German Shepherds Forum banner

carmspack BUFFY - Badge on My Collar - breeding for wor

12K views 52 replies 26 participants last post by  gsdsar 
#1 · (Edited)
I did not know where to place this or what to call this thread . Easily I could have placed it in genetic obedience, breeding for work, herding - so Buffy it is because she is the subject of this discussion.

Yesterday was quite the day . I sent a dog that I was thrilled with to Orlando to meet with his new owner , a Veteran of Afghanistan who needed a Service dog . The dog was selected by myself against a set of requirements that I was very familiar with . The dog will be trained and certified by a person well qualified by experience and education, meeting stiff standards of the association he is certified by. By sheer co-incidence the recipient had been a K9 handler himself, and was familiar with "Gore" (Thor) and some other dogs that are in PSD use in Oregon, Washington State, Ohio etc. That the dog was related to the well loved Gore was a bonus. I was sad to see York go , but I am super happy that a persons life will improve .

So I come home , check my emails and my heart gets another tug. An email making contact letting me know of a female dog that I had lost all knowledge of , no contacts, no updates.
This female orginally went to another home -- one of Toronto's most prestigious very wealthy enclaves . They hired a k9 trainer/handler to be their personal trainer . That much I knew .
What I did not know is that somehow this dog entered "dogs available for work" and this is where the story begins .

In the email the person introduced himself and said he had this amazing female who recently retired from service -- and would I have anything related to her now or in the future .
Her sire was Carmspack LeRoy and her dam was Carmspack Anouscha.
WOW . here are some words on LeRoy
-------------------
Start off with this from another thread as a re-cap " love the Maineiche blood that I introduced into my program through Dix -- carmspack leroy - German Shepherd Dog
That male , LeRoy was trained off lead , highly highly biddable , normal conversational tone , praise - no clicker , treating bag of tricks, natural desire to work and to comply -- sweet teddy bear of a dog - everyone loved him -- great looks and conformation . No bad behaviour barking , spinning , digging. Mr Cool when not working.
Totally reliable and dependable. Would take him out to the mondio club and would heel him behind a circle of ring agitation , total self control -- it did not involve him or me and so he minded his own business . We did it off lead .
We did three man agitation with props and things flying , he never shirked going in there and knew which fire to put out first .
Seconds later he would be in the parking lot where my 3 year old granddaughter was playing with her baby friends, children of other club members. He would lick the sweaty chubby arms of the baby in the stroller. He adored children and tolerated nose tweaking.

God I miss that dog --- and Kilo --- same thing (but not Maineiche). The mission was to keep adding depth to old working herding lines which Maineiche conserved.

I do have a dog that is very similar -- Kilo looks , LeRoy character -- long coat bi colour -- will have to x ray him soon for his certification --
His sire Cubby was a narcotic dog working in the school system - same thing rock solid , great in the chaos of young kids being young kids -- representing MATHIAS the long coat bicolour with the pedigree of his brothe Stark who was a certified dual police service dog with Buffalo PD at just over one year of age Carmspack Stark - German Shepherd Dog"

--------- LeRoy's sister was Cinders a narcotic dog with Maricopa County Sheriff's dept. LeRoys brother was a police dog --

Buffy's brother Nash became a PSD .

so I find out that Buffy served in the Capitol Buildings of Washington DC --- bomb dog - renowned for her meticulous attention to detail. She was a "cover" girl , she is the subject in a book --- she was called the Canadian show girl but she is not show lines .

I do have another female working in the same calling -- bomb dog .
Presenting Carmspack Buffy -- featured in the book Badge on my Collar . I had that feeling of instant connection seeing her pictures in the book - -- lump in throad, eyes welling up (seriously) . Here is an excerpt from the book Badge on My Collar II: To Serve With Honor - Marilyn Jeffers Walton - Google Books

See less See more
#3 ·
I read some of the exert, WOW, bet you are one proud lady!:)

Cheers to Buffy!!!

#9 ·
I just got done reading the excerpt. Buffy is definitely a wonder dog. Congratulations to you for the dogs you have brought to the world who can do these jobs but still give kisses to little kids. I will have to buy the book.

#12 ·
Major Congrats! And people think reputable breeders do it for the money.

#13 ·
That's one special dog!! :). Congratulations :D

#17 ·
never mind the newspaper article - look at Cubby's face -- (son of LeRoy) (father of dual PD Stark Buffalo - Customs dogs etc) and then look at Buffy's face page 4 on the link of the book. I wish I could cut and paste them side by side !!! Clones - except one is masculine and one is feminine. There's that satisfied grin .

#20 ·
I think there is a perception that if you want an intense high quality working dog, you make sacrifices when it comes to temperment. I know I have certainly run into that perception..I am glad that dogs like this are around to disprove that assumption.
Carmen do you draw a direct correlation between the old herding lines and stability of temperment? Out of curiousity where do Czeck dogs originate from herding lines?
Not trying to get take the thread of track but trying to grasp some of the complexities of GSD bloodlines.

#22 ·
.... and then there was Dr Baker , one of Ontario's first bomb dogs . Pope John Paul was the first Pope to visit Canada , that was back in the early 1980's . "Baker" was chosen , to do the preliminary searches for all buildings and vehicles - deem them clear of explosives before the Pope entered.
The fallout if there had been an error would have been HUGE.
I have a picture of our newly appointed Governor General Jeanne Suave in her official residence with Dr Baker the dog, his handler and Her RCMP guard.
This same dog was responsible for the security of the USA President Reagan at Toronto's first G-8 Summit.

and then there was Keno , Purina Hall of Fame Toronto PD K9 ............. and ..........and...........and

they all share genetics -- the same blood courses through the veins of dogs of 2012 --

#24 ·
When these dogs have "it"...the total package they are a sight to behold when they work. My husband experienced it on the military side, now the federal side...these dogs are so important.

Carmen...hats off to you...your breeding program is squared away. It really does take a skill to get it right:)

#25 ·
Hello Everyone. First time poster here. I just wanted to tell you all that I am Buffy's owner/former Handler. Thank you all for the wonderful comments you have about her. Its nice to see your replies from people who can truly appreciate a good working dog/partner/friend.
J

#26 ·
Hello Everyone. First time poster here. I just wanted to tell you all that I am Buffy's owner/former Handler. Thank you all for the wonderful comments you have about her. Its nice to see your replies from people who can truly appreciate a good working dog/partner/friend.
J
Congratulations she is a beauty. Truly a grand dame. May you have many years of health, happiness and fun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.