Opinions? Experience? - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2013, 02:59 PM   #21 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Why dis UKC? It is a legitimate organization and people do put work into their dogs to title/show. They try to show the total dog, workability as well.
AKC isn't the be all end all in the dog world.
Taken from the UKC site: http://www.ukcdogs.com/Web.nsf/WebPages/AboutUKC
Established in 1898, the United Kennel Club is the largest all-breed performance-dog registry in the world, registering dogs from all 50 states and 25 foreign countries. More than 60 percent of its 15,000 annually licensed events are tests of hunting ability, training and instinct. UKC prides itself on its family-oriented, friendly, educational events. The UKC has supported the "Total Dog" philosophy through its events and programs for over a century. As a departure from registries that place emphasis on a dog’s looks, UKC events are designed for dogs that look and perform equally well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 03:09 PM   #22 (permalink)

As far as getting a rescue to learn with, I've already got one rescue. She's not registered and I'm wanting something registered with lines behind it that way I know to an extent what to deal with and pretty much what to expect. So, I wouldn't consider another rescue. Also, if I wanted a puppy and to deal with the puppy issues then I would have gotten the solid black DDR line pup that I previously asked about. The breeder hasn't been breeding for too long, and they are the closest breeder that at least even does any type of work period with their dogs and even health test them in the least. In my own opinion this is going to be a pretty good place to start out with, without me having to drive over two hours one way. I don't want something that will only be good for one thing. If this girl turns out to only be a pretty conformation show dog and couldn't do obedience and possibly other venues then I won't even consider co-owning because it isn't something that I would be interested in. As far as learning about the breed, like I said. I've got my rescue girl, Sheba. She was my first dog that was actually my sole responsibility. Growing up, my parents had a few unpapered GSD's that we worked around the farm. I have a pretty good base knowledge of the breed. What I'm looking to gain experience from is showing. I did contact one other breeder in the state and they didn't want to part with any of their adult dogs and wanted me to pay $1,500 for a working line puppy out of parents that weren't health tested AT ALL and they didn't even train their dogs. There are MUCH worse choices for me to have gone with and much more expensive choices for me to go with. For me to just get my feet wet in the show world, I don't want to start out with something that has so much drive that I would have to have a behaviorist come into my home to work with the dog and have a special trainer. I want something easy going enough that I can work with myself and something that is already out of the adolescent puppy stage. That is just my personal preferences and I did not post this thread for people to be telling me what I should do and what I shouldn't do. I asked for people's opinions or personal experiences with these particular lines or similar crosses and what they were like. If you can't offer any valid information as to what I asked for, why would you come on to a thread and completely turn it in a different direction talking about how good of a breeder someone is? I didn't ask for people's opinions on the breeder. I already know the breeder and realize they aren't the best breeders out there. I don't expect to find that here.

It just gets rather annoying when the same people comment unrelated comments on every thread that I post asking for opinions on the lines of certain dogs. It's really beginning to turn me off to posting anything at all on this board anymore. I'm not saying I won't post things again, because I probably will. I just don't want unrelated posts being posted on my thread. If it isn't contributing to my knowledge of what I asked about specifically, it doesn't belong here.
bethany.cole2013 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 03:37 PM   #23 (permalink)
Elite Member

The original purpose of this thread was input into the pedigree of the dog under consideration. I agree with the op that the other points raised are not relevant to the question. I tried to give some input in to the actual pedigree in my first response. Going back to this original question. I think that caution and careful evaluation should be made in taking on a show/working line cross. The drive that the bottom line brings in needs to be supported by solid nerve in the top line. I do not know anything about the show lines in the top of the pedigree. I can say, however that I have seen some of these type crosses yield very nervy dogs. Other people use these crosses very successfully because they know the lines well and the breedings are very carefully thought out.
robk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 03:45 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
The original purpose of this thread was input into the pedigree of the dog under consideration. I agree with the op that the other points raised are not relevant to the question. I tried to give some input in to the actual pedigree in my first response. Going back to this original question. I think that caution and careful evaluation should be made in taking on a show/working line cross. The drive that the bottom line brings in needs to be supported by solid nerve in the top line. I do not know anything about the show lines in the top of the pedigree. I can say, however that I have seen some of these type crosses yield very nervy dogs. Other people use these crosses very successfully because they know the lines well and the breedings are very carefully thought out.

Thank you very much for your relevant information. This will be taken into consideration. However, I've been watching some videos of half siblings from both the sire and the dam and I've liked what I've seen so far. Nothing's set in stone as of yet and I'm waiting until I meet her tomorrow to make my final decision.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:50 PM   #25 (permalink)
Crowned Member

If nothing else, you'll learn. And a dog with 'issues' really teaches the handler compared to a dog that is an easy keeper.
If this puppy doesn't turn out to be breed worthy, there is nothing lost other than time...and you'll know soon enough if the dog is temperamentally, physically sound to stay in their program.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:14 PM   #26 (permalink)

I am not "up" on the lines (tho I've heard of them) but will say this..I have co owned a couple of dogs (one being my aussie)..I paid full price but the breeder wanted her name on the papers as well..I had no problem with it, as I have an ironclad contract that basically is 'her name is on the registration only',,everything else is my doing, responsibility, and my choice..

Co owns can be a good thing, or can be a nightmare. If you do this (and I think she's a lovely girl make sure you get what YOU want in writing.

I would also, pay for all entry fees if it meant the co owner was on the reg in 'name only'.. but that's up to you.

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 04:47 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA View Post
I am not "up" on the lines (tho I've heard of them) but will say this..I have co owned a couple of dogs (one being my aussie)..I paid full price but the breeder wanted her name on the papers as well..I had no problem with it, as I have an ironclad contract that basically is 'her name is on the registration only',,everything else is my doing, responsibility, and my choice..

Co owns can be a good thing, or can be a nightmare. If you do this (and I think she's a lovely girl make sure you get what YOU want in writing.

I would also, pay for all entry fees if it meant the co owner was on the reg in 'name only'.. but that's up to you.
Thank you for the advice. I will make sure to thoroughly read through the contract before I sign anything. If I don't totally 100% agree with what's in it, I'll ask for it to be re-written before I sign anything.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:07 PM   #28 (permalink)

So, I absolutely fell in love with Ranie today when I spent some time with her. I actually spent the majority of the afternoon with Katie (the breeder) and Ranie. Ranie is so sweet and so laid back with awesome house manners and has great basic obedience. But, at the same time she has some crazy ball drive and loves to play tug. I'm amazed at the off switch that she has. She can go from crazy ball driven girl running around and very active to this awesome, laid back great house dog. We also discussed in great detail the co-ownership contract. I am, of course, responsible for paying for her food, providing her with shelter, any kind of basic care expenses, and we will both share the expense of getting her hips/elbows OFA certified. Ranie will actually be turning two years old on the 17th of this month, so we will be working on getting her hips/elbows certified. She already has had her DM test which came back clear, I got to see her SV paperwork and the paperwork where she was exported from Hungary. I was also given her AKC paperwork today with it completed by Katie and I'll be listed as the co-owner on her AKC papers. I'll be taking some pictures of her tomorrow and posting them on a separate thread about her. She did have an accident a while back with her ear where the very tip of it was ripped off. Katie said that she was in a yard by herself for a while and when she checked on her the tip was gone. It doesn't affect her beauty any at all and I still love her regardless. Just wanted to let you guys know that all went extremely well and I'm completely satisfied.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:20 PM   #29 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Look forward to the new thread about her!
Old 01-06-2013, 08:22 PM   #30 (permalink)
Banned

I'm so happy and excited for you
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.