What Could I Expect From This Cross? - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2012, 03:47 PM   #41 (permalink)
Crowned Member

No one is hounding and criticizing you. But, to be able to say a dog can do this or that, etc. you have to be able to train and test. Very simple.

If the time is not right for you, then wait. Wait until you research a bit more and are able to have the time and focus. Meanwhile, learn all that you can.
KK1 Griff v Tajgetosz SCH3,IPO3(BHOT) FCI & WUSV 2013
Smithie86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2012, 06:24 PM   #42 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Couple things here Bethany.

First and foremost, if you want to be a breeder, you're going to have to grow a VERY tough skin. If you think you personally have been "criticized", "hounded", or "attacked", in this thread, I have to let you know... what's been said in this thread is NOTHING like what you will get as a breeder. Absolutely nothing. Just for being a dog breeder, some folks will automatically hate you. Others will have an issue with you doing things this way or that way. No matter what you do, someone somewhere will have a problem with it. If you change and do it their way, someone else will have a problem with that. You could be the best dog breeder in the world--it doesn't matter, people will still criticize, hound and attack you FOR REAL.

I am not telling you this in order to discourage you--I am telling you this so you can get ready for it. Breeders are like politicians. They will get criticized. How they react to criticism is viewed with as much importance as anything, so think about your strategy for dealing with it, and practice dealing with criticism graciously. You wil have to bite your tongue A LOT, but you have to deal with criticism one way or another, and dealing with it graciously is better for YOU in the long run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethany.cole2013 View Post
I'm fully aware that this isn't the best and first most best choice for a breeder,
Then why would you buy a dog from them? If you could have any dog you wanted, anywhere in the world, and money is no object, what would you want?

Now, look around for something similar closer to home. As far as you're willing to go, as much as you're willing to pay. Does it exist? Maybe it will, maybe it won't. If it doesn't, think about what you would need to do to make it happen anyway. Then, see if you CAN make it happen.

This is an animal you have to live with for 10-15 years, your first GSD, the dog you will learn on, the dog that you'll spend a LOT of time with, a lot of training. Ideally, you would want a dog from the type of bloodlines you will eventually want to breed, because just by getting to know an example of those bloodlines, you'll be ahead in knowledge and experience of them.

You DON'T have to take the first thing that is convenient. It is okay to hold out for what you really want. As a breeder, you will HAVE to hold out for what you really want, or there's no point in it.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 06:34 PM   #43 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I don't think there has been anything said to you that has been out of line. You are getting into how complicated it gets when researching and buying a puppy. It's simple to say: I want a puppy and to possibly breed. But as you are finding out when you start down a line of questioning when deciding on a breeder, there are a LOT of things that you didn't even realize you had to consider before getting a pup. The reason why it matters if you can afford the time/money/resources to train is because it matters when deciding on a line, litter, or pup. You wouldn't put a high drive top sport prospect with someone that works 80hrs/week and has no time to devote to training. You wouldn't put an independent, slow to mature, tough male with a novice home. So it matters what you are able and willing to do with the dog. With people asking the questions about the dam, sire, breeder, and cross in question, you start to realize all the components to consider when selecting a puppy. I think you've gotten lots of good ideas and questions to ask. This is not criticism - this is what I would ask of ANY breeder or puppy that I was planning to get. Why am I getting this dog, is that dog able to fit my purpose, what has the breeder done to gain my confidence in the venues I wish to participate in, what do the bloodlines and pedigree offer in terms of pursing my goals for this dog, why this breeder, etc.
qbchottu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 09:59 PM   #44 (permalink)
"I like Daffy" Moderator

While schutzhund may be the best test for breeding, it is not the only form of titling available. I know there are AKC obedience and agility clubs in Louisville. And one of the biggest show weeks in the country is held there in March. So there are many ways to prove a dog's suitablity for breeding.
Home of Ch Doll; U-CDx Jag CDX GN RE NAP NJP OA AXJ(ch ptd); and Ch. Fisher (Mr. Evil)
At the Bridge: Ch Kahla CD; Ch Keno UD HSAs OA; Ch Kizzy HSAs RE; Ch Tag CD RAE2; Ch Pharra; Bee PT; Ch Natty; Ch Red the Dachshund
Andaka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 10:29 PM   #45 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Yep I agree

Trisha Koetter in Floyds Knobs IN. great for agility and rally. flyingfeetagility.com.
Carol Knight, thedogspotky.com in Mt. Washington KY. ob, agility, rally.
Shamrock Acres in Anchorage. agility and obedience
qbchottu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 10:49 PM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andaka View Post
While schutzhund may be the best test for breeding, it is not the only form of titling available. I know there are AKC obedience and agility clubs in Louisville. And one of the biggest show weeks in the country is held there in March. So there are many ways to prove a dog's suitablity for breeding.

Funny you should say that, because I do have an interest in doing AKC obedience and possibly agility/rally as well. IF I were to get a puppy from this litter and IF the puppy would be ready by March I would greatly consider showing it in obedience in March in Louisville.
bethany.cole2013 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.