Anything I can do? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2013, 09:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Anything I can do?

So we got our baby from a family friend of my best friend. I've known her dog, who sired my girl, for years, and played with him multiple times. She gave us the runt of the litter, mainly because I fell in love with her, and gave us a **** good deal, charging us only a few hundred instead of the grand she was charging for the litter mates. We took Willa home when she was weaned, have had one small issue with her having a reaction to a drug and some worm issues, but otherwise she is healthy. We were told that, when her papers came, she would mail them to us, leading us to believe they were AKC.

Well, it was our first time purchasing and not rescuing, and my husband was supposed to "take care" of researching and making sure everything was on the up and up. In retrospect, I should have handled it! Just found out that Willa is, in fact, registered with the CKC, which, as I understand, amounts to nada.

So my question is....well, what now? We were hoping to train her for Schutzhund, and have taken her a few times. We will obviously continue her care throughout her life, and love her to bits not matter what. But is there anything we should be doing pre-emptively? Test for, keep an eye out for, etc.? She will NEVER be used for breeding, so passing a pedigree on is a non-issue, but we want to do what is best for her.

The hubby is in the dog-house tonight, as he assured me he researched and she was an AKC breeder.....more like he took her word for it.
lilLostduckie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2013, 09:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

Shouldn't matter. You can get a Schutzhund scorebook for a mixed breed dog. In fact it's easier if you aren't doing it via AKC registration, you don't have to get a certified pedigree and send in all those papers.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 11:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Schutzhund won't be an issue. If you want to do AKC performance you can neuter and get a PAL number. If she is CKC -- Canadian Kennel Club, that is actually a reputable registry and you can probably get an AKC number for her. But if it is Continental Kennel Club then you won't be able to.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Hepzibah
selzer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 12:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

You don't need a certified pedigree for a scorebook. That is only needed for show and survey or if you want to register the dog with USCA. For a dog not registered with a recognized registery (in the USA that is the AKC) it will be registered as a mix.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what the 2x4 is made of.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.