Hey guys, totally new to this..inbreeding? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012, 09:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hey guys, totally new to this..inbreeding?

As the title says I'm new to this and I was having a good read of my girls lines and the same name popped up twice, so it made me think inbred? I'll write down the names so you can see what I mean

This is just from the bitches side (My girls mum)

Sire Aust Ch iwan vom lechtal

Sire Karlrach Stone the crows

Dam Karlrach Final Encore

Sire Aimsway stone cold

Sire Aust CH Denagun Browned Off

Dam Aimsway Santa Montezz

Aimsway Santa Fe

Sire Karlrach Stone the Crows

Sire Schneeberg Old Crow

Dam Schneeberg Willow Wind

Dam Freevale Glorious Ingold

Sire Demtori The Executioner

Dam Freevale Dazzle the Stars

Dam Aust CH freevale star performer

Aw I can't get it come out the way I typed it The read is the same name and I thought I'd do blue for the parents of my girls mum so it might be easier to decipher

Last edited by GSDSadie; 12-04-2012 at 09:50 PM.
GSDSadie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 10:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I could be wrong, but it looks like the sire of the sire is the grandsire of the dam?

If that is so, that is kind of typical in showlines, to set type and produce champions.

That would be a 2-3 line breeding, which is the closest allowable in Germany.

Jenna, RN CGC & Babs, CD RA CGC HIC
Heidi, RA CGC
SG3 Odessa, SchH1, Kkl1, AD
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 10:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
I could be wrong, but it looks like the sire of the sire is the grandsire of the dam?

If that is so, that is kind of typical in showlines, to set type and produce champions.

That would be a 2-3 line breeding, which is the closest allowable in Germany.
Yes what you've said is right, I think (I confuse myself very easily lol) Ok nothing to really worry about then? Phew! lol
Old 12-04-2012, 10:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDSadie View Post
Yes what you've said is right, I think (I confuse myself very easily lol) Ok nothing to really worry about then? Phew! lol
Well, yes and no. It really depends on the dog and what the dog produces. Line breeding closely will not create problems, but the chances that recessive genes will show up in the pups is increased. If the dog has a problem or produces a problem it can be a big problem getting a double dose of that dog. However, good breeders will choose to linebreed for a reason, and hopefully they will only do so with a dog that checks out physically and mentally.

What do you know about this dog they used closely? What do you know about the breeders? I may be giving them way too much credit. They may be using the dog because it is available, and no other reason.

Heidi, RA CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
Old 12-04-2012, 10:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Well, yes and no. It really depends on the dog and what the dog produces. Line breeding closely will not create problems, but the chances that recessive genes will show up in the pups is increased. If the dog has a problem or produces a problem it can be a big problem getting a double dose of that dog. However, good breeders will choose to linebreed for a reason, and hopefully they will only do so with a dog that checks out physically and mentally.

What do you know about this dog they used closely? What do you know about the breeders? I may be giving them way too much credit. They may be using the dog because it is available, and no other reason.
Ah I see what you mean. I don't know too much except for when doing a google search, I was just curious I don't know the breeders. Our girl is very pretty looking though

Seems some of the dogs from the litters of his have done well though but I don't really know what I'm talking about lol

Last edited by GSDSadie; 12-04-2012 at 10:43 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

If you trust your breeder, you can ask why they chose the dog. It should be fine. I am not sure whether you say you don't know the breeders because you got her from a middle-man or because you don't know her personally but bought a puppy from her.

If you bought your dog from the breeder, you can certainly call them and ask about the dogs in the pedigree. I mean, this is after the fact, since you already have the puppy, but there is nothing wrong with finding out about the dogs behind your dog, and a good breeder will try to help you out.

If you bought your puppy from a second party things are a little trickier. You are then dealing with someone who prefers to be so behind the scenes that she never speaks to or meets the puppy buyers. That person might not be very open to questions and suspicious. There is a possibility though that your pup was the stud-fee puppy. And the breeder who provided the stud chose to sell the pick puppy.

Heidi, RA CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
Old 12-05-2012, 12:46 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
If you trust your breeder, you can ask why they chose the dog. It should be fine. I am not sure whether you say you don't know the breeders because you got her from a middle-man or because you don't know her personally but bought a puppy from her.

If you bought your dog from the breeder, you can certainly call them and ask about the dogs in the pedigree. I mean, this is after the fact, since you already have the puppy, but there is nothing wrong with finding out about the dogs behind your dog, and a good breeder will try to help you out.

If you bought your puppy from a second party things are a little trickier. You are then dealing with someone who prefers to be so behind the scenes that she never speaks to or meets the puppy buyers. That person might not be very open to questions and suspicious. There is a possibility though that your pup was the stud-fee puppy. And the breeder who provided the stud chose to sell the pick puppy.
Maybe I should shed a little info then We got her from someone who bought her from the breeder (assuming here) but could no longer have her because she had killed some of the chickens on their farm and that's how we came to have her, she's 9 months old and we've had her for 2 weeks I have the breeders details on the papers but it has no contact numbers or email, only mail address but I'm sure if I looked I could find out
Old 12-05-2012, 08:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Line breeding close will not create problems!.....???? Really?....What about health issues....temperament issues?.....I'm kinda confused.
So why does SV frown on close line breeding?

Last edited by cliffson1; 12-05-2012 at 08:51 AM.
cliffson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 09:06 AM   #9 (permalink)
"I like Daffy" Moderator

Linebreeding does not CAUSE problems, but it does concentrate whatever genetic issues that may be present. Any breeding is only as good (or bad) as the dogs used.
Home of Ch Natty; Ch Doll; U-CD Jag CDX GN RE NAP NJP (ch ptd); Sara RN (ch ptd); and Ch. Fisher (Mr. Evil)
At the Bridge: Ch Kahla CD; Ch Keno UD HSAs OA; Ch Kizzy HSAs RE; Ch Tag CD RAE2; Ch Pharra; Bee PT; Ch Red the Dachshund
Andaka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 12:20 PM   #10 (permalink)

I was concerned about line breeding the first time I heard about it and also thought isn't that like imbreeding. Then I did some rough math and felt much better.

Genetics is much more complicated, but if each parent contributes 50% of their genes to their offspring. A puppy born from two parents who have a common great grand parent would only share about 12% of the related genes. That's when I stopped worrying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andaka View Post
Linebreeding does not CAUSE problems, but it does concentrate whatever genetic issues that may be present. Any breeding is only as good (or bad) as the dogs used.
Dr. Teeth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.