German Show Line that Works? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2013, 10:45 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I have also seen some ASL dogs who would shock you with how good they are at their work (one of our local k9 officers by my parents' is actually ASL).

This can be true -- I have had them , though that was a long time ago, and occassionally I see them . Linda Shaws male Corry could . He came from a background that I knew well and represented some solid stable temperaments. He was then bred to one of my females, sister to Carmspack Kilo and that produced her competition dog SchH3 "Timmy" Shawlein Fine Art & Purebred German Shepherd Dogs

however , the question is , when is the next time you will find that diamond in the coal dust? Bethany Anne got some GSD Reviews from the 70's and she can tell you that there was some genuine interest in working aptitude in the ASL community . Over years that deteriorated and so did the dogs ability.

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 11:18 PM   #12 (permalink)

Thank you all for your input. I think Heidi and I are on the same page with what I am looking for. I am going to our local Schutzhund club tomorrow for my first experience in training and working GSDs! They have WGSL and Working lines there so it should help my understanding. However, the debate over health and longevity still seems like more of an opinion than a fact to me, which a few of you alluded to. My bet is that Heidi's pups are going to be more than able, especially for a first time GSD owner. Thanks again for your input and if anyone has anything to add please do so as I will be checking back in soon.
jpgsds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 12:16 PM   #13 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I have personally put my hands on several of Heidi's dogs, from young puppies to senior citizens. I have seen them training, and laying around the house. Her puppies are everything you would expect a healthy, happy puppy to be and her seniors are active and engaged dogs who enjoy being a part of whatever is going on.

She knows the breed. She knows her dogs. She knows training. You just can't go wrong with her.
Sheilah
sit,stay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 08:45 PM   #14 (permalink)

Very cool experience today at a working/training GSD club. I was able to see WGSLs, Working lines, high drive, low drive, hyper drive, finished dogs, pups, males, females... everything. For anyone that is trying to figure out all the variables before getting your first GSD I highly suggest going to see these dogs in action. A couple of weeks ago I was actually offended when a working line (serious, serious working very high drive line) breeder told me that her dogs were not right for me... That these pups needed an experienced handler. Now I see that she was doing me a favor and that she was in fact absolutely right. I have read tons of information and nothing helped as much as going to see the dogs in person. I would go as far as to suggest it is irresponsible to buy your first GSD without going to see the different temperaments work in person. Now I am more confident than ever in Theishof for my first GSD and cannot wait to begin the training! Thank you to all of you that patiently answered my questions and have helped me get to this point. I am sure in the spring the training questions will begin! Thanks again
jpgsds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 10:09 PM   #15 (permalink)

My puppy has been born!

https://www.facebook.com/TheishofGer...ref=ts&fref=ts

vom Theishof's Upcoming Litters
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.