Can I have you opinion? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2013, 06:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Can I have you opinion?

I'm not exactly sure whether or not this is proper section I should posting this thread in but here it goes. I would like to know a question that I should of asked the owners of Zeus' parents which is whether or not Zeus' dad is purebred?

The obvious GSD up front is his mother Dixie which is registered AKC while Rudy, his father, is registered CKC:

Here is another picture of Rudy:

To me, Rudy can't be 100% German Shepherd. His coloring is strange and I've never seen a GSD with white nails before. What do you guys think Rudy is mixed with? Tomorrow I plan on calling the owners and asking them what other breed he has in him. I feel like an irresponsible pet owner now not knowing the answer to this question.
Zeus101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2013, 07:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The pictures didn't work for me...

And is he registered with Continental Kennel Club or Canadian Kennel Club? If it's Continental, then I'd be very suspicious. You can register just about any dog with them, purebred or not.... That's what a lot of puppy mills register their dogs with....
-Fastest 2012/2013 U-FLI Pomeranian

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
Konotashi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 07:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Light nails is a fault but certainly possible in our breed. I could not see the pictures either. GSDs come in a wide variety of colors and patterns.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 07:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

Sorry guys, let me re-post the pictures.

Quote:
And is he registered with Continental Kennel Club or Canadian Kennel Club? If it's Continental, then I'd be very suspicious. You can register just about any dog with them, purebred or not.... That's what a lot of puppy mills register their dogs with....
He's registered to Continental which also sparked an alarm for me. But luckily the mother is registered AKC.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It's possible he's purebred with a reverse mask.

Without seeing his entire body (his conformation) it's hard to say for sure, but aside from the colors, he looks like a GSD in the face.

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
Old 02-13-2013, 07:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

His coloring seems a bit washed out. He could be a mix, but there being so many lines and so many crosses of the lines, he just may be poorly bred, so not your typical GSD of any particular line.

The bottom line is that your puppy is not able to be registered. Which is totally fine. He doesn't care a lick. He will be a great pet. Love him. Papers are important for showing or for breeding, but not all that important to the dog.

Welcome to the site. Lots of good info here.
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
Old 02-13-2013, 08:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
His coloring seems a bit washed out. He could be a mix, but there being so many lines and so many crosses of the lines, he just may be poorly bred, so not your typical GSD of any particular line.

The bottom line is that your puppy is not able to be registered. Which is totally fine. He doesn't care a lick. He will be a great pet. Love him. Papers are important for showing or for breeding, but not all that important to the dog.

Welcome to the site. Lots of good info here.
I will find out from the owners tomorrow for sure. Zeus can be registered CKC though correct? Papers don't make the dog but Zeus is a wonderful dog and if he is able to be registered CKC I hope I can find someone who is willing to breed their dog with him.

By the way, I posted in the puppy section yesterday about getting a new puppy and we got her last night. She is ten weeks old and is from the second litter from Zeus' parents.

Like her daddy, she has 2 white nails on 3 of her paws. I have a concern with her though, being ten weeks and female, she's really small compared to Zeus when he was ten weeks and she probably weighs around 11lbs. She goes to the vet tomorrow for shots/deworming and also to get a check up to make sure she is healthy.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Why do you want to breed your dog?

For all you know, her dad could have come from a puppy mill. If you have to come on an online forum to ask if your puppy is purebred, then that would be a good indicator that your puppy isn't breeding quality.

Do you have the pedigrees of the parents?
Are they health tested at all?
Temperament tested?
Any kind of titles?

Everyone always says that they don't need to get a puppy from a breeder that gets their dogs titled because they just want a pet. Fact of the matter is, titles help prove that a dog is suitable for breeding by testing the working ability and temperament. German shepherds are a working breed and should have working titles before being bred.

CKC is renowned as the puppy mill registry. It's been given that reputation for a REASON.

Please don't breed your dog. Just enjoy her as a pet. There's no need for more German shepherds to become bite statistics or to flood the shelters. There's plenty of that already.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Welcome. Check out the breeding sites. No one here will encourage you to breed your dog or your bitch. I am sorry, but CKC (continental) is a junk registry. Papers do not make the dog, but without papers you cannot guaranty that what you have is in fact, a German Shepherd Dog.

You have a nice pet. And you bought another from the same parents, so you have to ensure these to are not bred one to the other. They will try the first time she is in heat, and that can happen as early as six months. Sometimes not until eight or ten months old. Please do not be one of those who say, "whoops, Zues got to our little girl and we are going to be grandparents."
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
Old 02-13-2013, 08:46 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konotashi View Post
Why do you want to breed your dog?

For all you know, her dad could have come from a puppy mill. If you have to come on an online forum to ask if your puppy is purebred, then that would be a good indicator that your puppy isn't breeding quality.

Do you have the pedigrees of the parents?
Are they health tested at all?
Temperament tested?
Any kind of titles?

Everyone always says that they don't need to get a puppy from a breeder that gets their dogs titled because they just want a pet. Fact of the matter is, titles help prove that a dog is suitable for breeding by testing the working ability and temperament. German shepherds are a working breed and should have working titles before being bred.

CKC is renowned as the puppy mill registry. It's been given that reputation for a REASON.

Please don't breed your dog. Just enjoy her as a pet. There's no need for more German shepherds to become bite statistics or to flood the shelters. There's plenty of that already.
Breeding Zeus is just and idea that I will more than likely never go through with. Also, I highly doubt that my dogs father was born in a puppy mill. Like I said, papers won't my dogs better pets and honestly I could care less if they have them. I believe my dog has excellent temperament as he behaves wonderfully around children/people/other animals and that's all that really matters to me. I just don't appreciate you being so blunt. I asked you for your opinion and I thank you for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.