Berlin's Parents - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2012, 06:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Berlin's Parents

V Ultri vom Köriser See
The dam, Ultri

V Tony von der Burg Haidstein
The sire, Tony

Just wondering what everyone thinks? I have zero idea how to read a pedigree. I wonder who Berlin will look like!
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2012, 08:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I'm not very well versed on lines, but I have heard of Zamp Von Thermodos. I believe he was Tony's sire. Zamp is a very nice dog!

It's funny both of Berlin's parents are stock coats? That was the same with my Bear, both his parents were stock coats.

I'll leave the expert opinions to those more knowledgeable.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdlover91 View Post
V Ultri vom Köriser See
The dam, Ultri

V Tony von der Burg Haidstein
The sire, Tony

Just wondering what everyone thinks? I have zero idea how to read a pedigree. I wonder who Berlin will look like!
It doesn't matter because they are both very nice looking dogs
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 04:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Zamp is very nice! And yes, he is Tony's sire. The breeder had a link to a page with information on him. Such a beauty!

Yep, the breeder has only stock coats. But many of her dogs, I believe, carry the recessive gene for LC. Thats good though, because it means they aren't breeding specifically for longcoats, they just happen to pop up every so often.

Haha I swear, Berlin and Bear are twins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear GSD View Post
I'm not very well versed on lines, but I have heard of Zamp Von Thermodos. I believe he was Tony's sire. Zamp is a very nice dog!

It's funny both of Berlin's parents are stock coats? That was the same with my Bear, both his parents were stock coats.

I'll leave the expert opinions to those more knowledgeable.
Old 12-22-2012, 04:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
It doesn't matter because they are both very nice looking dogs
Yes they are! I'm happy my little guy has such beautiful parents. They both have such a deep red coloring, I love it!
Old 03-02-2013, 01:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Okay, pedigree people, help me out!

Valco Berlin vom Hokschhaus

Berlin's Pedigree^

His grand sire (?) Zamp, died today three years ago, unknown why he died. Ive read some speculations of cancer and heart disease? Anyways, 8 years old is YOUNG, and ive been freaking out worrying if something like cancer or heart disease can be passed on through generations? I know Berlin is two generations younger, so the chances are surely reduced...But what do you think? Zamp passed a lot of traits down into his progeny and Tony passed those right on to Berlin....so I know Berlin has alot of Zamp's traits! Any input..?

Also - people who can read a pedigree good, what is good in his pedigree, I know Zamp and Quantum and Ursus...but what else.? What types of traits are in the dogs in this pedigree? All I can tell from looking at a pedigree is how good the dogs look, and what titles they have. So i cant read too much into it.

Last edited by gsdlover91; 03-02-2013 at 01:02 PM.
gsdlover91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2013, 01:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Not helping but our dogs are sort of related, lol... He has quantum in his pedigree too. Zephyr's flying Ollie vom Grunenfeld

I know these things are partially related to genetics but how you care for him now also can have a positive effect... Let me look up an interesting thread for you...

Totally buying this book and I've already been practicing a lot of what he's been saying, Pukka's Promise

Last edited by Carriesue; 03-02-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Carriesue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2013, 01:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Many WGSL dogs carry the LC recessive. This is why out of most WGSL breedings, you will have a few LC popping up even with stock coated parents.

Zamp was an excellent producer and prolific producer in his time. More on Zamp:THE LEGEND - ZAMP
Dam is a Quenn daughter - Quenn is also an excellent producer and lovely dog. 10 years old now and in excellent health - so don't focus on one dog in the pedigree and worry as you have other dogs in the lineage that are known for longevity.

If I were you, I would contact Michelle as she owns/owned the sire and dam. She will be able to tell you individual traits she has noticed and why she conducted this particular breeding. I believe Robin and Carlos also know the sire and perhaps the dam so they can give you further first hand insight.

I wouldn't worry needlessly at this point about cancer or heart disease. You already have the pup - lots of dogs die of these type of issues in older age - unless you know for sure the cause of the dog's death AND that he specifically passed it onto progeny (because it is one thing to be afflicted with a condition - it is entirely different thing to pass it on reliably to progeny), there is no reason to worry excessively about a grandsire.
qbchottu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2013, 01:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carriesue View Post
Not helping but our dogs are sort of related, lol... He has quantum in his pedigree too.
Cool! So that makes them like cousins or something? Right? Thanks, Ill check that book out, looks interesting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbchottu View Post
Many WGSL dogs carry the LC recessive. This is why out of most WGSL breedings, you will have a few LC popping up even with stock coated parents.

Zamp was an excellent producer and prolific producer in his time. More on Zamp:THE LEGEND - ZAMP
Dam is a Quenn daughter - Quenn is also an excellent producer and lovely dog. 10 years old now and in excellent health - so don't focus on one dog in the pedigree and worry as you have other dogs in the lineage that are known for longevity.

If I were you, I would contact Michelle as she owns/owned the sire and dam. She will be able to tell you individual traits she has noticed and why she conducted this particular breeding. I believe Robin and Carlos also know the sire and perhaps the dam so they can give you further first hand insight.

I wouldn't worry needlessly at this point about cancer or heart disease. You already have the pup - lots of dogs die of these type of issues in older age - unless you know for sure the cause of the dog's death AND that he specifically passed it onto progeny (because it is one thing to be afflicted with a condition - it is entirely different thing to pass it on reliably to progeny), there is no reason to worry excessively about a grandsire.
Thanks for your reply. I have read a ton about Zamp I already know why Michelle did this breeding, I was just curious as to what kind of traits the other dogs have in his pedigree. I only know the traits from Ultri, Tony, and Zamp. I was just curious what the other dogs offered as well. Thanks for the info about Quenn! Didnt know a thing about him, but good to know he is healthy. I dont know doggie genetics or anything, so not sure how prominent something can be in lines, and how often it is passed down. As far as I know, Tony is still healthy, but hes only four years old I believe. Quantum (Zamps sire) also lived to be ten I believe, so I guess I am reading too much into it!

How do you figure out the health of the dogs in pedigrees?

Thanks again qbchottu.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

What do you mean by health of the dogs? The hip/elbow scores are on the pedigree - you can look them up on SV site or OFA if you are so inclined. As DM testing becomes more popular, you might see that listed as well (but probably not for European dogs as DM testing is not the fad there as it is in the States). Most of the big stud dogs will be mourned when they pass so you can find tribute sites or notices posted when they passed - gives you an idea of their age. For specifics and details, you must contact the owner or breeder and ask for certain. Keep in mind that unless they know you or have some professional working relationship with you - most people will not be so inclined to spill details on their dog to a stranger
qbchottu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.