DDR/Czech West line Mixes? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2012, 02:54 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Where do I think the lack of nerve came from? HaHa ...I don't know now cause I recently learned that seeing a dog in person trumps bloodlines....,
Seriously though, look at it this way....suppose you have a litter with 8pups and 6 are lacking in nerve strength, but two are solid in nerves. Now suppose someone comes by and sees one of the two solid dogs and decides to breed to them because what they see is solid. So the litter comes and half the litter has nerve issues even though both parents showed an outward expression of good nerves. Did the parent that was from a litter of majority weak nerves throw what they were or what they were made up of, or both? I know what I think, but curious what others think. I so confused these days.
cliffson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2012, 03:22 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

This is a dog I once knew, I was told that he was bred in Czech, but of German show lines. I don't know Czech pedigrees well enough to know whether this would be considered a showline pedigree or a showline/Czech mix.

Zasko z Gentu

Zasko was a bit of a hot-head, I was told that much of it was due to the type of training he'd gotten before he came to the US. He wasn't stupidly aggressive, but he was a dog I wouldn't have wanted to mess with--serious and civil.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 05:41 PM   #13 (permalink)

All I mean by the appearance is the black and red. I love it I don't like the show lines who have no schutzhund abilities, but there are a lot of lines that excel in sieger as well as work, though I agree not typically as well as a strict working line. I think that a dog with a very strong working instinct (for a sieger line), who also has great conformation, bred to a nicely built DDR or larger czech would make an excellent dog, but I suppose it depends.
xsaysayx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 05:56 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master Member

I agree there is potential for them to look good.

The concern is that the phenotype on a Czech/DDR dog is quite different than an average sieger type west German showline.

Blending the two has a potential for some good from both sides. But sometimes adding the two together can just create a mish mash of bizarre looking dogs. It all depends on how the breeding is done, the bloodlines, the phenotypes of the dogs etc. So so so much goes into it (and this is only talking about the visual aspects).

That being said, are you saying you like the saddle back look? Or just the vibrant colors? I have seen plenty, and own some working line Czech/DDR/WGWL dogs that have some fantastic pigment and very deep reds to their coats.

I assume you probably like the dark mask, black muzzle, saddle back with red instead of tan coloration like this.

** Huge oversize photo removed. Please no photos over 800X600. Thank you. ADMIN**

This is that same showline male with one of my Czech/DDR/WGWL males. the photo was enhanced with instagram to make them pop more, but you can see that the sable males legs are the same hue of red as the showline males.

But anyways, like everyone else says. It really really depends
"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older and more complete than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear."
4TheDawgies is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 05:58 PM   #15 (permalink)

I am getting a puppy from a WGSL / DDR cross this coming summer... (both dogs have good temperaments and good looks/conformation on their own)
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 07:14 PM   #16 (permalink)
"I like Daffy" Moderator

My young dog is 3/4 ASL and 1/4 DDR. He is a beautiful dog with lots of drive and a gret temperament.

Deestraum-Andaka's Jagged Edge

Home of Ch Natty; Ch Doll; U-CD Jag CDX GN RE NAP NJP (ch ptd); Sara RN (ch ptd); and Ch. Fisher (Mr. Evil)
At the Bridge: Ch Kahla CD; Ch Keno UD HSAs OA; Ch Kizzy HSAs RE; Ch Tag CD RAE2; Ch Pharra; Bee PT; Ch Red the Dachshund
Andaka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 07:25 PM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My dog Aiden is a WGSL/WGWL cross. Some people who have seen him in Schutzhund think he's weak nerved, but I also think that his foundation in training started all wrong..Too much defense too early has given us our issues. He is also handler sensitive. Other than that I think he's an absolutely amazing dog everywhere that we go, and handsome too.

stack2 by Gator_Dog, on Flickr

_MG_0825 by Gator_Dog, on Flickr
Tulah v Maringaland- puppy in training!
GatorDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 08:06 PM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
I am getting a puppy from a WGSL / DDR cross this coming summer... (both dogs have good temperaments and good looks/conformation on their own)
Quite possibly me too. I'm guessing maybe even the same litter.
Lucy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 08:11 PM   #19 (permalink)

Really are you getting one from Lindsay? My dog is the sire, so I'm getting a puppy to see how he turns out
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 08:18 PM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
Really are you getting one from Lindsay? My dog is the sire, so I'm getting a puppy to see how he turns out
Maybe I guessed wrong then.

Robin's doing a cross that I've been very interested in for a while now. I think she's mentioned it a couple times on here... maybe not. Her DDR dog, Izzy, and one of her sl's, Uzo. I've got a few litters narrowed down and this cross is very high on my list.

So you decided to breed Nikon? I'm sure he's going to a produce some great puppies. Who's the dam going to be?
Lucy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.