What type of GSD do I have? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2013, 02:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
Elite Member

All of you have got to be kidding me! If the dog has been cert. for hips and elbows, has been genetically tested for any genetic diseases and he is free and clear and healthy, and this person finds another GSD also cert. hips ect. then why should he not breed them? Im sick of everyone saying you need to have papers for your dog to breed him, that is such close minded thinking you all have me so angry! I would rather get a puppy from parents who are completely healthy and tested for that, rather than a puppy that has papers that are not tested!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2013, 02:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
"I like Daffy" Moderator

But you can have both -- a puppy from parents who are registered, titled, and with health certifications.

There are around 50,000 GSD's registered with AKC every year, and probably at least that many who are not registered.
Home of Ch Doll; U-CDx Jag CDX GN RE NAP NJP OA AXJ(ch ptd); and Ch. Fisher (Mr. Evil)
At the Bridge: Ch Kahla CD; Ch Keno UD HSAs OA; Ch Kizzy HSAs RE; Ch Tag CD RAE2; Ch Pharra; Bee PT; Ch Natty; Ch Red the Dachshund
Andaka is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 02:29 PM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandiah89 View Post
All of you have got to be kidding me! If the dog has been cert. for hips and elbows, has been genetically tested for any genetic diseases and he is free and clear and healthy, and this person finds another GSD also cert. hips ect. then why should he not breed them? Im sick of everyone saying you need to have papers for your dog to breed him, that is such close minded thinking you all have me so angry! I would rather get a puppy from parents who are completely healthy and tested for that, rather than a puppy that has papers that are not tested!
I didn't want to chime in on this thread but...

How would you be sure you're not breeding this dog to it's mother/sister/cousin/grandmother/aunt? How do you know he's not carrying a gene for bad hips (which the parents might've had or the siblings do have)? Just because a dog is clear of issues doesn't mean they don't carry a gene for those issues...and sorry genetic testing is not accurate enough at this point to rule out the hundreds of diseases that affect GSDs.

But mostly...how would you guarantee you're not breeding this dog back to an extremely close relative?

Dog without papers is also probably not trialed, or trained in anything. Probably isn't judged against his peers in his breed to make sure that dog is breed worthy. Why pass on sub-par genetics? Dog without papers probably only has the owner to gauge how great he/she is...someone extremely biased and basing their opinion on the dogs ability to be a PET and nothing more than that.

Tell you the truth...IF this dog was bred...it should pretty much be a complete outcross to make sure you're not breeding with close relatives. And then you're at risk of genetics not mixing well and getting some very questionable temperaments.

Last edited by martemchik; 01-31-2013 at 02:39 PM.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 02:37 PM   #14 (permalink)
Elite Member

With out a pedigree you have no way of knowing the percentage of bad hips behind the dog. You have no way of knowing what genetic faults may have shown up in litter mates. You have no way of knowing what the back masking looks like. Responsible breeders only breed dogs that they have a very good understanding of genetically and are able to pair breeding pairs with a high level of confidence in what the next generation is likely to be like. This breed is rife with genetic health and temperament issues. The way these issues are resolved is through intelligent breeding decisions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.