4 of the original GSD studs were WOLF CROSSES? Do our dogs have wolf in them? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2013, 01:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
jae
Master Member

https://www.princeton.edu/genomics/k...er_Genetic.pdf
jae is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2013, 01:57 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

If you go back far enough, didn't all dogs come from wolves? lol

How the Dog Became the Dog: From Wolves to Our Best Friends: Mark Derr: 9781590207000: Amazon.com: Books How the Dog Became the Dog: From Wolves to Our Best Friends: Mark Derr: 9781590207000: Amazon.com: Books
Good_Karma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 02:57 PM   #13 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_Karma View Post

Yes, this is true.

If you can look up the February 2012 National Geographic, there is a graph analyzing the DNA of 85 breeds. They are broken down into 4 groups:
Wolflike
Herders
Hunters
Mastifflike

The GSD has some of the least wolflike DNA. The are considered, Mastiff-like. Their DNA is similar to the French Bulldog (maybe that's why I love this breed 2nd to GSD's!),
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 03:14 PM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag View Post
I read that the Czech Republic military tried to introduce this into their breeding program. If I remember correctly, they weren't happy with the results, and it was a short lived experiment.

Well, thank goodness for that!
Old 01-31-2013, 03:39 PM   #15 (permalink)

How the Dog Became the Dog: From Wolves to Our Best Friends by Mark Derr is an excellent book. Not so much about German Shepherds but about the origin of the dog.
Marnie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2013, 12:16 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag View Post
I read that the Czech Republic military tried to introduce this into their breeding program. If I remember correctly, they weren't happy with the results, and it was a short lived experiment.
Czechoslovakian wolfdog - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The breed still exists today. In Slovakia and Czech republic they commonly call both this breed and GSDs vlčák or vlčiak which stands for wolfdog, thus creating some confusion.
Its not common though. Most of the "vlčiaks" I have seen were in fact Czech (Czechoslovakian) style GSDs or GSD crosses.
Tom888 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2013, 12:46 AM   #17 (permalink)
Master Member

From what I've been able to gather, this seems to have been an obsessive rumor started by Tina Barber (founder of the Shiloh Shepherds), with absolutely no factual basis whatsoever. She claims to have had an original of Von Stephanitz' book in the English, before the second editions and beyond (conveniently, what most people own) "cleaned up" the mentions of wolf blood. I have a friend who does own a first edition and no such entry exists that she is able to find, at any rate.

There have been multiple edit wars on Wikipedia regarding this supposed "fact" about wolves in GSDs. I don't pay it any legitimacy.

Von Stephanitz certainly had no love for the idea of breeding wolves with dogs and I see no reason why on earth he would have attempted to do so at all.
Draugr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2014, 11:23 PM   #18 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to NormanF Send a message via Yahoo to NormanF Send a message via Skype™ to NormanF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom888 View Post
Czechoslovakian wolfdog - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The breed still exists today. In Slovakia and Czech republic they commonly call both this breed and GSDs vlčák or vlčiak which stands for wolfdog, thus creating some confusion.
Its not common though. Most of the "vlčiaks" I have seen were in fact Czech (Czechoslovakian) style GSDs or GSD crosses.

They breed true nowadays. The original ancestor was a male GSD sire mated with a Carpathian wolf bitch. Naturally, the puppies and later dogs took their coloration from the wolf bitch but they should never be confused with wolves. They are no longer a hybrid in the true sense of the word even if they resemble in appearance the ancestral wolf.
NormanF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2014, 01:13 AM   #19 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanF View Post
They breed true nowadays. The original ancestor was a male GSD sire mated with a Carpathian wolf bitch. Naturally, the puppies and later dogs took their coloration from the wolf bitch but they should never be confused with wolves. They are no longer a hybrid in the true sense of the word even if they resemble in appearance the ancestral wolf.
Sooo it acts like a dog or a Wolf? Your the Carpathian rescue guy correct?

I've never seen one in real life so just curious?
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2014, 08:49 PM   #20 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to NormanF Send a message via Yahoo to NormanF Send a message via Skype™ to NormanF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18 View Post
Sooo it acts like a dog or a Wolf? Your the Carpathian rescue guy correct?

I've never seen one in real life so just curious?

No. There is a poster on this forum who owns a CSV called Kavik. Do a search. In some respects its like a wolf and in other respects its like a GSD.

This is probably how the GSD breed would have ended up if the early beeding with wolves had continued!
NormanF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.