s and then crossbreeding with various husky types for better adaptability to the harsh Russian winters.

It's not currently recognized by the AKC or the FCI from what I saw. They were bred for Soviet military use originally like the Black Russian Terriers were.

I gather the GSD isn't quite as winter tolerant?
LoneRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2013, 11:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Look like a GSD but liver colored is ok and sables are not desired....
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2013, 11:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

From Linda Shaw's "the GSD family"

Byelorussian Ovcharka. An attempt to recreate the GSD in the Soviet Union. In the 1930′s GSDs were crossed with Central Asian Ovcharkas, Russian Laikas and other local breeds, and was recognized as a separate breed in 1964. It began as a KGB prison dog, which preferred black or near black dogs, although all other GSD colours, as well as white and brindle, are accepted. Blue eyes also exist. It is a giant breed, at least 28 inches at the withers, preferrably taller. While touted as superior to the GSD, it’s huge size is a liability in most working venues, and it has yet to prove its abilities against German working lines.
Czechoslovakian Wolfdog. An FCI recognized Czech breed developed from a cross between the European wolf and the GSD, supposedly to produce a larger, healthier, super-shepherd. While similar to some Czech line GSDs in appearance, this dog has yet to participate in high level sport, although some take part in obedience and IPO sport. It is a light wolf grey in colour, and shows a more confident temperament than the Sarloos. Science is revealing that the domestic dog has evolved the capability to recognize human gestures and intonations of voice, an ability not possessed by the wolf. Dog and wolf should not be crossed again, and existing crosses should be selected for the dog’s more stable temperament.

Carmspack
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2013, 11:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The EES was pretty much bred the way it is so they can handle the winter seasons in Russia better. My history teacher in high school was Russian and brought his EES over from Russia. He said they're just like GSDs but heavier coats and tolerate winters better than a standard GSD.

You're not likely going to find any EES here in the states unless owned directly by someone FROM Russia who brought them over with them. According to Mr. Koshevnikov that was the only way you were going to see them in the US or anywhere else outside of Russia. The Russians are very protective of their breed. If they're ever recognized by the AKC or FCI, it wouldn't be for a very very long time I'd think.

Mr. K brought his to class one day. Intimidating dog actually. He was a good dog, very well trained but nobody really had the guts to approach him. He was a VERY serious dog. Believe Mr. K said he was six or seven years old at the time.
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus 3/18/2013
Zena GSD 6/1/03
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
KZoppa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2013, 10:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

We discussed EES on this board before. Someone even translated a Russian article about the history of the breed. Here's the link if you are interested Russian Police K-9 Training...

Of note, if your GSD lives outdoors in Russia he will also develop a nice coat and will be just fine. I have somewhere a pic of a regular sable GSD from there, coat looks better then husky's, I'll post it if I find the pic.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:19 AM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to NormanF Send a message via Yahoo to NormanF Send a message via Skype™ to NormanF

Czechoslovakian Wolfdog. An FCI recognized Czech breed developed from a cross between the European wolf and the GSD, supposedly to produce a larger, healthier, super-shepherd. While similar to some Czech line GSDs in appearance, this dog has yet to participate in high level sport, although some take part in obedience and IPO sport. It is a light wolf grey in colour, and shows a more confident temperament than the Sarloos. Science is revealing that the domestic dog has evolved the capability to recognize human gestures and intonations of voice, an ability not possessed by the wolf. Dog and wolf should not be crossed again, and existing crosses should be selected for the dog’s more stable temperament.

The Czech Vlcak is essentially a GSD in wolf's clothing! A hardy and courageous dog, not surprising given its Czech GSD lines ancestry, which is dominant despite the Carpathian Wolf contribution. There is a US breeder for it but its still quite rare. If you're expecting it to be a domesticated wolf, you're in for a disappointment despite its wild look. Think of it as a super GSD. Its not for the first time dog owner.
NormanF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2013, 10:30 AM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to NormanF Send a message via Yahoo to NormanF Send a message via Skype™ to NormanF

Byelorussian Ovcharka. An attempt to recreate the GSD in the Soviet Union. In the 1930′s GSDs were crossed with Central Asian Ovcharkas, Russian Laikas and other local breeds, and was recognized as a separate breed in 1964. It began as a KGB prison dog, which preferred black or near black dogs, although all other GSD colours, as well as white and brindle, are accepted. Blue eyes also exist. It is a giant breed, at least 28 inches at the withers, preferrably taller. While touted as superior to the GSD, it’s huge size is a liability in most working venues, and it has yet to prove its abilities against German working lines.

The dog in the photo reminds me of my solid black GSD! The main issue with the Byelorussian Ovcharka isn't its beautiful appearance - is its size! Its just too big a dog for most people. The mainline GSD has the advantage because of its "Goldilocks" size - its neither too big nor too small and looks and feels "right." Bigness is not a virtue in most settings in which you want a dog! There is nothing to commend it (apart from size) over the GSD but for people looking into a King Shepherd or Shiloh Shepherd GSD-style dog, its a worthy alternative to consider.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:44 AM   #8 (permalink)

A classic black and tan saddle Eastern European Shepherd full face profile -

You get a beautiful and commanding dog! One used to have to go to Russia to import one but now there is a US breeder in Miami, FL:

http://www.russianshepherd.com/

Its not a dog for every one but it can be a pleasure to those wanting a super sized GSD!

Last edited by NormanF; 06-03-2013 at 10:48 AM.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:04 AM   #9 (permalink)

You're not likely going to find any EES here in the states unless owned directly by someone FROM Russia who brought them over with them. According to Mr. Koshevnikov that was the only way you were going to see them in the US or anywhere else outside of Russia. The Russians are very protective of their breed. If they're ever recognized by the AKC or FCI, it wouldn't be for a very very long time I'd think.

My friend, you're mistaken! There is an authorized US breeder for the EES in Miami FL. Its a rare breed though and if you're fortunate enough to acquire one of these beautiful dogs AND can live with having a giant-sized GSD - then you're blessed -

http://www.russianshepherd.com/

I can imagine well though a puppy will not be cheap!
Old 06-03-2013, 11:05 AM   #10 (permalink)

Just want to thank you all for posting this interesting topic. fun to read it.
andreaB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.