showline pet line difference? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2013, 10:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

A lot of people that comment on lines have pet knowledge of lines...so I wouldn't worry to much about that designation. Jmo
cliffson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2013, 11:23 PM   #12 (permalink)
"I like Daffy" Moderator

I was the one who made the comment about "pet lines" about the dam side of the pedigree in question. It bothered me that people where calling her an "American show line" dog with only one show dog in the pedigree.
Home of Ch Doll; U-CDx Jag CDX GN RE NAP NJP OA AXJ(ch ptd); and Ch. Fisher (Mr. Evil)
At the Bridge: Ch Kahla CD; Ch Keno UD HSAs OA; Ch Kizzy HSAs RE; Ch Tag CD RAE2; Ch Pharra; Bee PT; Ch Natty; Ch Red the Dachshund
Andaka is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 12:37 AM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Yeah...my opinion of "pet lines" is just dogs getting randomly thrown together. I believe most of them do have pedigrees and are akc registered (only way to know what lines they truly are). But its breeders that are taking advantage of whatever the popular color is at the time, or just believing they have two great dogs and they should be bred. Taking what is considered a "great pet" and making more of them.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 12:43 AM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbieg View Post
What prompted me in asking this question is in the breeding section someone posted the pedigree of a dog who has the same sire as Benny and some said they were mostly American Pet lines. I knew nothing about pedigrees when I got Benny and just saw both parents and interacted with both parents. I liked how they looked and behaved toward me. ( aloof but confident) The breeder had not titled them because she is too busy taking care of all her dogs ( retired breeding dogs) as well those she breeds. She lives and manages the place alone) Behind the parents all were titled.

She told me that Benny was a mix of working and show line. He is not leggy, has a big head. She never mentioned pet lines and it seems to have an inferior connotation.
I don't mean anything bad about your dog or your breeder...but the excuse she gave you is not one I would consider valid. Most show breeders are able to balance their older dogs and their young dogs that they are showing. If they can't handle the older ones, they usually rehome them. The large majority of "pet lines" have titled grandparents or great grandparents. It's how many people say "comes from champion lines" as long as there is a champion somewhere in the 3 or 5 generation pedigree...you can call them champion lines.

Just wanted to tell you that my boy comes from what most would consider pet lines as well...I didn't know any better back then. He's not any of the "conformation problems" that you mentioned either so its not like you can't get a good dog out of it, genetics is sometimes luck, and I'm guessing we both won this time around.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 05:16 AM   #15 (permalink)
Rua
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
pet lines are what happens when Sally meets David at the dog park and admire each others dogs -- and agree that the world needs to share their happiness . So arrangements are made to have the dogs "get together" .
Sometimes there is an inverse sense of the dogs being superior because there is no inbreeding (how do they know) and that because they are out of the loop they are less prone for breed problems .
There is no attempt at standards of any sort.
^^^THIS EXACTLY^^^

I know not every single puppy is going to be the "pick of the litter" when it comes to a properly done showline paring by a responsible breeder either. But when its done properly, most, if not all of those puppies will still be up to a much much higher standard than dogs that are coming from 'Sally and David'.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:41 AM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

There should be no such thing as pet lines,(my mother would smack me for the preceding words grammatically...haha), good pets can come out of any litter or breeding.....but it is irresponsible (oops) to breed "lines" of pet quality.
cliffson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 09:10 AM   #17 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I don't think there are "pet lines" probably a BYB special. Basically, if someone advertised as such, I'd be steering clear!

There are good dogs from good breeders suited to pet HOMES. Either don't quite have the conformation for showing, or maybe lower drives for WL's. I have one of these. She's WL, but had lower drives (ha!) than her littermates. I have no idea how the people with the higher drive puppies are doing it, she's a handful!
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 09:54 AM   #18 (permalink)

Call me thick for asking this but do all gsd skeletons look the same , just to me not all GSD do ,are legs bones shorter etc............ I know this question sounds stupid lol but is it ?
Safzola is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 03:23 PM   #19 (permalink)
Elite Member

I consider pet lines those with generations of puppy mill, neighbors sorta GS dog, cousins dog, no knowledge for generations, no health testings, no training, trialing, no concern for the standard or even awareness of the standard. The only criteria is erect ears and black and tan, Show lines are carefully bred with much attention paid to pedigrees, health testings done, shown to other GS fanciers, judges, some training and trialing and competing. The breeder can talk at length about the standard and deviations from it. I can tell at a glance usually if the animal is well bred with care and planning, and most people can with a bit of training, and effort
trudy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 04:10 PM   #20 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safzola View Post
Call me thick for asking this but do all gsd skeletons look the same , just to me not all GSD do ,are legs bones shorter etc............ I know this question sounds stupid lol but is it ?
There's wide variations in all breeds of dogs. There's conformation standards and when people don't follow those standards, that is, when they breed their dogs willy-nilly without regards to those standards, you get variations from those standards.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.