GSD Varieties/ thoughts - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2012, 01:53 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default GSD Varieties/ thoughts

I read that there are different types of German Shepherds and the difference lies in their physical built. There are East GSDs and West GSDs. The East ones have longer hind legs and were used more as working dogs, in comparison to the ones from the West of Germany which were used more as show dogs, and who had shorter hind legs and so, stood in a slanting position.

According to the article, the colours can also vary from complete black to bi- coloured etc, all the way to complete golden and these can also be used in shows.

I have no idea how true all this is but it would be nice to hear other people's opinions

The other thing I wanted to write about is Pedigreed/ pure/ non-pedigreed. As I see it, every dog has come from some lineage and unless its a cross, how come it's not called pedigreed. My GSD is, as I was told 'pure, but not pedigreed'. Could someone explain please?
Zoya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 02:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Here is about as good an illustration and explanation of differences in structure as you could find --- Shawlein Fine Art & Purebred German Shepherd Dogs
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 11:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoya View Post
The other thing I wanted to write about is Pedigreed/ pure/ non-pedigreed. As I see it, every dog has come from some lineage and unless its a cross, how come it's not called pedigreed. My GSD is, as I was told 'pure, but not pedigreed'. Could someone explain please?
A pedigree is the official record of a dogs lineage. Registries are used to insure that purebred dogs remain that way. (no other breeds mixed in) If a dog is without papers there's no guarantee that they're actually purebred.

Your location is listed as Karachi so I'm guessing you're in Pakistan?
In Pakistan purebred dogs are registered with the KCP. (Kennel Club of Pakistan) The parent club for the GSD in Pakistan is the GSDCP. Home :: German Shepherd Dog Club of Pakistan
Whiteshepherds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 12:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

Types

I wrote this (very) short article a while ago.

You cannot call a dog a purebred unless it has a known pedigree (and some organizations require registration with FCI affiliated breed clubs as well) - otherwise it is just someone's opinion. They have come out with DNA testing for breeds, but I've heard it is very inconsistent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.