German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Bloodlines & Pedigrees (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/bloodlines-pedigrees/)
-   -   Opinion on this line (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/bloodlines-pedigrees/199313-opinion-line.html)

jchilders04 01-07-2013 09:48 AM

Opinion on this line

Can I get some thoughts and insight on this pedigree? There seem to be some big names/well titled dogs in the pedigree, however I know nothing about the untitled parents. Doesn't this still leave room for temperament issues, etc? Or am I way off base?

Line-breeding for the progency of Oelmansdorfk Kingdom and Grace Xazzium

carmspack 01-07-2013 10:43 AM

The PEDIGREE IS WAY OFF BASE -- it can not be correct.

Jon Gjerpe - has shown me several pedigrees of animals that he was recommending to me . I don't recall DDR !

more important is that I OWN two animals, male Griswold Xazziam (so even the spelling is wrong) and Gem Xazziam -- born JUNE 4 2007 . Gris is the sire of several of my dogs including Silva a bomb detection dog.

The correct pedigree for G litter sire -- Chip Kirchberghof
Dam - Bora Heringsmoor

Zahnburg 01-07-2013 10:48 AM

Carmen

It is a Belgian dog. The names go by year not by litter.

wolfstraum 01-07-2013 11:14 AM

Yes - Jon did do some DDR litters - pups from DDR lines sell well.....he bought and sold so many dogs it was often hard to keep track....he would breed a female, sell the pups and then rebred her and sell her again....a typo putting it in the database? But I remember a conversation about the DDR/sales very distinctly...I believe he bought the female, the buyer backed out, so he whelped the litter, and then resold the female.....very ordinary way of him doing business

Lee

jchilders04 01-07-2013 11:28 AM

Very interesting replies so far, to say the least lol. I guess I should note that i'm looking for a working dog (schutzhund), that will live at home inside with another 2yr old GSD.

Guess I haven't really heard any positives or negatives, other than the pure confusion that seems to be surrounding this line/breeder.

gagsd 01-07-2013 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jchilders04 (Post 2692201)
Very interesting replies so far, to say the least lol. I guess I should note that i'm looking for a working dog (schutzhund), that will live at home inside with another 2yr old GSD.

Guess I haven't really heard any positives or negatives, other than the pure confusion that seems to be surrounding this line/breeder.

If I was looking for a dog with which to compete in schutzhund, this would probably not be a breeding I would pick.

Freestep 01-07-2013 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gagsd (Post 2692249)
If I was looking for a dog with which to compete in schutzhund, this would probably not be a breeding I would pick.

Why is that? I have an idea, but the OP probably needs an explanation.

To the OP: This is a heavy DDR pedigree. DDR is the former East Germany, where the dogs were bred behind the iron curtain and so had little influence from the rest of the world. So, the lines evolved as distinct to DDR.

DDR dogs are said to be more "civil", with natural suspicion but strong nerves. Defense drive tends to be higher than prey drive, which is why some DDR dogs aren't as flashy in sport work, but they can make excellent dogs for police work.

They also have a certain "look" to them, dark in pigment, with a more substantial body type and bigger heads.

Beyond that, I have never owned or trained a DDR dog so I'll let others make more in-depth observations on temperament and working ability.

jchilders04 01-07-2013 11:47 AM

Ya i've heard alot about their defense drive and natural suspicion over prey drive. Anyone else with insight?

wolfstraum 01-07-2013 11:48 AM

correct info on DDR lines.....they are not as high prey in general, not as flashy as WGR, not as easy to train....that being said, a mix of DDR and other European based WL often are very very nice dogs when all is balanced out!

My first female that I trained was mostly DDR....did a bunch of Sch3s with her because no one told me I couldn't....it was a real learning experience, and did a WGR male concurrently....so I know the difference! But the pups and grandpups from the DDR female - crossed on teh sire of my WGR male first generation - were terrific....and I like the mix of DDR with WGR and Belgian...

Would I want to try to title a dog 100% DDR background??? Not really - just not as much fun to train and not going to get what the judges want for competition...

Just my 2 cents worth...

Lee

gagsd 01-07-2013 11:51 AM

Purely my personal opinion.... I have met -some- dogs with many of the same names in their pedigrees and they were not good working prospects for schutzhund.