Seeing Eye - GSD? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013, 11:03 AM   #11 (permalink)

He went to the seeing eye facility for an evaluation and when he was dropped from the program they neutered him. So i didn't have to deal with neutering him - bonus.

Thanks for the info. Working dog makes sense. He is probably just bred to be more social than most working dogs. My biggest job as a puppy raiser was to expose him to all sorts of people and places. I was supposed to make him feel comfortable in almost any situation - a lot of dogs fail this mission, LOL.
Rangers-mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2013, 11:13 AM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Seeing Eye - GSD?

Hello, from a fellow puppy raiser turned adopter. I adopted my now 9 yr old GSD from leader dogs for the blind. Unless you talk to someone directly in the program, you likely won't have any luck with lines. These organizations sometimes breed to outside sires, but usually they establish their own breeding and it continues for decades. So whatever lines they may have originated from may be nothing like the dogs are 40 years later.

To answer some of the other questions from people - yes they are breeding purebred GSDs but they have no use or interest in registering them with AKC. No it does not mean you can't raise another dog as a puppy raiser. I had two pet dogs when I raised mine. She was washed at 1 yr when they did mandatory hip rays. She has mild hip dysplasia in both hips.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 11:15 AM   #13 (permalink)

Congrats on your new puppy!! Older puppies that are dropped from the service dog programs (like the Seeing Eye or Canine Companions for Independence) make AWESOME pets!!

My friend raised Goldens for CCI. Her second one ended up with allergies and so was dumped and she adopted him. Didn't keep her from continuing to raise puppies for them.

How about posting some pictures??
Chimanes Spice it Up Piquin (Kaynya) - Chinese Crested
Nator von Triton HIC CGC (Mauser) - LC GSD
Piquins Some Like it Hot (Spike) Chinese Crested
Piquins Too Hot To Handle - (Fuego) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Wasabi (Sabi) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Super Hot (Clark) - Chinese Crested
Banzai, Cloe, Mocha - Felines Extraordinaire
Neke, Tessa, Remi, Sadie, Riggs, Sasha, Tazer - DK, Mozart, Zoe - Gone but not forgotten
Lauri & The Gang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 11:21 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers-mom View Post
Is he American, european? I don't even know what that means because i really know nothing about GSDs except that my GSD is a sweetie.
I would classify him as American bred but not American Show lines. Since the Seeing Eye has established their own breeding lines he really doesn't fit in the usually categories.

I'm guessing, without seeing a picture, that he's on the smaller side, very square and has a very straight and level topline.
Chimanes Spice it Up Piquin (Kaynya) - Chinese Crested
Nator von Triton HIC CGC (Mauser) - LC GSD
Piquins Some Like it Hot (Spike) Chinese Crested
Piquins Too Hot To Handle - (Fuego) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Wasabi (Sabi) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Super Hot (Clark) - Chinese Crested
Banzai, Cloe, Mocha - Felines Extraordinaire
Neke, Tessa, Remi, Sadie, Riggs, Sasha, Tazer - DK, Mozart, Zoe - Gone but not forgotten
Lauri & The Gang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 11:30 AM   #15 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

The standards are VERY high to make it thru the program so many dogs don't pass for many different reasons.

I did have my Elsa Rose from the Seeing Eye and they are GREAT dogs! They have a closed breeding program with their own breeders and a geneticist on staff. So while they DO go to responsible breeders when they have to add a new dog(s) to their program to add some fresh blood occasionally. Generally they use their own dogs so don't bother with the expense and paperwork to register with another organization like the AKC. They absolutely keep track of each and every dog with more health checks/x-rays than most regular breeders could ever afford though . So they'd have a pedigree for each and every dog though don't bother handing it out cause it would be meaningless to anyone except those in the Seeing Eye except for the dogs they take into the program from the outside.

They do NOT breed for anything but health and temperment so the dogs tend to be nice and straight backed, black and tan, and a bit on the smaller side of the standard so it's easier for the person they are guiding to fit dog/hander around in the world. I know right after I got my Elsa Rose they added a few GSD's from Europe that were from the German Showlines and actually (I believe) either Seiger winners or Champs or along those lines.

I always recommend these dogs for people looking for an older GSD. They are 100% honest with everything about the dog, know everything about it since birth, they've been socialized in families and if there is an issue will always take the dog back. So it's like a rescue but chances are you know WAY more about the dog, good and bad.

I got Elsa KNOWING she had mega-esophagus because they are so on top of the health of all their dogs (and clearly are working on getting health issues like this out of the lines). But I had their support even AFTER I took her so was confident about taking her and was blessed that I did
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS

Last edited by MaggieRoseLee; 02-01-2013 at 11:34 AM.
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 11:49 AM   #16 (permalink)

Ranger looks just like Elsa Rose, maybe they are related. Was Elsa Rose her Seeing Eye name or did you rename her? There was a Rambo in Ranger's litter. I am sure glad i didn't get him. I have discovered that people are afraid of german shepherds so i wouldn't want the added problem of a scary name.

We just adopted Ranger last week, but we have had him since he was 7 weeks old. When he wasn't "ours" i really wasn't that interested in learning much about GSDs. I guess it was my way of keeping my distance since we wouldn't be keeping him. Still i love the breed now. He is an amazingly sweet dog.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:53 AM   #17 (permalink)

Hi fellow puppy raiser! It was so much fun i must admit that i am torn between wanting him to have remained in the program and wanting to have him as part of our family forever. We have another dog (11 yo Australian Shepherd) so we will wait until we are down to one again before we raise another puppy. The Seeing Eye was wonderful though. They said we would be right up to the front of the list to raise another if we wanted. There is usually about an 8 month wait.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:55 AM   #18 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Elsa's real name was Alfreda (they name dogs after donators if asked and that's what I was told was the history of the name). Think Beauty was the mother and Stetson the father dog. You can see they just use very simple names generally. They tattoo their dogs in the ears too.

Elsa was VERY sweet and great for my first GSD. Are you going to do agility with Ranger? If you are still in the NJ area there are alot of great places to train. I love the Morris K9 Campus in Randolph, NJ for agility.

Morris K9 Campus

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 12:50 PM   #19 (permalink)

We puppy raisers often laugh at the names that seeing eye gives their dogs. For instance i have friends that just got Ophelia to raise. I feel very lucky that Ranger was named Ranger. It just seems like a good solid name even if it is unlikely that i would have named my dog Ranger.

Ranger has a tatoo in his ear but unfortunately you can hardly read his tatoo. I am thinking of getting him chipped as well. I had a card that had Ranger's parents listed on it, but i gave it back to the seeing eye when he went back for assessment. The names didn't mean anything to me anyway. I would love to do agility, but i don't think it would be a good match for Ranger since he is very tentative about things - the reason he failed. Of course maybe it would help him get over his fears? I live in PA right across the river from NJ about an hour and a half from morristown.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:50 PM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Seeing Eye - GSD?

So glad we got to name our puppies! They had guidelines about names of course in regards to no inappropriate names, the obvious things. But otherwise the puppy raisers got to pick the name.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.