showline pet line difference? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2013, 07:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default showline pet line difference?

What detemines whether a dog is from American Show Lines or Pet Lines

Are there also German Show Line and Pet lines?

What about Working line and Working Pet lines?

Is it just a matter of titles in the pedigree?

Waiting at the Bridge
Eli GSD
Chopper APBT
Raphael GSD

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1007494

http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/gsd/...ee/610245.html
Debbieg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2013, 07:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

As I have heard the term used, it's not necessarily "pet lines" but basically in a litter of dogs who are bred "to the standard" (whichever one that would be), not all will go on to be "show quality" and thus are "pet quality".
That is, every line has the potential to produce dogs that are not able to be shown or worked for whatever reason, and become "pets" (that is, not show or working prospects).
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 07:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

To me a "pet line" does not have a distinguishable type both in looks and in pedigree (for several generations).
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 07:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Commenting on the term America pet line, IMO, it is a blending of any GSD lines with no pedigree. Though 'purebred' there is no proof.
Many of the breeders are just breeding their 'pets' with no goals other than $.
Structurally usually have the larger ears, smaller head and any color, possibly longer legged in structure. I have one I consider an Am pet line...she comes from WL, Am SL's from what I can gather from her parents 'look'.
Supposedly both parents had papers, but the breeder never came thru with the dams, and the sire's owner never produced his, due to a falling out with the breeder.

I'm an admin on a local GSD page, and I swear 90% of the dogs on that page are Am pet lines from the look of them. We have more than a few byb's in my area!

Agree with msvette2u, pets come from all lines, but shouldn't be called pet lines.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Lies, wouldn't that just basically be a BYB? Isn't the "goal" of a good breeder to breed to the standard? And if you were doing that, at least 1-2 of every litter should be a prospect anyway...?
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 08:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I have always understood the difference to be a showline (lets say American Showline, for the sake of argument) was breed with the purpose to produce puppies that could compete in that venue (AKC conformation). There will be puppies that are pet quality in any litter, no matter how purposeful the breeding or how well the parent dogs conform to the standard. Those pet quality puppies are considered pet quality American showline puppies.

The pet lines are purebred dogs, often registered with AKC (although sometimes not registered at all, or registered with a sham organization). For several generations there are dogs that were bred for no other reason than being purebred. No performance or competition titles. They may (or may not) have any health clearances. These are pets being bred to pets in order to produce more pets.

For what it is worth, there are WGSLs producing pets, too. The difference is that, in general, you don't have to go as far back in the pedigree to find a dog that is titled in something. Same with the working lines. As the sables become more and more popular, you see more and more pets from working lines that were produced for no other reason than to cash in on a color fad.

Pet quality pups can be from purpose bred, titled competition dogs. Pet line puppies are bred from other pet dogs, without any titles in any type of venue. Two different things. I often hear people say that American pet lines are based on American Showlines, in that if you go back far enough you will find dogs that competed in AKC events.
Sheilah
sit,stay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 08:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
Lies, wouldn't that just basically be a BYB? Isn't the "goal" of a good breeder to breed to the standard? And if you were doing that, at least 1-2 of every litter should be a prospect anyway...?
I don't know, what some people call a BYB I call a nice breeder and sometimes what I call a BYB someone else calls a nice breeder.

A pet dog that comes from a nice litter is not what I'd call a "pet line" dog. The pedigree is what tells you what line the dog is. To me a pet line dog has no distinguishable line/type on paper for several generations.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 08:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

pet lines are what happens when Sally meets David at the dog park and admire each others dogs -- and agree that the world needs to share their happiness . So arrangements are made to have the dogs "get together" .
Sometimes there is an inverse sense of the dogs being superior because there is no inbreeding (how do they know) and that because they are out of the loop they are less prone for breed problems .
There is no attempt at standards of any sort.

Carmspack

Last edited by carmspack; 01-27-2013 at 08:25 PM.
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 09:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

What prompted me in asking this question is in the breeding section someone posted the pedigree of a dog who has the same sire as Benny and some said they were mostly American Pet lines. I knew nothing about pedigrees when I got Benny and just saw both parents and interacted with both parents. I liked how they looked and behaved toward me. ( aloof but confident) The breeder had not titled them because she is too busy taking care of all her dogs ( retired breeding dogs) as well those she breeds. She lives and manages the place alone) Behind the parents all were titled.

She told me that Benny was a mix of working and show line. He is not leggy, has a big head. She never mentioned pet lines and it seems to have an inferior connotation.

Waiting at the Bridge
Eli GSD
Chopper APBT
Raphael GSD

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1007494

http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/gsd/...ee/610245.html
Debbieg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 10:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

Default showline pet line difference?

When I got my gsd from a breeder he gave me akc papers to register and his pedigree and said that he came from a working line. I didn't Care about where he came from all I care is that I get a healthy companion.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Raffilr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.