carmspack BUFFY - Badge on My Collar - breeding for wor - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 06:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default carmspack BUFFY - Badge on My Collar - breeding for wor

I did not know where to place this or what to call this thread . Easily I could have placed it in genetic obedience, breeding for work, herding - so Buffy it is because she is the subject of this discussion.

Yesterday was quite the day . I sent a dog that I was thrilled with to Orlando to meet with his new owner , a Veteran of Afghanistan who needed a Service dog . The dog was selected by myself against a set of requirements that I was very familiar with . The dog will be trained and certified by a person well qualified by experience and education, meeting stiff standards of the association he is certified by. By sheer co-incidence the recipient had been a K9 handler himself, and was familiar with "Gore" (Thor) and some other dogs that are in PSD use in Oregon, Washington State, Ohio etc. That the dog was related to the well loved Gore was a bonus. I was sad to see York go , but I am super happy that a persons life will improve .

So I come home , check my emails and my heart gets another tug. An email making contact letting me know of a female dog that I had lost all knowledge of , no contacts, no updates.
This female orginally went to another home -- one of Toronto's most prestigious very wealthy enclaves . They hired a k9 trainer/handler to be their personal trainer . That much I knew .
What I did not know is that somehow this dog entered "dogs available for work" and this is where the story begins .

In the email the person introduced himself and said he had this amazing female who recently retired from service -- and would I have anything related to her now or in the future .
Her sire was Carmspack LeRoy and her dam was Carmspack Anouscha.
WOW . here are some words on LeRoy
-------------------
Start off with this from another thread as a re-cap " love the Maineiche blood that I introduced into my program through Dix -- carmspack leroy - German Shepherd Dog
That male , LeRoy was trained off lead , highly highly biddable , normal conversational tone , praise - no clicker , treating bag of tricks, natural desire to work and to comply -- sweet teddy bear of a dog - everyone loved him -- great looks and conformation . No bad behaviour barking , spinning , digging. Mr Cool when not working.
Totally reliable and dependable. Would take him out to the mondio club and would heel him behind a circle of ring agitation , total self control -- it did not involve him or me and so he minded his own business . We did it off lead .
We did three man agitation with props and things flying , he never shirked going in there and knew which fire to put out first .
Seconds later he would be in the parking lot where my 3 year old granddaughter was playing with her baby friends, children of other club members. He would lick the sweaty chubby arms of the baby in the stroller. He adored children and tolerated nose tweaking.

God I miss that dog --- and Kilo --- same thing (but not Maineiche). The mission was to keep adding depth to old working herding lines which Maineiche conserved.

I do have a dog that is very similar -- Kilo looks , LeRoy character -- long coat bi colour -- will have to x ray him soon for his certification --
His sire Cubby was a narcotic dog working in the school system - same thing rock solid , great in the chaos of young kids being young kids -- representing MATHIAS the long coat bicolour with the pedigree of his brothe Stark who was a certified dual police service dog with Buffalo PD at just over one year of age Carmspack Stark - German Shepherd Dog"

--------- LeRoy's sister was Cinders a narcotic dog with Maricopa County Sheriff's dept. LeRoys brother was a police dog --

Buffy's brother Nash became a PSD .

so I find out that Buffy served in the Capitol Buildings of Washington DC --- bomb dog - renowned for her meticulous attention to detail. She was a "cover" girl , she is the subject in a book --- she was called the Canadian show girl but she is not show lines .

I do have another female working in the same calling -- bomb dog .
Presenting Carmspack Buffy -- featured in the book Badge on my Collar . I had that feeling of instant connection seeing her pictures in the book - -- lump in throad, eyes welling up (seriously) . Here is an excerpt from the book Badge on My Collar II: To Serve With Honor - Marilyn Jeffers Walton - Google Books

Carmspack

Last edited by carmspack; 01-16-2013 at 06:23 PM.
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 06:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

that should read breeding for work , not breeding for wor

Carmspack
Old 01-16-2013, 06:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I read some of the exert, WOW, bet you are one proud lady!

Cheers to Buffy!!!
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 06:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

If I can get "Sapphire" to post a picture that I have of Cubby - who shares the same sire as Buffy (Carmspack LeRoy) you will see the remarkable similarity -- expression ---
To see Buffy you need to open the link to the book

Carmspack
Old 01-16-2013, 06:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Congratulations, and you have every right to be proud. Buffy is a beautiful girl, thanks for sharing her story with us.
dixie-shep/lab 2/21/2013

baby-terrier mix (waiting at the bridge)
1sttimeforgsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 06:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

That is a fantastic story Carmen. What a dog.

It's the way most GSDs should be. They don't all need to be bomb dogs but we sure could use more with that temperament.
Jack's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 06:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Gee, now I am getting all misty-eyed, too.

There was one error in the article, however. They said she is not royalty.
Oh, but she is.
She is.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

what a great tribute to a GSD and the breeder that makes it all possible. Thank you Carmen for being true to your values, and providing us with outstanding dogs
Laurel
lsatov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 07:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I just got done reading the excerpt. Buffy is definitely a wonder dog. Congratulations to you for the dogs you have brought to the world who can do these jobs but still give kisses to little kids. I will have to buy the book.

Lucky- GSD Rescue 2/16/2002
Thunder from the East: adopted 1/25/2013
Miss Chevy Cruz - adopted 1/25/2013
Daisy&Lucky's Mom is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 07:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Congratulations.
Caledon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.